• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol What can I expect for withdrawals if I drink a six pack 6 to 7 nights a week for 5 years?

V82

Bluelighter
I want to stop now. I can't do this anymore. I smoke a bit of weed with it as well in a silicon pipe.

But I need to stop now. What can I expect? How long would withdrawal last?

I just really want to stop for a while and then maybe go back to drinking once a month or so.

I have developed this bad habit over 5 years or so.

I really want to stop now.

I drink only at night between 930 and 1200.

Its hard to say for certain but probably very little physical withdrawal and mostly just cravings for it. Might have difficulty sleeping.

I once suddenly quit a multi-year, 8-10 drink a night habit (which I would actually drink in one high powered beverage containing a large amount of gin). I was shocked when I experienced no significant withdrawal. Just a little difficulty sleeping.

Physical withdrawal tends to start happening in people who drink all day long and maintain a constant presence of alcohol in their blood stream. Once you do that, and stop, physical withdrawal occurs. A six pack a night, especially with standard strength beer isn't a large amount of alcohol and I've never heard of someone experiencing severe alcohol from that. Not that it hasn't happened, I've just never heard of it.

Perhaps drinking one beer every 4 hours for years might produce physical withdrawal as it would create a constant ethanol presence in the blood and brain?

Physical withdrawal tends to start happening in people who drink all day long and maintain a constant presence of alcohol in their blood stream. Once you do that, and stop, physical withdrawal occurs. A six pack a night, especially with standard strength beer isn't a large amount of alcohol and I've never heard of someone experiencing severe alcohol from that. Not that it hasn't happened, I've just never heard of it.
Perhaps drinking one beer every 4 hours for years might produce physical withdrawal as it would create a constant ethanol presence in the blood and brain?
This. People think drinking every day will give you withdrawals/DTs but it's not necessarily so. It's the constant BAC that will do you in, because the CNS has no space to reset itself at all and like any drug withdrawals come when you're doing it all the time. In that case, and this was my case, you do get withdrawals, serious shakes, even proper DTs. But if you are drinking only at night there is simply no way that you could get this. You can get anxiety and difficulty sleeping, the latter being pretty much guaranteed if you used to drink to go to sleep, and the former I'd say the same tbh. But it ends there. You won't get tremor in any significant way (if you wake up with small shakes obviously you will get this but no more) and you'd be at essentially no risk for seizures or hallucinations or any of that fun stuff.

Probably none honestly it seems most people don’t withdrawal from alcohol unless previously addicted and are drinking essentially around the clock 24/7 in my experience

Yup, everyone is correct. You'll likely experience nothing other than mental cravings, worst case scenario some mild insomnia. The worst symptoms will be psychological like anxiety and depression due to craving alcohol.

I highly suggest avoiding activities that you usually did while you drank to avoid triggers or depression.

I drank 18 beers every day for 10 years and only experience some anxiety when I don't drink. No significant physical symptoms.

In that case, and this was my case, you do get withdrawals, serious shakes, even proper DTs.

How often were you drinking, and how much alcohol per day? Did you drink as soon as you woke up in the morning?

How often were you drinking, and how much alcohol per day? Did you drink as soon as you woke up in the morning?
maybe 4 years of at least a liter of vodka a day or equivalent starting before I'd even get out of bed :( even that is on the low end of things people go many more years even decades and that is when the really severe DTs and stuff came out. I was shaking too badly to do anything, couldn't sleep, and had a constant anxiety twinged by very low grade hallucinations (undefined things in shadows, etc.) honestly this is low on the scale of how bad alcohol withdrawal can get. I tapered with alcohol to be able to tolerate it and did so with some success although there were others monitoring how much I drank so I had some accountability in that sense

maybe 4 years of at least a liter of vodka a day or equivalent starting before I'd even get out of bed :( even that is on the low end of things people go many more years even decades and that is when the really severe DTs and stuff came out. I was shaking too badly to do anything, couldn't sleep, and had a constant anxiety twinged by very low grade hallucinations (undefined things in shadows, etc.) honestly this is low on the scale of how bad alcohol withdrawal can get. I tapered with alcohol to be able to tolerate it and did so with some success although there were others monitoring how much I drank so I had some accountability in that sense

Do you not drink at all now?

I'm sure if i really enjoyed alcohol I would have done the same thing given its availability. Never was a big fan though I drink about 7 drinks a night these days (after quiting for a few years).

It has been my experience and the experience of all my friends and almost everyone on Bluelight I've ever talked to that you can drink every night and not get withdrawals, because alcohol has such a short half life, that you're still not on it half the time. If you start drinking 24/7, that's when you'll get withdrawals. Don't ever do that unless it's just a few days here and there. My buddy drank at least 12 beers every night foe 12 years, a few days off here and there. He was worried about withdrawals and stopped for a week cold turkey and said he felt better than he had in years. it cleared up a lot of his stomach issues.

