• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

What are some strains from illegal states?

NorwegianElkhound

Bluelighter
I know Deathstar comes from Ohio, I believe bubblegum came from Kentucky, diesel from NYC I believe, what are some others?

Hundreds, if not thousands of other strains. So many that it is pointless to start naming them. leafly or wikileaf will give you hours of info to pour over. In many cases you get lineage.

But, ok..... Death Bubba and God's Green Crack from Jordan of the Islands.

Tom

I guess NYC Diesel although I guess it's not illegal there anymore

Big Bud is one of the popular strains in illegal states due to the large yields it can produce and the grower/dealer can simply pass it off as any name that they think will help make it sell. Strain names aren't as popular in illegal states because of the difficulty in verifying the legitimacy of the product.

Legal states are not only more reliable but they generally have a more accessible and larger selection of strains. I've even seen the Big Bud strain sold in legal shops, however it was some of the most inexpensive bud (practically giving it away) they had in the shop as it should be.

Pa has abundant hemp crop. Last strain I got was no name but the one b4 that was strawberry cough.

W01fg4ng - God Bud was and still is big in BC. It formed the basis of a number of hybrids (?) one of which is ‘God’s Green Crack’. Sounds dirty but I’ve encountered it in flower, oil and distillate forms.

I always wondered about the nomenclature of weed when it was illegal (where I live in Canada). We (I) didn’t start getting named weed reliably until I started buying from dispensaries and not off the street.
Tom

W01fg4ng - God Bud was and still is big in BC. It formed the basis of a number of hybrids (?) one of which is ‘God’s Green Crack’. Sounds dirty but I’ve encountered it in flower, oil and distillate forms.

I always wondered about the nomenclature of weed when it was illegal (where I live in Canada). We (I) didn’t start getting named weed reliably until I started buying from dispensaries and not off the street.
Tom
God Bud won the 2004 High Times Cannabis Cup but Big Bud won the 1989 High Times Cannabis Cup.

Is there a link between the two strains? It looks like they both have a unique lineage, God Bud being from Canada and Big Bud being from the states.

I've lived in a few "illegal" states and the strain Blue Dreams seems like a main stay. It's a nice sedating buzz that is very popular. If I'm ever in a legal state I'd like to see how it compares to what I've had in the past. In illegal states a lot of times dealers will just call random strains whatever is popular that month/year to move them. I'm not sure how much is grown locally anymore but I imagine most of it is. Every guy claims to have a guy bringing legit flower and cartridges of oil in from legal states but I'm sure most of that is just BS. The only time I believe them is when a friend comes back to visit from a legal state like Cali or CO.

One thing I'm grateful for is the fact that since some states have gone legal good old Mexican brick weed is nowhere to be found. It's so rare now that you might spend weeks looking for it and those that prefer it complain about never being able to find it. Prices have gone up for weight but the quality is so much better than it doesn't even matter. We've come a long way from the days when "hydro" and "Christmas tree" would only appear for sale once or twice a year. The market has been flooded with high quality flower and the prices have normalized now. Quality bud is the new normal and no one I know wastes their time selling or smoking brick weed anymore.

I know you asked for states but its an interesting topic so will provide a few from my side of the ocean (UK) The most famous being Cheese.
In the 90s the Exodus collective were a group of ravers from Luton that ended up occupying an abandoned hospital. There they found a skunk #1 phenotype with the unique cheese characteristics, this was distributed as clones for years until a few people attempted to produce seeds. The seed varieties of cheese were lacking a lot, so unless you had it in the UK I highly doubt people have tried real exodus cheese. Psychosis was another from exodus, coming from NL x5 haze by Sensi. While these weren't actually bred over here the phenos were discovered. Blues, was bred from notherlights and big bud possibly crossed with a blueberry, back in the later 90s early 2000s. One of the few well know strains actually bred in the UK, there are far more now but none have taken hold like those three.