• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What can Antidepressants do for a "depressed" person

I dont have anxiety, dont have insomnia, Im just bored coz im doing nothing in life.
What makes me depressed is the time wasting.
I guess a therapy would be better ?
And again: after 7 days of lexapro I stopped coz I felt kind of flat I dont like that.
And im so afraid of persiting sexual dysfunction.
But i had minimal side effects.
I guess I will switch to 5-htp again its much more expensive but it works 🤷‍♂️

So a endogenous depression is one that comes from within and a reactive one is more like a response to an (serie's of) event (s) that takes place outside the depressed person as a reaction to the trauma?

And SSRI's don't work as good for the latter.
Yeah. I've had depression in clear relation to life events. I've also had depression where everything was absolutely fine and I just woke up one morning with no will to live and no ability to find pleasure in anything, like a switch had just flicked in my brain.

The difference is very clear to me.

Been takin'zoloft for a year....and quitt it.Never felt any better,while on him...guess I ain't got depression&for anxiety do nothin'.benzos do

Not a doctor but in my opinion I believe an antidepressant could after like 8-12 weeks start to significantly given a very specific group of people (people with major depressive disorder) a chance larger than taking a placebo more drive to do things.

Possibly by changing the way your brain forms connections via activating (possibly causing some of the short term side effects) then down regulating 5ht2 receptors and increasing growth factors like bdnf

Also they may influence drive via indirectly increasing dopamine in the prefrontal cortex via 5ht1a

In my opinion if you want to know if ssris will work you need to give them at least 8-12 weeks because in the short term some of the effects could be worse then before you started because it's going in your brain triggering stuff and causing longer term changes.

Sorry it's no miracle BUT is a strong brick you can try to use to make a stable foundation with but you can't build rome in a day and it may take many kinds of bricks like therapy, add on medications, support, ect

Last edited:
Not a doctor but in my opinion I believe an antidepressant could after like 8-12 weeks start to significantly given a very specific group of people (people with major depressive disorder) a chance larger than taking a placebo more drive to do things.

Possibly by changing the way your brain forms connections via activating (possibly causing some of the short term side effects) then down regulating 5ht2 receptors and increasing growth factors like bdnf

Also they may influence drive via indirectly increasing dopamine in the prefrontal cortex via 5ht1a

In my opinion if you want to know if ssris will work you need to give them at least 8-12 weeks because in the short term some of the effects could be worse then before you started because it's going in your brain triggering stuff and causing longer term changes.

Sorry it's no miracle BUT is a strong brick you can try to use to make a stable foundation with but you can't build rome in a day and it may take many kinds of bricks like therapy, add on medications, support, ect
8-12 weeks thats insane, crazy .

I started 5htp again and im everytime surprised how well it works for me.
And the best thing it works immediately and my libido is higher.
Have even more strength in the gym.
But unfortunately too expensive.

So i was wondering if an ssri have more benefits for me then 5htp, except the price thing.

Maybe i could try or combine it with st. Johns extract or whatever the name is to refuce the dosage of 5htp to have more money.

Everyone is different. All I can say if I had access to unlimited funds and a hypothetical child even if saint John's wort , 5htp , and a ssri cost me a hypothetical parent to this hypothetical child I would still try an ssri.

Because it's not about right now it's about what has the most evidence to help long term. Plus if it doesn't work in my opinion it's still better because most doctors want to try relatively safer drugs before trying more aggressive treatment .

But im also confused about what we are talking about here.

Could you please be really specific?

Do you think you have major depressive disorder?

Like low energy I just took caffeine pre-work out

But that doesn't mean caffeine is superior to the antidepressant I take .

I hope I don't come across as trying to negate your experiences but I just think what is better or worse is dependent on a ton of things not black or white