• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What can opiate withdrawal be compared to?

^ I think you made a good point about the weather and how a heat wave makes WD more uncomfortable. The most enjoyable (if that term can be used) time I went cold turkey was the 3rd time off oxycodone. My parents have a place in the mountains for skiing and such, so I went up there the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. I think it being cold out made it much easier than in extreme heat. I had about 3 free days to spend up there and brought an array of things including some quality beers and 10 or so 2 mg clonazepam. I considered bringing MJ, but opted not to because being miles from a hospital and all alone I might have a panic attack if I got high up there. There is also a hot tub up there, which was pretty clutch, I spent about 1/4 the time in it. But the key thing was the isolation it provided. I for one do not want any contact with civilization when WD-ing. Don't get me wrong it was not a good time, but it was better than the time I went cold turkey at home in the Summer. Regardless it sucks anfd IDK why I am even thinking about it, ugh.

I agree about heat making withdrawals and even come downs much worse.
A comfortable room temperature is essential.
I have horrific memories of coke comedowns in my old non air conditioned apartment during a heat wave

Room temps about 95 lol, this apt is a toaster. Addicts worst nightmare plus I like the cold months. Way more active when I can breathe and not die from a bike ride. Still managing to get thru somehow. I even cutt my benzo dose in half which is not easy when have high tolerence like me. Pretty much isolation like you said and just lay out, meditate. Save benzos for sleep only.

^ I think you made a good point about the weather and how a heat wave makes WD more uncomfortable. The most enjoyable (if that term can be used) time I went cold turkey was the 3rd time off oxycodone. My parents have a place in the mountains for skiing and such, so I went up there the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. I think it being cold out made it much easier than in extreme heat. I had about 3 free days to spend up there and brought an array of things including some quality beers and 10 or so 2 mg clonazepam. I considered bringing MJ, but opted not to because being miles from a hospital and all alone I might have a panic attack if I got high up there. There is also a hot tub up there, which was pretty clutch, I spent about 1/4 the time in it. But the key thing was the isolation it provided. I for one do not want any contact with civilization when WD-ing. Don't get me wrong it was not a good time, but it was better than the time I went cold turkey at home in the Summer. Regardless it sucks anfd IDK why I am even thinking about it, ugh.

Sounds like the perfect place to kick.

I get anxious sometimes when I smoke weed without opiates. But with the benzos I'd be good to smoke up.

Add to your arsenal weed and pregabalin and it actually would be almost enjoyable I'd wager. I have binged on benzos before and suffered WDs from them so if I ever have to kick again I will be using benzos and pregabalin (currently on 400mg/day) sparingly.
I would probably cycle benzos, pregabalin and something like gbl, phenibut or baclofen to avoid re triggering dependence on either of these drugs. You can't hit the same receptors over and over without expecting a rebound when you stop. All of these drugs are good anxiolytics and WD aids.

Ya weed has become too paranoid and stimulant for me now off subs and tapering benzo. This is a shock to my friends because yo lets just say I someone to be reckoned with in the weed game, more like used to be. Now I can't, trying to let my receptors heal and chemicals ease up in my head before having overload. You need a good month to chill and usually can reboot or flush your system out. Excuse my ignorance but what is pregablin? Oh lyrica I hear you. Thinking about that too but side effects are hilarious on the commercial. You might be good or head fall off lool. Love the med commercials.

Last edited:
When I was withdrawing on oxycodone, it was god awful. I've never felt that bad. I had the worst migraines, the worst gurgling of bile out of my mouth..the action I call gurgling because you can't call the action vomiting, and the worst pain through out my intestines and legs. There were several occasions where my girlfriend would want to call 911, but I would tell her no, just incase someone with oxy would call...even though it would've been smart to go to the hospital. Some doctors talk like you can't die from withdrawal, but from my experience, I think that is bullshit in my case. The psychiatrist I use to go to see would even say that he's seen people go to code blue, and ER doctors would immediately change information on the chart just in case they would die.

Ya bro funny things go on in the hospital. Wonder why people rather die than go in sometimes. I think in certain circustances death could easily happen from wds. Forget the sickness I about to blow my head off with insanity. Understand the madness thats going on in your body and ride it out. People in 1800s used to go days without food,water and get shot by bushwackers, somehow they made it with no meds. So can we if have good mind for it and you taper at least. Dropping cold is deaths door.

It is just sick all around, runny nose (I yawn ALOT) achy muscles, and a lot of other problems, including, for me, extreme stomach issues. Plus, the mental depression, which I can't deal with.
Not to mention out shit out your insides...
My boyfriend was arrested and spent 2 weeks in jail, kicking heroin HARD, and the way he described it, he calls it EXTREME discomfort. But only for a few days, and then you feel fine.
I am on Suboxone, cause i CAN'T STAND being uncomfortable.

