• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What are your personal and best reasons for staying sober?

Havocsfool

Bluelighter
Just looking for some motivation here. Not really wanting to quit, but at the same time seeing how bad things get for some makes me want to. I draw the line at damage to my body and I don't IV or smoke, unless I get health issues I won't stay sober without more motivation. I realize that only I can provide that motivation, but I like to hear from others. I need spiritual/emotional/mental reasons. I'm very curious why you choose sobriety and what sobriety does for you?

The first night I sleep under a bridge. Then I will quit my shit.

Probably the most significant reasons for me are more practical. Like, I won't be able to accomplish my professional goes if I continue using. Or I cannot deal with risking getting arrested for drugs anymore (well, not like I ever could afford it, but I didn't used to think about it so seriously before as I kinda figured I'd just die young).

I can relate to the cant shit part ....i take cherry flavored milk of magnisia and i can not stand the taste so everytime i take it ...it stregthens my resolve to quit ughhh i hate that taste ...

Other readon the FDA is really putting the hammer down and i would rather taper then just get told at my doc appointment that my doctor can no longer prescribe my pain axiody meds

And the other reason is i just want to be off even though i get mine from my doctor i still feel very self concious about what people think

If not for those reasons i would be happy to stay on my meds i was bedridden for a couple of years before i was put on them ..but i did have some surgerys so maybe i dont need them now ..I hope ...

When I was using, I was always paranoid and/or depressed unless I was high. Over time the paranoia and depression got worse and worse. I finally tried to kill myself and wound up in a psych hospital for a month.
I came out of that experience never wanting to feel backed into a corner that way again. Remembering how alone and scared I felt right before the suicide attempt keeps me motivated in my recovery...though I definitely still have moments where I miss using.

I can relate to a lot of these
"Cant laugh.. Will never accomplish my goals ... cant risk getting busted (again)..depression... feeling isolate.. self conscious about my addiction"
Ill add some more.. It was expensive. It was ruining my relationships with family and friends.

However, none of these were never really enough ...
Through some close calls and life changes (some of which I chose and some that just happened), I chose to reevaluate my lifestyle...

In the end what really did it for me was, as they say, I was just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
Mentally and physically.

Despite starting my thread here in sober living a year ago I struggled at first. A week or two here or there. Then I would regress.
However as I kept up with my healthful routine (strength, cardio, yoga, meditation and a healthy diet) I was able to see more clearly.
Then I lost a close family member. And I regressed. Then I was clean for a bit doing the routine. Then I lost a friend. Regressed. Family emergency - regress.
See the pattern? I sure did. But I kept at it and am still trying to develop new healthy patterns

But despite all of our personnel reasons, my advice is to find yours - whatever it may be. And then stick with.
Perhaps through mindfulness ? - it really helped me come to my senses.
It may be a long road but the farther you go in the right direction the easier it is likely to become.
Dont get discouraged if you stumble once or twice or thirty times. Just keep your reason(s) in mind and keep on keeping on.

Best of luck on your journey.
TOC

I absolutely love myself and the ease of life i find by only smoking weed before bed. As a former junkie (two years off). I have what I call "memories of a life that i didnt live" its so hard for me to picture being that weak and pathetic again, begging for a front money from my parents crying with my then girlfriend almost every night about how fucked up our lives became. Having to clean her up after suicide attempts, having all of my stuff be old and suck, being sick constantly... all of that is over. My now ex girlfriend works at the office i do (couldnt get a job after 4 years out of work and shooting up so i got her one) and has been clean as long as me and we are both in the best shape of our lives because we work out.

I have memories of listening to The Cures "to wish impossible things" and thinking that we would never get out of it crying wanting something to change... I remember feeling so lost and helpless wishing i wasnt me, what a fool i was.

