• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What do people get out of abusing antipsychotics?

People definitely do it (and not just in prison or when they can't get anything else). Why is this? If anyone on here abuses them or takes them "recreationally", why?

Quetiapine (Seroquel) is definitely by far the most commonly abused. I wonder what makes it different from other AP's in the same class.

I think Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) is the only anti-psychotic that shows any abuse potential, but even then it's minimal.
Technically promethazine is an antipsychotic. It is one of the major ingredients in sizzurp or lean.

People abuse it because it makes them feel good.

Does promethazine alone feel good or just in combination with an opioid?
I'm not sure because I actually don't abuse or use promethazine. I try and stay away as far as I can from antihistamines cuz they suck even for regular health problems.

Except for cyproheptadine and serotonin syndrome because it's a lifesaver.

Technically promethazine is an antipsychotic. It is one of the major ingredients in sizzurp or lean.

People abuse it because it makes them feel good.

Anti-psychotics don't make you feel good. And promethazine only does because its being taken with codeine so it will potentiate the codeine and help with side-effects like itching.

Anti-psychotics don't make you feel good. And promethazine only does because its being taken with codeine so it will potentiate the codeine and help with side-effects like itching.
So, thank you very much for proving my point. It makes you feel good because it makes the codeine high better.

Without the promethazine sizzurp and the lean don't make you feel as good.

Are you sure about that?

Regarding abilify - another antipsychotic-

"Dopamine agonists such as aripiprazole activate dopamine receptors in the brain, literally opening up those pathways. Among the resulting side effects are euphoria, increased orgasmic activity and pathological addictions that include compulsive gambling, shopping, binge eating and sexual behavior." - excerpt from an attorney's website regarding lawsuits against abilify

Increased orgasmic activity and euphoria sure sound good to me.

I've been manic due to an imbalance in neurotransmitters caused by medication, mania is fun. You feel fantastic.

Mania is induced by anti-psychotics all the time.

Before you make statements like "antipsychotics don't make you feel good" perhaps you should be sure what you're talking about.

Mania is induced by anti-psychotics all the time.
You know that antipsychotics are anti-manic agents of choice? Maybe do the partial agonists like aripiprazole and cariprazine carry the availablility of trigger mania in some rare cases but it's not all the time afaik.

You know that antipsychotics are anti-manic agents of choice? Maybe do the partial agonists like aripiprazole and cariprazine carry the availablility of trigger mania in some rare cases but it's not all the time afaik.
I should amend it to say " antipsychotics cause reported mania more often than you'd expect"

"Case report of a switch to mania induced by lurasidone"​

(It actually includes data regarding dozens of cases of mania or hypomania caused by multiple antipsychotics)

And here's one where it's identified that low dose Seroquel actually induces or makes mania worse. Remember they use antipsychotics for bipolar disorder

I, for one, believe that antipsychotics cause more mania in depressed and bipolar patients then is reported in the literature. Many times an antipsychotic is added to an SSRI or other serotonergic antidepressant and this results in manic symptoms or mania.

SSRI's, SSNRIs, etc., induce euphoria, hypersexuality, and mania in me and many other people. (When I was taking benzodiazepines to prevent alcohol withdrawal syndrome, the doctor forced me to take an antidepressant because benzodiazepines can cause you to try and kill yourself)

Risperdone which they gave me when I had prescription amphetamine induced psychosis did the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^a lot of the anti-psychotics i tried were relaxing, so i'm sure that helps people... i personally don't really need help relaxing or sleeping, esspecially when i have weed, but i definitely felt more relaxed on anti-psychotics. personally not my thing, but i can see how it helps people and they deal with the side effects... that's not really anything about recreational use though, i'm just talking therapuetic.

i expected more people to talk about having tried overdosing on anti-psychotics because of what i wrote my friend was doing. seems like most of the people here are probably well informed cause of sites like this and there's really not much people get from anti-psychotics other than therapy. that's probably why they prescribe them. like heroin probably helps some relax with their voices too but it's super addictive and you can get high on it, so that makes it something that doctors don't want to use.

