• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What can I do with a Bachelor's in Fine Arts ??

BottleDryer

Bluelighter
Hey bluelight, just wondering out loud here.

I'm on the verge of graduating (crossing my fingers), and it's been hitting me now, harder than ever.
What exactly am I going to do with a BA in Fine Arts ? ( I majored in Visual Arts, ie; Drawing, painting, sculpting, study of art history... etc, all that fun stuff).

It seems like in this day and age, "Fine Art" is something of antiquated study ... of no practical use, ironically.

I joined the program straight out of highschool years ago , back then I was proud enough that I actually got accepted to a post secondary school (being the only one in my whole family).
Anyways, days, months, years passed and I never really considered what my future career could be . I never considered my options only because I hated what I had been studying for so long that I'm just glad to be finishing. (it's a bit complicated) .

Anyways, anyone out there know of any successful / promising career options that I could look forward to ? (to put it bluntly)

Thank you.

my suggestion is to find a college program that will give you some real world skills that you can use your fine art degree with, like graphic design or other forms of design. This is the route i'm taking although not with art but seems like a degree is rather useless on its own these days.

My wife has a Masters in Fine Art and Bachelors in advertising. She has a great job in graphic design and web development.

graphic design and web development.

that's what i was thinking.

seems like a degree is rather useless on its own these days.

this is largely true. without any internship/research/work experience, a degree (particularly a bachelor's) won't be worth a whole lot. but college is full of opportunities to get that experience, and 10 hrs/wk for a couple semesters can be the difference between waiting tables for a year or two and actually getting to do something with your education. if you can get an idea of what you want to do after you graduate, you can find some opportunities that give you a bit of an introduction to the field. nobody's expecting you to come into the workforce a seasoned veteran, but it will make your resume stand out and give you something to talk about in interviews, which helps a whole lot in the post-grad job-app numbers game.

Last edited: