• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

What are some good veins to hit besides your arms?

My favourite "emergency vein" is the one that runs along the inside of the knee. It's huge, very easy to hit and can take a bashing. Not that you wanna be beating any vein into submission but I save that one for when I'm really stuck for a vein and it serves me well.

I'll second the hands and (especially the feet - fuckin' ow :D) being not such a good idea cos you can do a lot of damage their. Miss a vein in your foot and you won't be walking for a few days :\

Having said that, I've used every one of them - even fingers and toes :| - so I know they work. I wouldn't advise them but there's a fat vein on the inside of your ankle that can be a lifesaver if you really need it. Mine are long dead now along with most of the rest of my veins. They were always bad (I've had to put the needle in myself for bloodtests before now cos doctors/nurses could never hit them) but they really are on their last legs now. Look after your veins cos you really will miss them when they're gone :|

Thank you for the knee vein insite. It just saved me another hour of digging and poking. Thank you! Sure enough went right in, registered right, pushed in perfect, and got my whole shot. Thank you for the information. I will second the knee vein she speaks of, as it worked for me, and I have literally no veins left...

When the veins in my arms got too much scar tissue to hit, I started using my hands, and hit no other spots for over a decade. Granted, in that time I had become much more skilled with the needle. But I'd advise caution using the hands. Yes, the veins are accessible, but small, and if you're not careful, you can put the needle right through it, and you don't want to miss! 8o

dude i shoot 3 times a day subutex... was doing heroin but for subutex my technique goes as folllows

1. MicronFilter every shot
2. New rigs every shot. at most i use a rig twice.
3. Switch locations
http://imgur.com/kYVAZTF
http://imgur.com/a/facRj
http://imgur.com/9GvvnMO
http://imgur.com/MtS7nIS
http://imgur.com/AnkBbXA

my veins look healthy as fuck.

I would like to add' I literally do not miss... i use 1/2 long rigs... but anyways what i am adding is, i just started to shoot subutex again... i was plugging for a long time and it is awesome, i guess i just got an itch for needles again... when i would shoot in my HANDS in the pictures i posted the only side effect i got was after about 6 months of doing it, my hand/arm would fall asleep a lot while i was sleeping if that makes any sense... you know tingly feeling and what not... after i stopped about a month later that went away...

the main thing to keep your veins safe is in this order IME...

1. NEW RIGS. when you reuse the rigs it gets dull fast... you cant tell with the human eye but there are pictures from a microscope of how the needle looks just after the first use... reusing rigs is what causes the most damage IMO because its basically puncturing your vein on the second/third/fourth time instead of just peircing through it with ease... rotating sites is also important but you get collapsed veins IMO from using dull needles...

Last edited:
Some people (such as myself) just don't have any visible veins. This really pissed me off cz I knew they were there and had to fish about for them. Even then after very little use they just disappeared and I started using my femoral. I never had any trouble, cleaned area first and used all new kit every time but last week was diagnosed with dvt after a year of 4-5 times a day use so really think about it if ur thinking about going in ur groin. My leg nearly doubled in size n I'm on meds for it for next six month. Even though I was extra careful and never missed it can still go wrong

Alternative help for DVT

. . . last week was diagnosed with dvt after a year of 4-5 times a day use so really think about it if ur thinking about going in ur groin. My leg nearly doubled in size n I'm on meds for it for next six month.

Hey Benny so sorry to hear about the DVT. I've added a link that was extremely helpful when my step sister was diagnosed with the same. The Turmeric milk recipe was great! It helped her A LOT! There are a lot of good tips in the article. A big thing for her was watching her weight and her diet. She really committed herself to making positive changes and the clot dissolved in only 4 months! Unfortunately she now pops pain pills all day instead of slamming a couple times a day, so her liver is taking a beating. She was put on the waiting list for a liver transplant just yesterday. Make wise choices and research every ROA available if you find you can't quit altogether, so you don't end up like her.
I hope there is something in the article that proves to be helpful to you!

http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/how-to-deal-with-deep-vein-thrombosis-dvt.html/3

I can truly sympathize with anyone that has to deal with veins that seem non-existant sometimes. After having an abscess from a missed shot 3 years ago, I decided I never want to go through that again, so I did my research, made some changes and I follow the harm reduction guidelines faithfully! I probably over prepare now but it's far better to do so than to have an abscess!

