• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What does honor mean to you?

Memeito

Bluelighter
Do you consider yourself an honorable person? How far are you willing to go to defend your honor? How would you react if your son or daughter brings shame to you and your family? Would you punish them to restore your honor?

I think the definition of honor absolutely matters here because some people get very specific (like in the example you used, if your son or daughter brought dishonor to your family). Sometimes people have a very rigid definition and in that case it can really be an attempt at forcing your children to conform to a certain narrow band of behavior that you yourself consider "correct", which can be damaging to children.

For me, honor means to act in a way that is morally correct and fair (ie, to act in the way that you would wish others would act).

what do you mean by honor?

You know, worthiness, respect, the way others look at you...
What would you for example if your unmarried daughter sleeps with a man and therefore brings great shame and dishonor upon your family...How would you punish her? Would you simply accept the shame or do something to redeem you and your family?

I wouldn't consider my daughter sleeping with a man before she was married to be dishonorable in the slightest. How many among us waited til we were married? I would be more concerned with the way she went about it. How old was she? Was she emotionally ready? Did she do it because she cared about him? I would be concerned about her, personally, if I felt that she did it unwisely or for the wrong reasons. But I don't believe that a child having sex with someone requires that you have to "redeem" your family, or even that that child has to "redeem" themselves. There's no shame in it, but it can dangerous and unwise.

You know, worthiness, respect, the way others look at you...
What would you for example if your unmarried daughter sleeps with a man and therefore brings great shame and dishonor upon your family...How would you punish her? Would you simply accept the shame or do something to redeem you and your family?

Are you posting from the middle ages? Accept the shame? Going by your definition then the concept of honor is something that is entirely not part of my life and that I don't give a fuck about.

Are you posting from the middle ages? Accept the shame? Going by your definition then the concept of honor is something that is entirely not part of my life and that I don't give a fuck about.

Let's say you live in a place with very religious, God-fearing people. After your daughter sleeps with a man, all the town is talking about this and they point their fingers at her and also all the members of your family. When you walk the streets, people start to spit when they see you. They shout things at you.... You receive anonymous death threats on the phone. Your children are harassed at school. Kids start to throw rocks at your house and break your windows. Over night, obscene graffitis appear on your house. Your daughter is caught by some young men, her head is shaved and they write "whore" on her forehead. The policemen refuse to investigate the incident, instead they tell you that you should be ashamed to have such a promiscuous daughter....
What do you do next? How do you redeem the honor of your family?

Move the FUCK out of there, that's what. And do everything in my power to heal the trauma inflicted upon my poor children by fucking shitty people masquerading as religious do-gooders.

I get what you're saying, but I think the ones with no honor are the people who would do such a thing, I don't feel like that would be reflected on me or my family, except in their eyes. That's their problem, not mine/ours.

^^ I understood the question as in: is honor important for you? (english is not my first language so maybe I'm wrong) so I asked him to give me a definition of "honor".

To me, honor is integrity. Integrity being your sense of morality that is born of empathy and compassion. Honor is also honesty and truthfulness.

Just watched a great movie about "honor" called Locke.

To me honor is taking action I feel is most right, despite the fact I don't personally agree with it.