Supplements What can make one taller?

ongos

Bluelighter
Here in the Philippines I see OTC supplements sold in pharmacies to increase height or make one "grow". One of its main ingredient seem to always have Taurine as the key supplement. People here are quite taller than average and lean from my observation.

I don't think it's possible for an adult to grow (at least without lengthy and painful surgery) and certainly not with OTC supplements. Reminds me of stuff like expensive biotin products against baldness.

Once you've finished puberty, vertical growth basically can't happen as the epiphysis of long bones have closed (growth plates). However during puberty there are things that can be done to prolong the growth period by slowing down the closing of growth plates.

One can suspend themselves on an inversion table to temporarily decompress the spine to gain maybe an inch or two but that's about it.

I began by looking at diseases that cause growth after puberty and it seems that hGH is the common factor. BUT the amounts of hGH involved cause all manner of serious problems. If you think about it, the few famous people who suffered from gigantism didn't live to see old age.

André René Roussimoff
Robert Pershing Wadlow
John William "Bud" Rogan

None of them saw their 50s. Use of hGH at lower doses is still associated with some quite serious problems.

On the plus side, Their is evidence that people with a smaller stature tend to be healthier and to live longer.

I don't know if the pharmacists in the OPs nation are indeed selling hGH but it seems a drastic and dangerous thing to do. Taurine does increase the plasma concentration of hGH but it's not going to increase the bodily amount of hGH and that fact was only discovered when a small study (testing taurine with epilepsy) saw that injections of taurine substantially increased the plasma levels of hGH in 4 patients. But it only lasted for 2 hours. I can see that some research has gone into this, but unless the Filipino people suffer some hGH inbalance that taurine corrects, I cannot see it helping.

Their are also papers suggesting that a small minority of Filipino children can suffer from a lack of hGH but it's something that would need to be tested for as hGH can cause serious health issues. As another poster said, growth after puberty is not normal and seems to bring serious health problems. I cannot find any reference that suggests taurine is an appropriate of effective treatment.

If they are prepared to sell things like HGH, maybe they will also sell things that will improve your life. I do NOT mean drugs of abuse but things to make you healthier, I note that the 6 most common dietary deficiencies are:

1-Iron [Mod-Edit] Males should NOT supplement with iron, in most cases..!!!
2-Vitamin C
3-Vitamin D
4-Folate (B9)
5-Calcium
6-Vitamin B12

Now all of these are commonly found in food except for Vitamin D9 which is produced under the skin and possibly the lifestyle and possibly the skin pigmentation of the Filipino people means that it isn't being produced in sufficient amounts. 7-dehydrocholesterol is the compound converted to vitamin D but I don't think their is a shortage of that.

I enclose a link to the paper. I couldn't find anything I would be consider proper scientific references. Their are a few articles from on-line magazines and sites aimed at the general public but they wouldn't be accepted with in the scientific community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in the Philippines I see OTC supplements sold in pharmacies to increase height or make one "grow". One of its main ingredient seem to always have Taurine as the key supplement. People here are quite taller than average and lean from my observation.

Platform shoes used to be all the rage, when I was a lad....

Platform shoes used to be all the rage, when I was a lad....

Yes, everything for 'lifts' in one's shoes to stilts will reliably place the OPs eyeline significantly higher than normal, but people are sensitive about their height and there are certainly cases of bullying going on surrounding those who appear smaller and weaker. Anything that visibly shows difference is a reliable source of hectoring by the rabble. As a general rule, such people don't seem to be sophisticated and often have a secret 'difference' that could make them the target.

In another sphere, the MEP Victor Orban whose entire platform was built of popularist homophobia was caught climbing out of a house where a large (100 people plus) gay orgy was taking place. The fact he had 5 condoms in 1 pocket and 5 MDMA tablets in another lead to some quite amazing extemporising on his part.

'Oh, I put on the wrong jacket after hanging mine up in the wrong house. My coat was on the hook to the LEFT of the gimp mask'

Why did I climb out of the window? Well I thought I smelt smoke and believing their was a fire, took the quickest way out. The matches? They were for lighting my pipe which I seem to have forgotten. I didn't shout 'fire' or alert anyone because I believed everyone else already know'

I mean, you have to hand it to the man. For an unscripted response it has EVERYTHING. Oh wait, everything but factual truth.

Sorry to OT but it still makes me laugh, Like a bully that beats up small kids but on closer inspection turns out to be 2 small kids, one on the others shoulders...

I know some people who have been victims of sizeism taking up martial arts and such to prove that one's size need not reflect one's ability to defend from such characters, but I am presuming that this is now almost a trope. Like 'don't hassle that little dude - he's a cage fighter'.

Getting fitter, musclier all over. Bulking up.

I was officially 6 ft 2 in in early 2000's.

Working full time 24 active life fit beyond the elements virtually.

An astonishment really. So completely immune in life.

Following 2005's Lyme's sabotage of all normality and normal living possibility...

2007 nurse measured me. Officially 5 ft 11.5 in!

I was shorter, because my entire stature, muscularly therefore general body stretch wise and in cord bones basically shrinking to fit!

Surely?

Because for one right, take measurement of my He-Man like built up foot alone, pre 2005

Vs then/now.

Honestly there can't be far off an inch difference, in just that.

Just reporting from personal experience and alternate angle that's all

Lol, might be more appropriate if thread was named "how to get shorter in time"

Once you've finished puberty, vertical growth basically can't happen as the epiphysis of long bones have closed (growth plates). However during puberty there are things that can be done to prolong the growth period by slowing down the closing of growth plates.

One can suspend themselves on an inversion table to temporarily decompress the spine to gain maybe an inch or two but that's about it.
Have you ever seen the pics of NBA players before and after they're signed on? Some of them grow like 5 inches over the course of a year. There's something weird going on in professional sports

You could get limb lengthening surgery, although it costs a lot of money...

And you have to take blood-thinners for the rest of your life, suffer all manner of other risks and look odd because the limbs and body are not in proportion.

I've seen it done - and I have to say that the surgery team should have been struck off. I guess they are merely insuring that they will have a job for life....

Or....err.... Good old fashioned Clogs? If stilts are a no go that is.

I wouldn't recommend high-heels for the ladies though always felt that was vain cultural madness.

High shoes though!

I do consider levitation may be a real possible achievement though too.

But..... we simply have to accept who/how we are, work within & wisely i.e. nature stretch those bounds.

No artificial bio-hacking measures.

We are how we are are simply according to what we eat and how we live.

Get a procustean bed

220px-The_Modern_Bed_of_Procustes_-_Punch_cartoon_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_13961.png

Fucking nothing but surgery is gonna make you taller my friend.