• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What do you want in a safe consumption site?

assclass

Ex-Bluelighter
My community is opening a place for people to use drugs safely (will soon offer testing to ensure safe supply). They offer clean needles etc.

Love to hear what people who have or would use such a facility what you might want or need, that stupid social workers might not think of.

Sorry for privacy reasons I won't share too many details, but if there are good suggestions that aren't implemented locally, I have a voice in furthering the harm reduction agenda.

My community is opening a place for people to use drugs safely (will soon offer testing to ensure safe supply). They offer clean needles etc.

Love to hear what people who have or would use such a facility what you might want or need, that stupid social workers might not think of.

Sorry for privacy reasons I won't share too many details, but if there are good suggestions that aren't implemented locally, I have a voice in furthering the harm reduction agenda.
Super cool. Clean rigs, reagents and a private space are what I think would be most important. Past that, I’m honestly not sure. What’s on your list?

I am tempted to say a nice atmosphere, not the cold'n'clinical hospital look but that might be difficult to achieve when cleanliness and safety shouldn't get compromised. I never was in such a consumption site though so maybe my impression is wrong.

Super cool. Clean rigs, reagents and a private space are what I think would be most important. Past that, I’m honestly not sure. What’s on your list?
all of that is provided. there is minimal private space due to health concerns, but I get your point.

I'm not a user so I don't have much input, I have suggested a garden.
I am tempted to say a nice atmosphere, not the cold'n'clinical hospital look but that might be difficult to achieve when cleanliness and safety shouldn't get compromised. I never was in such a consumption site though so maybe my impression is wrong.
this is a current topic of discussion and something that I was hoping to hear more about.

Can you elaborate further on what would or would not be ok?

Hmm, I’d say some level of privacy would be nice but maybe also an area for more extroverted people as well. Of course they want to monitor the users but possibly side rooms with open doors but still out of sight that workers can periodically peer into.

When I was using still the last thing I’d want is to be in a large room with other users, I’d want to be in my own private space possibly with a TV.

In the larger group space, tables with games, pool table, shit like that. Make it a halfway fun place to hang out. TV’s on the walls, people can hang out and watch a game together like they would at bars only slightly different both drugs and setting.

-GC

Omg this is so awesome! We have had things like this in Australia for decades.

I would suggest just one wall for pamphlets and posters for drug and alcohol counselling, domestic violence support and prevention, HIV and hepatitis C information, stuff like that.

High quality H and some coke pharma grade.that sounds me seducingSterile,cold environment for a while.more than enough

all of that is provided. there is minimal private space due to health concerns, but I get your point.

I'm not a user so I don't have much input, I have suggested a garden.
You aren’t a drug user? Seriously?

Can be done. I've been in several and the ones I like best is where the facility is large enough to allow for a chill - out room next to the consumption room. I think it's important to keep the actual injecting space clinically hygienic, even if that's not very appealing; but I don't wanna be turfed out onto the street the minute I'm done.

At one place they let you have a full 20 mins in the consumption room if you needed it (like if someone needed several tries to find a vein), no rushing, all lovely and relaxed. I'd usually get a hit real quick then sit there for a couple minutes with eyes closed just enjoying it; then take myself off to the chill - out room. There were comfy chairs, a few things to read for people who felt like it, beanbags to flop on. A member of staff would check up at regular intervals just to keep an eye on people who'd dosed heavily to see if they were still alright.

You could even get a cup of coffee / tea / hot chocolate.

I also think anonymity is very important. The place I used the most, of course they needed some reference to log you in and out but they let you register under a pseudonym.

Can be done. I've been in several and the ones I like best is where the facility is large enough to allow for a chill - out room next to the consumption room. I think it's important to keep the actual injecting space clinically hygienic, even if that's not very appealing; but I don't wanna be turfed out onto the street the minute I'm done.

At one place they let you have a full 20 mins in the consumption room if you needed it (like if someone needed several tries to find a vein), no rushing, all lovely and relaxed. I'd usually get a hit real quick then sit there for a couple minutes with eyes closed just enjoying it; then take myself off to the chill - out room. There were comfy chairs, a few things to read for people who felt like it, beanbags to flop on. A member of staff would check up at regular intervals just to keep an eye on people who'd dosed heavily to see if they were still alright.

You could even get a cup of coffee / tea / hot chocolate.

I also think anonymity is very important. The place I used the most, of course they needed some reference to log you in and out but they let you register under a pseudonym.
Excellent, thank you very much, these are great suggestions. The current space may be a bit limited for a nice place to chill, but the plan isn't to toss people out as soon as they are done. Part of my plan with this thread is to get the suggestions that they need a TV/comfy couch, even if its just for the staff when its empty.

I'm not sure about the laws regarding anonymity, I had to sign in. I will certainly mention this, maybe people can register a pseudonym or sign in with a number.

I think there is a fridge for snacks/drinks, and on opening day I am going to bring some pastries, and fresh fruit.

High quality H and some coke pharma grade.that sounds me seducingSterile,cold environment for a while.more than enough
They aren't providing drugs yet, but a pilot for safe supply is coming (not bloody soon enough).
Hmm, I’d say some level of privacy would be nice but maybe also an area for more extroverted people as well. Of course they want to monitor the users but possibly side rooms with open doors but still out of sight that workers can periodically peer into.

When I was using still the last thing I’d want is to be in a large room with other users, I’d want to be in my own private space possibly with a TV.

