• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What are you currently reading? v2

Chris Morris Biog. been reading it on and off for way too long. this weekend it's getting finished. it just makes you want to go off and rewatch whatever show is being written about as youre reading though, so it's fucking unhelpful in actually getting the thing read.

well written though

!CD)w51gBWk~$(KGrHqR,!hIE0fgV1UVwBNPw!t(,3!~~_35.JPG

Shantaram. Had three separate unrelated conversations lately about the awesomeness that is this book. Beautifully written, fast-paced adventure, captures India perfectly, brim full of philosophy and deep thoughts without you even realising they are there half the time. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I just finished this. It was a brilliant read, and i'd recommend it! I must say it becomes formulaic towards the end, and his opinion of himself is ridiculously high though, and it is a tad long too.

I've moved onto this now:
200px-AmericanPsychoBook.jpg

Yeah that was my only complaint, he is pretty full of himself. To be fair though, he has kinda earnt the right to be :D

American Psycho is win <3

:|

but also <3

That aside, am torn between Crime & Punishment or Don Quixote for my next thrilling pageturner. I know both are classics but am yet to decide cos the former is printed in really, really small font in my copy and makes my eyes a bit wibbly and the latter would break my leg if I dropped it mid-read. Will be sure to let y'all know which I go for as and when.
Don Quioxte is very readable and endlessly funny despite is venerability.
Crime and punishment is not nearly so satisfying and is the grey of a Russian winter rather than the sun of the warm south.

I am read Nick Harkaways vast streampunk spy and gangster noir, Angelmaker.
I am also in the middle of Declan Burkes Absolutely Zero Cool, a Chandler meets Flann O Brien, crime novel which gratifyingly is set in my home town.
I recommend both.

Yeah that was my only complaint, he is pretty full of himself. To be fair though, he has kinda earnt the right to be :D

American Psycho is win <3

Have you managed to get to the bottom of how much of Shantaram is true? I can't figure it out, but it seems to me as though it is an amalgamation of his story and dozens of stories that he has heard into one character. I know that all of the main characters are in fact a few people rolled into one.

Just done in Kill Your Friends by John Niven, as recommended by PTCH. Cracking little book, it's got that kind of twisted amorality tale feeling that a lot of Will Self's stuff had (when he was better) but it's set in the UK music industry in the 1990s. Lots to like, including a brilliantly loathsome protagonist and lots of horrible goings on.

I like the sound of that CM book, picture on the cover's a bit dodge though, innit (ie looks nowt like him)? If you have a little poke around online there's an archive of all his Radio 1 music shows which is well worth grabbing.

Have you managed to get to the bottom of how much of Shantaram is true? I can't figure it out, but it seems to me as though it is an amalgamation of his story and dozens of stories that he has heard into one character. I know that all of the main characters are in fact a few people rolled into one.

No, I tried to do some digging but was unsuccessful. To be honest I think I'd rather not know. Tis the spirit of it that matters.. things can be true without being entirely factual (shit I sound like him now haha). He captured India perfectly I must say :)

originoflife_small.jpg

Onto this now. Absolutely amazing :D

Recently Finished:
Kill Your Friends - John Niven
Recommended on here (different thread I think)
Very funny - based on a morally bankrupt A&R guy at a Record Label - with added American Psychocandy

Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge
Anthropologist who samples Ayahuasca while living with South American natives goes on a scientific journey to try to prove his theory that the shamen (not Mr C's lot) are connecting with a universal repository of knowledge while tripping in outer/inner space

Just Finished
Bound for Glory - Woody Guthrie
Thought I wouldn't finish it during the first 2 chapters, where he paints himself as a very precocious kid and overdoes the down-home ornery language, but it developed into an enjoyable mix of On the Road and The Grapes of Wrath

Last edited:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower.. really enjoyed it.

Just finished The Hunger Games on the kindle ready for the film. Love a bit of Jennifer Lawrence. Winter's Bone was great.

Just about to start reading 'Face to face with Serial Killers' by Christopher Berry Dee.
Borrowed it from a friend as I used to love reading about true crime etc and not picked up a book for quite a while.

Just started reading A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess.

I didn't have any ides until now that both the American book and the film totally cut chapter 21, the last chapter something Burgess was far from happy about, not just because of the deliberate use of 21 chapters, representing the coming of age thing but for the content as well.

So looking forward to getting the full original version as it was intended.

Looking a few recommendations on actual readable contemporary classics for someone with not a great grasp of the English language. I'm not thick but the more complicated word tend to catch me out.

Tried Fitzgeralds "This Side of Paradise" (got through "The Great Gatsby" ok) but I'll be honest enough to admit I didn't understand half of the words which just made it pointless and annoying.

"On The Road" was great I thought which I've just read also Jack Black's "You Can't Win".

Thinking post war here.

Just finished Haruki Murakami's "Norwegian Wood" very enjoyable and an easy read.

Just reading 'HYPERSPACE' A scientific odyssey through the 10th dimension by Michio Kaku.

Absolutely amazing book imo.
I suppose the title would be a little off putting for some but trust me you don't have to be a higher physics major to understand it.
Anyone that's into their swirls should find it fun.

Apparently it was Muse's inspiration for making their second album 'Origin of symmetry' while they were messing around with magic mushrooms.

I've just finished All Quiet on the Western Front, which was appropriately depressing!

I've now started on Sam Selvon - The Lonely Londoners, which seems like it should be good. It is set in London during the late 50s/early 60s and focusses on the experiences of the wave of West Indian migrants, so it is all written in a creolized voice. At times I'm actually finding it harder to understand than some of the thick patois I used to hear at a job I had, I think it is because when reading from the page I have to work out the rhythms and emphasis myself.

+1 to Murakami.

Currentle reading Kiran Desai - The Inheritance of Loss. Picked it up from a charity shop and it is excellent!

_42171990_desai_203b.jpg