• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

What are some grow lights that you can reccomend? What amount of WAT is ideal or neccesary for indoor growing?

Aeon Psyche

Bluelighter
Gonna grow a few plants indoors and I wonder what lights I could get. How strong should it be? Since it must be affordable too.

If you could link me to some examples I would be really thankful.

Salutations,

Electricity requirements expressed in Watts don't directly translate as a photon flux enacting proper photosynthesis and more, though i recently received some fine multimedia suggestions showing we probably ain't heard the last word on it just yet:

Good day, have fun!! ☮

Look at lumens not watts. Also from my experience you can grow cannabis with about any amount of light but it’s all about the yield you’ll get.

I used to have a little setup which was a 3 stage, first stage was simply 3 CFL’s (cool for tighter veg growth) in a small box. Soon as they get about a foot high they moved to a hollowed out dresser with two sides, each side equipped with a 150watt HPS and T3 Fluor side lighting. Both of these stages were flower stages.

With this I could produce a few oz’s of decent bud a month in a setup that was invisible when you walked in the room. It was still smellable though so while the grow was hidden the plants had to be moved or chopped if people wanted to enter.

The plants were about 18-24 inches tall, usually bent over to fit in the box and usually grown throughout other plants. When I was done I had to take them all out as one mass because they’d grow so intertwined.

The lowest level of light I’ve seen is a plant that grew in a lady’s bathroom with very minimal sunlight coming in through a window. It grew about 6in tall and had one bud on top like a little flower.

-GC

What kind of men does Mary Jane like?
Lumen!
*crickets*
...I'll show myself out

Seriously though, fluoros are a solid choice if for no better reason than you can find them at Home Depot and don't have to order in any exotic bulbs or ballasts. Being able to just screw in a CFL and watch it glow is a wonderful thing and lets you focus more on other aspects of the grow

Not so much lumen as umol/m2/s or the ppfd, lumen only measures a small part of the total spectrum. Go for about 500-800 ppfd, good for flowering, halve that for veg approximately.

Quantum boards are or were all the rage a year or two ago, I suggest led, but only if you like assembling your own lights. Not that those kits are hard to mess up, it's pretty simple. Lowest wattage highest returns, if your house is a little insulated anyways, try growing in the winter with leds without a heater blasting on them 24/7, bye bye electricity savings.

But fluoro's are a good begin, cheap and good to start out with, leds can be a little trickier.

what is your budget for the light, and budget for grow room? What size of a room are you building?

Would 2 LEDs with 5500 lumen each be enough for 9 m2? With 50 watt each it won't be a big change on my electricity bill, right?

Salutations Aeon Psyche,

...it won't be a big change on my electricity bill, right?

Wrong if you're tied to a logging meter which registers 244 events per day, not to mention in 3 dimensions: current, voltage and phase. So be advised that electrical appliances have signatures and it turns out indoor gardens with their familiar 12/12 flowering schedule are just too obvious no to show up, provided there's a desire to find it. Electric providers have cooperated with police operations before, although power consumption may seem relative its signature remains no less evident, especially that controlled by timers with crystal-based precision behaving as absolute metronomes...

Considering there's typically 5 minutes between each sample it may be possible to balance the schedule between a pair of complementary/separated sessions but this would defeat the use of devices with slow pre-heat cycles as HPS lamps. In any case the consumption pedestal still won't disapear, it's only made flat while its barking voice is left intact.

Good day, have fun!! ☮

He means if you have a smart meter they can see your electricity consumption throughout every hour basically, most new buildings have them overhere, but you can still deny changing to one if they demand you do so, old meters rule

And no 2 of those 5500 lumen ones won't be enough for 9m2, won't even be enough for 1m2. 5500 lumen for 50watt is not efficient either, don't buy any of that crap. You want 50.000-60.000 lumen per 1m2, approximately, for flowering.

One suggestion I already made, Quantum board (v1 kit), they're already older generation so you can get them for cheap but they're still great. All you need to do is screw the heatsink to the board, attach the driver and wiring and you're done. Or you can go for those chinese knockoff boards, cheaper but might not be what you think it is, or go big and buy something preassembled from fluence or my gavita friends. Do this about 9 times if you want to grow on 9 square meters.

Seriously, try out a small space first before you're going to spend a bunch of cash on something that you will likely fuck up the first couple of times. Also ask and read more, the more you know the easier it'll all be, I didn't know shit about leds a couple of years ago because it was absolutely garbage in the previous decades, but it's not that hard when you become familiar with all the nomenclature, just tedious when you don't know where to begin.

This is a good place to start:

Not just consumption.
Data-Logger-Record-400x280.jpg

Differing applications can be recognized because of a characteristic "voice".

Egzoset, I didn't mean to offend you. I just hadn't googled a lot of the terms you used, yet. Forgive me, I'm new to this.

And blowmonkey, thank you. That is a lot more clear to me and now I understand what I needed to know.

Start with your environment.. what are you working with? How high are your ceilings, how big is your room, what's your ventilation and cooling systems capacity, are you supplementing CO2 and how experienced are you with providing nutrients? Picking lights based off these parameters will get you the best results in the end.

