• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What causes the "heartache" when taking stimulants

LaGaFàNi

Bluelighter
So to my knowledge, lots of people experience heart "burns" or "aches" when taking (meth)amphetamines or stims in general. Is this caused by the vasoconstriction - greater bloodflow from the heart, due to the chemicals irritating the nerves present around the heart, or a totally different thing?
ELI5 pls, much curiosity

I don't know what causes it, but this usually doesn't happen at regular doses. If you get this every time, you're probably doing too much. It could happen at normal doses if you have heart problems, so if you're not taking a high dose you should see a doctor about your heart and stop using stims, as they would be more dangerous for you

I myself don't have any, I got inspired by AC/DC singing about it.. How would a heartache be related to heart problems?

Well amphetamines speed up your heartrate, but not to the point where it physically hurts, unless you're using dangerously high doses. If you have heart problems though, the accelerated heart beat combined with the medical issues could cause physical pain. Stims are harmful to your heart, so they would only worsen your problems. I've never done meth, so this might be normal for meth specifically, idk, but if it happens with other stimulants you should see a doc.

So it's an underlying heart disease? If that was the case there would be many more heartattacks on meth and speeds, yet it is said to be quite safe.

I'm guessing it is an underlying heart desiese that is either not very severe or simply in its early stages. I'm a druggie, not a doctor though which is why you should see one for confirmation on this. If it is in its early stages, it's best you find out now. You don't have to tell your doc about the stims, just say you get occasional heartache.