• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What DMT containing plants are legal in the U.S.?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Just what the thread title suggests.

I've heard people mention that some DMT containing plants are legal in the U.S. but I'm unsure which.

I would REALLY like to try DMT yet I'm on an SSRI and I've heard that that PROBABLY shouldn't be an issue so long as no MAOIs are involved such as those in the Ayahuasca brew.

Is this correct?

And how could someone go about preparing a smoking preparation EASILY from a DMT containing plant?? (I have ZERO chemistry knowledge and suck at cooking so hopefully it would be easy).

Thanks

Problem is, if you're going to drink ayahuasca, you really do need an MAOI. Otherwise, the DMT will be metabolized before it starts working. Edit: I realized I slightly misread your post, so I take it that you aren't aiming for an ayahuasca brew, just something to smoke. I'm not sure if it's possible to make a smokable concoction from the DMT-containing plant material without extracting the DMT first, but I'm sure someone on here knows the answer.

As to what DMT-containing plants are legal in the US... There are a lot. A lot of them don't contain a really practical amount of DMT, such as the Phalaris grasses, but there are plenty that have enough.
The most famous and traditional one is Psychotria viridis. Some others would be some Acacia species, Yopo (Anadenanthera colubrina), and Mimosa hostilis. There are lists online that you can find pretty easily. The ones I listed above can be found very easily online.

In me checking a few species names that I wasn't quite sure about, I actually found a place that was describing how to extract DMT from the above. I don't know if you want to go into quite that depth or not, but there are plenty of resources.

Bottom line is there are a ton of plants that contain various amounts of DMT and sister chemical alike. The ones that may be worth buying online for extraction are:
Delosperma acuminatum
DMT, 5-MEO-DMT (Trout’s Notes)

Delosperma cooperi
Delosperma ecklonis
DMT (Trout’s Notes)
Delosperma esterhuyseniae
DMT (Trout’s Notes)
Delosperma hallii
5-MEO-DMT (Trout’s Notes)
Delosperma harazianum
Delosperma harazianum
Shibam
DMT (Trout’s Notes)
Delosperma hirtum
DMT (Trout’s Notes)
Delosperma_lydenbergense_flower
Delosperma lydenbergense
Delosperma_nubigenum
Delosperma nubigenum
5-MEO-DMT (Trout’s Notes)
Delosperma pageanum
Delosperma pergamentaceum
Traces of DMT (Trout’s Notes)
Delosperma tradescantioides
DMT (Trout’s Notes)

Petalostylis cassioides
0.4-0.5% tryptamine, DMT, etc. in leaves and stems (Johns et al 1966)
Acacia acuminata
Up to 1.5% alkaloids, mainly consisting of tryptamine in leaf (Lycaeum)
Alpina_mueller
Acacia alpina
Active principles in leaf (M.Bock)
Acacia angustifolia
Psychoactive Tryptamines (Rätsch 2004)
Acacia_angustissima_usgs
Acacia angustissima
β-methyl-phenethylamine (Glasby 1991)
NMT and DMT in leaf, 1.1-10.2 ppm (McSweeney et al. 2005)
Acacia_auriculiformis
Acacia auriculiformis
5-MeO-DMT in stem bark (Lycaeum)
Acacia baileyana
Source: http://www.neurosoup.com/dmt/dmt-plants/

Don't cook DMT without chem knowledge. You might blow yourself up.

How is someone gonna blow anything up with a STB extraction, exactly??

OP: https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Noman's_tek

This is one of the standard simpler extractions. Can't really help you find NaOH or naphtha as it's against the rules (I think) but it's easy enough with googling. I thought I had zero chemistry capability too when I tried it, but it's pretty damn easy.

How is someone gonna blow anything up with a STB extraction, exactly??