Last edited:
I'm sure police and power companies can realise a hps garden bcoz of its obvious amount (400,600,1200w) consumption for a set period of hours but it might still be too early to say they can recognise this same pattern with LEDs.i mean isn't a led light like 1/8th the power of an equivalent hps bulb for a given amount of m2 growspace.thats the whole point of LED growlights correct? That they don't use anywhere near as much electricity

One of my better rounds came off a legal room that had a 68 strain field under thirty double ended Gravitas, dumped the CO2 on them and had two new 20 ton commercial air conditioners dialed in. A tich under two hundred plants and pulled 90+ pounds flower or over three per Gravita. I painted that particular room so rainbow and dank it all sold before harvest and loaded up more then a few top shelves in Denver.

Look at your grow space. Celling height is key. Different grow lights need to be certain heights above your canopy. Temperature is paramount in successful growing. Different lights give off varying amounts of heat. The greater the heat the more need for cooling and ventilation. The higher the intensity of light the more nutrients the plants will need. I have grown in rooms so bright there was no place on earth that had natural light that is more intense. This type of light can play havoc to micronutrient levels and may require really pushing ppms. If your starting out or still mastering your nute game then pick the best light for your room and situation and follow factory recommendations for spacing and check with a light meter at canopy height.

Last edited:
For 1m2 you don't have anything to worry about, if you pay for your electricity it's fine usually, just have an excuse ready for your spike in power consumption if you do decide to grow on more than 1m2, it's the smell mostly that you should worry about. For big operations you have to deal with power consumption on set times, harmonic distortion, emi, heat signatures, water damage, ofcourse the smell again, etc, if it's illegal anyways. There's countless of ways to get caught really, but a small grow for personal use doesn't raise much flags.

But yeah, take everything into consideration. Leds mean a different and usually heavier nutrient regiment, hps/metal halide create a lot of heat, which can be both beneficial and detrimental.

Salutations Draculic Acid69,

...they don't use anywhere near as much electricity...

It's not only about the amount but also its associated profile (e.g. relatively to time). So please read the manufacturer's own documentation in search for further details if/when given an opportunity, for example:

Vancouver Sun: New B.C. Hydro devices save millions of dollars from cannabis-growing power thieves (2016-Nov-4)
« Now, B.C. Hydro has permanently installed 4,000 “check meters” — TGI Raptor 3 sensors manufactured by Vancouver firm Awesense Solutions. These are hooked directly to overhead lines so staff can wirelessly and securely pinpoint where power is going. An additional 1,000 Raptors are moved around as needed.
B.C. Hydro uses more than 10,000 measurement points on the grid to concentrate inspections in areas where there are losses. »

M'well, it's not like we won't find the brand & model directly marked on our own meters anyway.

:rolleyes:

Too bad if it still needs to be repeated so many years later but it turns out the days of wishfull thinking are history, so don't even expect random household appliances to mute crystal-precision signaling which clearly falls above the hundred Watts range, much less with an antenna directly monitoring our plant's power input!

Make no mistake, it's never been about theft only... YMMV, especially depending on the province:

SRC: Hydro-Québec veut s'attaquer à la contrebande de cannabis (2016-Aug-13)
« L'électricité comme arme contre la contrebande
Le gouvernement du Québec consacrera 10 millions de dollars par année pour lutter contre la contrebande de cannabis, à l'image de ce qui se fait pour le tabac ou l'alcool. Comme l'énergie est l'une des principales dépenses dans la production de la drogue, Hydro-Québec croit pouvoir jouer un rôle important. »

In concrete terms this translates as police operations, for example:

SRC: 19 arrestations dans le cadre du démantèlement d'un réseau de production de cannabis (2017-Jun-6)
« Près d’une centaine de policiers, provenant aussi des services de police de l’agglomération de Longueuil, de Laval et de Roussillon, ont pris part à cette opération. Revenu Québec et Hydro-Québec y ont également collaboré. »

Those meters are not only designed to monitor individual client consumption, they actually form a collective net capable of indirectly detecting "defects" OUTSIDE of the measured grid, registered in 3-D for posterity as i pointed out... So maybe you'll get lucky as a result of some human factor(s), but anyway keep in mind the data remains obvious and objective long after harvest, even once a garden is gone!

Human thinking is most inadequate here, just because 12/12 LED indoor gardens have only 2 beats a day this doesn't mean they're free of any specific signature at all, quite on the contrary... Although it's quite another timescale which we can't perceive with our natural senses that's no less real and valid, so even if one could deal with his consumption pedestal (by balancing total load to make it flat-looking through time) all residual transitions would still show up unaffected in the time-domain unless such switch-over events are carefully masked by a regulating buffer, possibly complemented by a mix of delayed redistribution and fake signatures, euh... Notice the agravation in search for absolutes?

In any case nothing i can imagine happens to "sing" like indoor cultivation in the flowering phase! To say otherwise is like pretending sunlight is black... In other words some of us may prefer not to have their electricity bills associated to it and theft only makes the situation worse.

Good day, have fun!! ☮

Last edited:
Ok so in a situation where they look for it they might be able to recognise it.
That's to be expected.perhaps bcoz LEDs use less electricity than hps lights a couple of solar panels or a battery bank would be sufficient.