However, if you have ever been dependent on alcohol, you will get withdrawals again much more easily.

Also, please note that drinking that much every night is very bad for you regardless of physical dependence.

Thanks everyone for their replies and information. I feel much more at ease about stopping drinking now.

Maybe some difficulty sleeping but I can handle it. Think I will stop in a week.

Yeah I would expect you might experience some insomnia for a short while.

weed will get you through imho. seriously doubt any physical wd from that level of drinking even at the length of time.

Thanks everyone for their replies and information. I feel much more at ease about stopping drinking now.

Maybe some difficulty sleeping but I can handle it. Think I will stop in a week.
All the best!! And it is a fantastic decision to stop the drinking. It is literally poison. It does damage to pretty much every single organ in your body. Fuck it off and just stick with weed in my opinion :) <3
(I am a recovering hardcore alcoholic, alcohol nearly destroyed my body and nearly killed me several times, don't let that happen to you)

From my own experience I had a several year habit, all day every day (as in was woken up at 6am needing to drink and would drink until I fell asleep) which reached around 50 units (5 bottles of wine or two bottles of vodka) a day.

My withdrawal was basically a week of feeling so run down i thought I would die. Shakes and nausea etc. However no DTs, no seizures, no "major" symptoms. From what you've described your intake i would say any physical withdrawal will be minimal if at all. Psychological will be the harder part

It is literally poison. It does damage to pretty much every single organ in your body.

This ^
It really is a joke of a substance given it's organ damage/enjoyment ratio, stupidly short duration of effects and the volume needed to achieve those effects compared to any other mind altering substance.

I think you'll be okay. If you're feeling too shaky the second night Id go to the hospital. Or, talk to your doctor about it and start a valium taper right away. It's not a BIG habit but it's significant enough that those options should be considered.

I had a detox a couple years back I think it was now then began drinking 'daily' again start of pandemic. I was drinking roughly a litre of vodka a day plus the odd beers and whatever else I could afford.
I have never needed a drink first thing unless I haven't drank enough the day before. My withdrawals get progressively worse as the day goes on my heart will race like fuck I'll get clammy at about the same time every day like clockwork. When I tried to go cold turkey I was hallucinating the next day and my GP put me on librium straight away. Not trying to put you off quitting you should definitely go for it! 😁👍 But just be careful when doing so and if you can have someone with you that would be ideal.

I've withdrawn from Alcohol a few times, but I had made a habit of drinking a fifth of 100 proof rum during the day and sometimes returning for a pint in the evening. I think getting really into Heroin before beginning to drink consistently was a major reason for why I would binge so severely on Alcohol. It takes a lot of liquor, in a short period of time to produce anything even remotely similar to shooting dope.

I went through some romantic tribulations and immediately decided to get drunk. WIthin a month I was drinking the fifth every day and within two months I was waking up every morning at two needing to drink at least 4 drinkis to get back to sleep "comfortably". It was pretty fucked up. Alcohol withdrawal trumps Opioid withdrawal any day. Opioid withdrawal is pretty shitty, but Alcohol withdrawal is terrifying in a way that is hard for me to even express with words. You wake up. You're covered in sweat already. Your heart is pounding so hard and fast that you swear you're gonna die. Every thought is just a nightmare. Every good feeling you've every experienced is twisted into a grotesque shape.

I think you're likely to experience all of the usual symptoms, but it should be a pretty mild withdrawal, relatively speaking. It still will be difficult. You're gonna struggle with anxiety, depression and likely insomnia, but it should start to abate after a few days. I would personally advise cutting down one beer every couple of days as opposed to quitting it all abruptly. I see no good reason to put yourself through that. You can try to be valiant in your plans, but that doesn't necessarily entail success. Taking things too quickly will likely lead to you drinking again.

i was close to that with the beers but i was about 4 sometimes 5 pints a day - like a whole growler of IPA nothing less than 7% abv....no problems when i chilled out with that either other than some vivid dreams...it was about a 5 year run too

i really like the beers but now i don't have more than 2 pints and usually not everyday anymore

I really doubt you'll experience withdrawal except for disturbed sleep patterns. I have done your level of use and been fine. However if you start feeling shaky or have a racing heart or start feeling scared and overwhelmed, I would go to the hospital. Or if you have a long acting benzo, taking a dose a day for a few days should get you past it without developing benzo dependence. Which is what they'd do at the hospital, honestly, probably Librium.