It seems unlikely but if you're being very sloppy, neglectful and stupid you can run into accidents.
I heard a FOAF has some pretty severe burns on his chest from the combination of naphta + fire. Always be careful, even with this kitchen chemistry (or especially with this kitchen chemistry)

while I agree that performing an A/B or STB extraction is hardly gonna blow anything (or anybody) up, I think that a basic knowledge of what you are doing is very important.
I guess what IamMe meant is that nobody needs detailed education in chemistry to do it (which is true), but the hazards of the procedere must be known. especially when dealing with organic solvents (toxic, flamable) or strongly basic solutions, which are both part of the DMT extraction.

OP: if you read up on it, I have no doubt that you will be able to perform a proper extraction safely, but please understand the process and get saftey goggles for gods sake ;)

You can seriously fuck yourself up with lye if you're not careful. Strong alkali used to break down the plant matter will also break down human cells too. Think the scene in fight club. It will blind you if it gets in your eyes, or destroy skin otherwise.

and how could someone go about preparing a smoking preparation EASILY from a DMT containing plant?? (I have ZERO chemistry knowledge and suck at cooking so hopefully it would be easy).

The easiest is taking MHRB, treating it with lye water, extracting with naptha and then recrystallzing from naptha/hexanes in the freezer. Noman's tek or the like. It takes some care and equipment but it can be done on a weekend. All you need is MHRB, jam jars, turkey baster, lye, water, wooden spoon, whitegas or naptha, and a crock pot to hold the goop.

Preparing DMT is synthesis of a schedule 1 drug though... so don't advertise you're doing so :p

while I agree that performing an A/B or STB extraction is hardly gonna blow anything (or anybody) up, I think that a basic knowledge of what you are doing is very important.
I guess what IamMe meant is that nobody needs detailed education in chemistry to do it (which is true), but the hazards of the procedere must be known. especially when dealing with organic solvents (toxic, flamable) or strongly basic solutions, which are both part of the DMT extraction.

OP: if you read up on it, I have no doubt that you will be able to perform a proper extraction safely, but please understand the process and get saftey goggles for gods sake ;)

BE CAREFUL: Yes, but even extraction from plants, as opposed to lab synthesis of nn-DMT, one still must be careful with the hazards of Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) which is horribly caustic, can boil & even explode if under enclosed light pressure with simple H2O, despite Mom used it for laundry in the 50's. I know this from managing a DVD plant where we used it to burn aluminum off Copper masks used in high vacuum sputtering of the silver/gold/silicate mirror on CD's, neutralized via 96% Sulfuric Acid. (this produces dangerous vapors, so do not use aluminum foil / utensils with Lye in these extractions; glass-plastic). As well, be careful with any organic solvents during any warming process: period. Study up before attempting any of this (in a country where it is legal) & have a fire extinguisher handy, eye protection, gloves...in any extraction with solvents. Assure safety.:eek:

My 1st impression of the concerns mentioned of blowing one up was the use of bromide in the lab synthesis procedure of making nn-DMT which can create an explosion during the final phases/crystallization by the inexperienced chemist. HR in it's many forms. %)

The tryptamines found in various species of Delosperma have negligible solubility in water - water at room temperature. With that information, freely available via Google, anyone who has taken a basic high-school course in chemistry can figure out how to go from there. Forget the organic solvents unless you want to invite the fire department & police to inspect what's left of your living quarters before taking your sorry a** to jail. Isolating a Schedule I substance from a natural source such as a plant has potentially severe legal consequences as that would be considered manufacturing a controlled substance.

Last edited:
So I couldn't find a good thread to post this question on so please redirect me if this is the wrong one but,
Swim has ordered Dried chaliponga leaf and syrian rue seeds and for the past two nights has been trying to obtain a good experience from them mixed. Instead of brewing tea swim has been gel capping both, usually 3g rue and then 40 mins later 5-10 g of chaliponga of which some is grinded into a dixie cup then taken as a shot down with water. The past to experiences for swim have just put swim to sleep. So swims question is, do you have to brew the ingredients to active the active DMT or is swim just simply not taking enough? Thanks for feedback!