oh thinking about it too... when i first got put on risperdal in the psychward, for the start of the medication during the first couple weeks, i was pretty much nodding from what i understand nodding to be. i couldn't keep my head up i was so tired. they'd put me in like meditative seminars where speakers would tell relaxing stories and meditation techniques. i think it's called ASMR where persons back feels super good up and down the spine from a person's voice. the risperdal definitely was triggering this... when i got out of the hospital i used some meditative tapes to relax for months until i got weened off the medication. i was surprised how strong this feeling was. i used to get the feeling before medication, but while i was on it my feelings were definitely heightened... for whatever reason not even the best meditative speakers will work on me now days. i think i gave up faith on having it work, or just don't care to feel that way, so my mind just doesn't let it work... or my brain got used to the risperdal. haven't really figured that out.

i actually thought about giving up recreational drugs and tried to stay in the hospital for meditative seminars for a while. they weren't about keeping me though... i would think they have permanent mental institutions, but they always seem to want to let me out because of my insurance. i was in the hospital for three months once, a lot of the time i wasn't on any drugs. the time i was on risperdal was only for 11 days.

^^a lot of the anti-psychotics i tried were relaxing, so i'm sure that helps people... i personally don't really need help relaxing or sleeping, esspecially when i have weed, but i definitely felt more relaxed on anti-psychotics. personally not my thing, but i can see how it helps people and they deal with the side effects... that's not really anything about recreational use though, i'm just talking therapuetic.

i expected more people to talk about having tried overdosing on anti-psychotics because of what i wrote my friend was doing. seems like most of the people here are probably well informed cause of sites like this and there's really not much people get from anti-psychotics other than therapy. that's probably why they prescribe them. like heroin probably helps some relax with their voices too but it's super addictive and you can get high on it, so that makes it something that doctors don't want to use.

oh thinking about it too... when i first got put on risperdal in the psychward, for the start of the medication during the first couple weeks, i was pretty much nodding from what i understand nodding to be. i couldn't keep my head up i was so tired. they'd put me in like meditative seminars where speakers would tell relaxing stories and meditation techniques. i think it's called ASMR where persons back feels super good up and down the spine from a person's voice. the risperdal definitely was triggering this... when i got out of the hospital i used some meditative tapes to relax for months until i got weened off the medication. i was surprised how strong this feeling was. i used to get the feeling before medication, but while i was on it my feelings were definitely heightened... for whatever reason not even the best meditative speakers will work on me now days. i think i gave up faith on having it work, or just don't care to feel that way, so my mind just doesn't let it work... or my brain got used to the risperdal. haven't really figured that out.

I never found risperdal to be sedating at all. I fucking hate the shit. Since i started taking zyprexa though i do sometimes take it for its antihistamine properties along with my morphine usually or like tonight when my nose wont fucking stop runing

^Yeah, Risperdal is terrible! I sometimes take a low dose (5 mg) of olanzapine sublingually. It helps if you have a lot of anxiety. It's not recreational, but it helps.

So, thank you very much for proving my point. It makes you feel good because it makes the codeine high better.

Without the promethazine sizzurp and the lean don't make you feel as good.

That's also only because it's an anti-histamine. It requires MUCH higher doses to have any anti-psychotic activity

Risperidone is intoxicating for me, in a bad way. I forgot who I was and why I was in the psych ward, twice so it was no coincidence. Olanzapine is strongly anhedonic and aripiprazole caused me to hear whispers in running water. Not to speak of the horrible akathisia the antagonists cause. Cariprazine was the least worse but also anhedonia inducing.

About the mania stuff, maybe for some does sudden and strong dopamine blockade leads to autoreceptors being antagonized and causing loads of dopamine to be released? But it's hard to believe for me that antipsychotics should cause a switch to mania. S/NRIs certainly can do that though but these are a different category of drugs.