• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What do drugs do to make us feel like we are seperated from our bodies???

ovenbakedskittles

Bluelighter
i have never tried any dissociatives but i have read about them and i was wondering if anybody understands what happens to our body and mind to make us feel like we are seperated from our bodies??? what does the drug do to us to cause that??? does our body just become so numb that we are just left with the stuff that we think about in our minds??? what is the scientific or biological explanation for that??? i dont understand!!!

NMDA receptor antagonism.

NMDA is a kind of glutamate receptor in your brains. Glutamate is the most common excitatory neurotransmitter. It's used for a lot of the fastest signaling. This is a simplification--and not just because I'm making it simple for you, but also because we don't fully understand this stuff--but NMDA antagonism probably separates you from your perceptions by blocking the chemical messages used to communicate perception in real time. Thus dissociation.

I'm not sure if anyone really knows why dissociatives cause hallucinations as well, but my guess would that, in the absence (well, reduction) of incoming sensory data, all of the inputs from other parts of your brain (eg. random noise, memory associations, emotions,) that normally affect your perception to a smaller extent start to play a relatively larger role in the brain's "final output."