In the larger group space, tables with games, pool table, shit like that. Make it a halfway fun place to hang out. TV’s on the walls, people can hang out and watch a game together like they would at bars only slightly different both drugs and setting.

-GC
Absolutely agree. My experience with users is that some will ask to get high in asap in front of you, and others feel "shame" they bought drugs from me and would use alone.
You aren’t a drug user? Seriously?
I don't do hard drugs anymore. I used to sell lots of drugs. I still smoke weed and do psychedelics for therapy and fun. But I don't do opiates or stimulants in part because the drug supply is unsafe. But I have time, and the ability to do some charity work to make sure my community doesn't turn into a total shit show. We have a massive problem here (drugs/homelessness), and I live in low income area that is blighted by junkies, so selfishly I am trying to make my life better by helping others.

Thank you to everyone for these comments, I will be taking this the the local organization and doing what I can to ensure these suggestions can be implemented.

Omg this is so awesome! We have had things like this in Australia for decades.

I would suggest just one wall for pamphlets and posters for drug and alcohol counselling, domestic violence support and prevention, HIV and hepatitis C information, stuff like that.
There is a station in an alcove dedicated to this with a social worker on staff to help if and when people are ready for it.

Thank you for the comment.

One rule that always annoyed me was you can't help anyone with their shot if they're having trouble - advise yes, but not actively help. And you're not allowed to share drugs. I get the no dealing on the premises but don't see what the problem should be with the other.

Oh! And something I'd definitely want is what they have at Skyen in Copenhagen (which is like THE model safe consumption site in my opinion) is free drug testing. So you can have your sample checked beforehand if you're unsure about it. I think that should definitely be on site.

One rule that always annoyed me was you can't help anyone with their shot if they're having trouble - advise yes, but not actively help. And you're not allowed to share drugs. I get the no dealing on the premises but don't see what the problem should be with the other.

Oh! And something I'd definitely want is what they have at Skyen in Copenhagen (which is like THE model safe consumption site in my opinion) is free drug testing. So you can have your sample checked beforehand if you're unsure about it. I think that should definitely be on site.
Drug testing (mass spectrometer) is currently funded and they are writing the purchase agreements, and it is expected to be a huge benefit for the community.

I think they used the Vancouver and west coast American city models.

What kind of funding would it have?
A TV and a couple of comfy couches would be great.
Tea/coffee, biscuits, fruit, maybe even those packets of cup-a-soup or something like that would be good for people who maybe haven't had something warm in their stomach for a while.

What kind of funding would it have?
A TV and a couple of comfy couches would be great.
Tea/coffee, biscuits, fruit, maybe even those packets of cup-a-soup or something like that would be good for people who maybe haven't had something warm in their stomach for a while.
Currently there are two camps.

One group wants to wait to do anything to make the experience nice, because they want to wait for users of the service to start using it and provide input.

The other group wants to do something now, and let change occur later organically from the community itself.

The first group has funding for beautification, and the second group is saying no. The project is funded for a few years by the government, so it has at least 3-5 years to prove itself. But there is some money available to make things nicer for the users of the site and the community at large. I find it ridiculous people are holding this (aesthetics) up, it's a stupid created chicken and egg problem. Committee activists suck sometimes.

TV, and microwave should be doable, and a bit of a pantry will be provided.

Currently there are two camps.

One group wants to wait to do anything to make the experience nice, because they want to wait for users of the service to start using it and provide input.

The other group wants to do something now, and let change occur later organically from the community itself.

The first group has funding for beautification, and the second group is saying no. The project is funded for a few years by the government, so it has at least 3-5 years to prove itself. But there is some money available to make things nicer for the users of the site and the community at large. I find it ridiculous people are holding this (aesthetics) up, it's a stupid created chicken and egg problem. Committee activists suck sometimes.

TV, and microwave should be doable, and a bit of a pantry will be provided.
This is so wonderful. This kinda thing really excites me.
Another thing which would be great is to have a good, well stocked, locked first aid cupboard manned by a staff member of course to assist with first aid if required. It should contain the regular first aid stuff like bandages, gauze, bandaids, lots and lots of bandaids lol, saline, antiseptic wipes, Tylenol.
But it should also contain a good supply of personal hygiene products including sanitary pads, tampons, baby wipes, disinfectant wipes, tissues.
If funding allows for it, it'd be really nice to have that kinda stuff too.

This is so wonderful. This kinda thing really excites me.
Another thing which would be great is to have a good, well stocked first aid cupboard manned by a staff member of course to assist with first aid if required. It should contain the regular first aid stuff like bandages, gauze, bandaids, lots and lots of bandaids lol, saline, antiseptic wipes, Tylenol.
But it should also contain a good supply of personal hygiene products including sanitary pads, tampons, baby wipes, disinfectant wipes, tissues.
If funding allows for it, it'd be really nice to have that kinda stuff too.
First aid stuff is taken care off, nurse on staff. Not sure about the feminine hygiene products, will make that suggestion. Along with perhaps a few basic T-shirts, underwear, socks, just in case. It isn't the only point of contact for addicts/homeless, but will likely become a hub for that community, so I think it's important to make things accessible.

First aid stuff is taken care off, nurse on staff. Not sure about the feminine hygiene products, will make that suggestion. Along with perhaps a few basic T-shirts, underwear, socks, just in case. It isn't the only point of contact for addicts/homeless, but will likely become a hub for that community, so I think it's important to make things accessible.
Yes, and especially in winter, socks will be invaluable!!