To the OP: Allow me to describe what hardcore opiate addiction withdrawals do to you. First you'll start to feel itchy, dirty, sweaty, maybe so far as unclean. Your skin hurts. The cold hurts your skin, any texture hurts your skin, it just doesn't feel right. It feels papery. Many people feel like puking, I only get that feeling because I lose my appetite, and when I've missed enough meals I begin to vomit. If I smoke pot the vomity feeling will go away, but the anxiety level may rise, a risk I usually take. I do get nasty diarrhea, from anything I eat, for about 2 weeks to a month depending on which opiate I'm coming off of. Depending on the opiate (ab)used my bones might hurt the way they did like when I was a kid, dealing with growing pains, only x1,000,000 worse, or it may be my muscles that won't stop twitching and cramping. Absolute despair and anxiety. Insomnia kicks in. And for me, one of the worst is the sweats. None stop 24/7 mainly armpit but also face/forehead sweating. And Cold Sweats, being freezing cold yet so hot you're sweating at the same time.

For the musical experience of what Opiate Withdrawals are like listen to John Lennon's Cold Turkey (Has Got Me, On The Run).

***spoiler alert***

The song ends in screaming.

Whats up with the sneazing attacks? I tell people oh my allergies. Eyes watering, sneazin weazing, cold,hot jumping legs. You all know how it goes. In this heatwave I chill at home watching old westerns like clint eastwood movies. They always in desert, no food, water, shot up and still live. Make me feel little better somehow lol. Don't know how people did it back then before hospitals and meds. Guess they were alot tougher than us.

Whats up with the sneazing attacks? I tell people oh my allergies. Eyes watering, sneazin weazing, cold,hot jumping legs. You all know how it goes. In this heatwave I chill at home watching old westerns like clint eastwood movies. They always in desert, no food, water, shot up and still live. Make me feel little better somehow lol. Don't know how people did it back then before hospitals and meds. Guess they were alot tougher than us.

Yeah thinking of people way worse off then me when I'm dope sick helps. I remember they made us watch The Grey in detox, about the dudes who crashed in the alaskan wilderness in the middle of nowhere and were being hunted by huge wolves/dying off from hunger.

I thought to myself.. well.. at least that ain't me. I'll take withdrawal over that shit any day.

Or thinking about soldiers who get their legs blown off or something in combat, and who still stay strong. Makes you feel like a big pussy complaining about your withdrawals.

Ya exactly, those movies really help or at least pass the time and keep mind off what your doing. I finally excercising real early like "normal" people. Can't believe how many people out this early, I usually dead to the world til 1 pm. Trying change up my patterns everything and anything to deal with this heat plus pawls. Taking it slow but my only symptom after about 2 weeks off subs is sneazing attacks. Someone blowing it down next to my window lol at 10am. I can't piff in this heat, already cant breathe. Dam that smell good.

Hell yeah the heat makes it so much worse. Its about 90 degrees here. On my 5th day off Suboxone, was on it for 6 months. The heat just makes you more miserable. But at least I'm sweating out all the toxins right? lol But for me, the worst part of withdrawal is the RLS and the uncontrollable feeling to literally wanna jump out of my own skin.

Ya they need to come out with something for rls. I can't complain enough about the heat making this 150 times harder. We can breathe in the building, forget going outside. I did the a.m. ride today feeling good, then 5-6 tonight feeling terrible, just from being in hot house. I out of this joint. Landlord can come live here when I bounce. Never been in such a predicament with house that heat up like an oven.

Yeah the heatwave right now is brutal. It was like 95 degrees today in NY and humid. I almost singed my back getting into my cars leather seats. By the time it cools off with the AC, you're already where you need to be, plus it's a huge waste of gas having to use that much AC.

Im sure this has been covered in the last 17 pages, but Im not reading all that (sorry). What can opiate w/d be compared to? Depends on the opiate. Heroin, time dilation (6 hours seems like 24), insomnia, PROFUSE sweating (like better get a half dozen towels to sleep on because you're gonna lose 15+ lbs of sweat when you sleep, IF YOU SLEEP). Fiending. Searching your house for that bag or pill you *swear* is there. Being generally worthless as fuck. Willing to sell your ass or suck dick for another pill or bag (not gay, but bad w/d makes you consider things you'd never consider otherwise). Thinking about knocking off a pharmacy. Robbing people for drug money. Ripping off a dealer. Shitting and vomiting. Coming up with ANY half assed plausible lie to get money to score. and that's if you dont detox in jail/prison. I can imagine the suck factor goes up by about 20 if you get busted and have to cold detox in jail. Even if (when) you make it past he physical part, the want to get high stays with you for months.

. I can imagine the suck factor goes up by about 20 if you get busted and have to cold detox in jail. Even if (when) you make it past he physical part, the want to get high stays with you for months.

Been there. The worst part is being too sick to protect yourself. You have guys mad dogging you, pushing you around, starting shit, and you can barley stand up straight let alone fight back. Kicking in jail is fucked up.