I decided to quit in fear of moving onto dope at some point and risking my life just to catch a high that my body will always end up getting tolerant to if I keep using, also nothing started to matter anymore but pills and getting my fix. Everything starts to fall apart and even still then it's not apparent to the extent that it will make you stop bc you don't care and once things are messed up who gives a fuck right??? Getting high masks it... I just wanted to live life without the fear of withdrawals and taking something to make me not sick for the rest of my life... remember my life with my child and get things back on track. It makes me upset to see everything I let go in life and how it affected other people around me. This little friend of mine is going down!
I've only been clean from subs @ 5pm for 5 full days. I also see them as evil life stealing bitches those pills. Now clean 5 days my head is so clear it's crazy how your head is so empty on pills no emotion whatsoever so numb......

Last edited:
I absolutely love myself and the ease of life i find by only smoking weed before bed. As a former junkie (two years off). I have what I call "memories of a life that i didnt live" its so hard for me to picture being that weak and pathetic again, begging for a front money from my parents crying with my then girlfriend almost every night about how fucked up our lives became. Having to clean her up after suicide attempts, having all of my stuff be old and suck, being sick constantly... all of that is over. My now ex girlfriend works at the office i do (couldnt get a job after 4 years out of work and shooting up so i got her one) and has been clean as long as me and we are both in the best shape of our lives because we work out.

I have memories of listening to The Cures "to wish impossible things" and thinking that we would never get out of it crying wanting something to change... I remember feeling so lost and helpless wishing i wasnt me, what a fool i was.

Warmed my heart. :)

Life is tough. You have to be on your own side, abandoning yourself makes it impossible, it is the worst mistake anyone can make.

I like how you turned the tone of this thread's responses on its head :)

Well honestly all I see around me is the good in getting clean. I have seen my best friend (ex g/f) go from being depressed, ridden with anxiety, suicidal and hopeless into a confident strong woman who removed her entire need for other people through loving herself. My younger brother went to prison a paper thin crackhead/junkie whose priorities were out of wack, that was two years ago, hes now a competition body builder, my personal workout couch/dietitian, and works 40-50 hours a week.

Those two people are the only ones I actually care about because of what we went through. I remember almost punching my brother in the face over a push from a stem, i remember my g/f purposefully crashing her car, with me in it, because we were fighting so much over dope and as i said she was suicidal, i personally almost ODed at work, none of that was fun. Its so nice having all of that in the past, its hard not to love yourself when you conquered so much. My story is way longer then that and would give reason as to why i feel this way but eh its not important. What is important is everyone realize that it is possible to change, seriously i had no idea my ex could actually be happy with herself and think she was 1 in a million after so much trying to convince her she was for almost 6 years we were together. Going to prison got my younger brother into fitness because of his cell mate. And i was always confident in myself now i have another battle field that i conquered and pulled some people off of, ill never think i cant do something again because of how hard it was to get here. So many people dont know what they are capable of i know that a burning desire so deep it cripples me cant stop me from achieving what i want.

Normal shits.
Being able to work out.
More money.
Regaining sexuall interest.
Less moody, better friend and brother and person overall.

Despite knowing this, and having several friends dying from drugs, fucking up their lives on drugs, I can't stay sober.

I already lost everything when I went sober so in a moment of clarity realised I was going to die so moved away, cut all ties and put the renains of my money out of reach.

Worked for 8 years.

The biggest reason, my fiancee
Money
Withdrawal
Professional goals
Getting back to healthy lifestyle with fitness & sports

My mom and my brothers and my Beautiful babys mother and most importantly my beautiful 1 year old son...oh and I was homeless at 23 running around downtown la sleeping in staircases and stealing and spanging and slamming ...it was getting crazy. I'm Currently on subs right now..i don't abuse them either..im just tryna fix everything I fucked up...but rn at this moment .life is good ....

That is awesome how far you've come! I hope you give yourself plenty of credit. When I look back to that part of my life and how far I've come, it can be difficult to give myself due credit sometimes, but it's a worthwhile practice in this case.