I realize the OP requested veins other than the arm. The saphenous vein in the leg is usually a great option. (see link below for leg vein chart) However the veins on top of the feet can unfortunately be rather painful. My preference is to try to keep my veins healthy and have done a good job of it so far,(knock on wood) so these tips apply to both arms and legs.

The first thing I now do is use a large cotton ball saturated with alcohol and swab the whole area. I usually do bicep curls for a couple minutes and then I feel all around the area I think looked good. I have come to believe that our eyes are actually secondary in finding a vein. For those of us with veins that roll, consider carefully entering the vein slightly from the side, still keeping the bevel side up. Once located, You may choose to use your hand to help prevent the vein from moving. <---- "anchoring" your skin, pulling it a bit taut to prevent vein movement, is more helpful than you might think! It's a solid part of what EMTs are taught and their goal is to register in 12 seconds! I know it helps me, but always stick with what feels right for you.

I always make sure I'm in a clean,comfortable, quiet, private place. I have everything I might need easily accessible before I start. I go in knowing that I will take my time and I don't poke around with my rig until I can feel a plump, ready vein that I'm reasonably certain that I can hit. I get jittery with anticipation so I often need to take a few deep breaths and get my Zen on! If your arm / leg is shaky be sure to have a place to support it. I know this sounds funny but I have a napkin warmer - don't laugh! (that thing fancy restaurants have so they can give you a warm, moist towel after dining - but I'm betting a small electric frying pan with a lid would work just as well.) I keep clean, bleached wash cloths and bottled water and have a warm wash cloth prepared inside the warmer to wrap my arm in if I'm not successful on my first attempt or if my veins are being elusive. If it's not needed for that, the warm wash cloth can feel soothing to gently apply after the injection. Drug use is a hedonistic behavior! - go the extra mile to ensure your experience rocks!

I also have the usual supplies - A bottle of Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, clean cotton balls and Q-Tips, a tube of neosporin and band aids, just in case. Then there's also a tourniquet, which is actually the old, very soft and flexible air line aquarium tubing that most Petsmarts still carry. (not the newer more rigid plastic- like type) and a stress ball. Sometimes I try everything mentioned, other times I'm good to go after the curls.

Dehydration is always a factor as well. If you know you'll be shooting up soon, or using amphetamines via any ROA, try to increase your fluid intake - beverages with caffeine or a lot of sugar, such as soda, can reduce the amount of fluid that your body actually retains. Opt for water, real coconut water and low cal sports drinks. Coconut water seems to be the best for hydration though it can be a bit expensive. As far as sports drinks go I like Powerade zero. Ideally keep a couple bottles of each on hand and of course keep drinking your water!
Be safe and enjoy!

https://redbacteria.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/legchart.jpg

Last edited:
Good Advice.... There seems to be a lot of good advice here already so I'm probably repeating and cherry picking from other posts!
What I will say is that in my fairly long IV habit (which I would avoid all together if at all possible but fear deaf ear advice given the nature of this thread!) the few things that have helped me along the way are...
1: Always rotate sites if you have the luxury to do so.
2: Fresh kit is a MUST (although I'm sure most people including myself have had to re-use at some time)
3: double check that bad boy is IN!!! Whether before or during the plunge, it's always worth a check In my experience.
4: Sometimes shade or shadow is better than bright light for finding that Initial bump, then gently push with a finger or two to feel the route of that vessel, the further from extremities the better!

FINALLY, one good piece of advice I was given once was: If after 3 attempts to find a site (via piercing the skin) take a minute or two, maybe a fresh works, and reset your routine, and your head!
Having been cursed with the veins of a small child I have still managed to keep my sites usable (mostly) through good technique and no over usage of 1 site repeatedly.
But, have seen some cases of poor techniques and practices leading to terrible scars/veins/sites and ultimately. After only 3 years of using IV poorly, they are clutching at desperate hits such as the neck and worse!!!
Look after yourself from the get go and there should be years of fairly healthy IV use ahead (should this be the path you have chosen!) BE SAFE Y'ALL!!!

I know when people are desperate they start to shoot wherever they can including groin, neck, legs and feet. After all my veins on arms and hands had collapsed resp. were not usable anymore I injected into my legs and feet for years and ended up with massive vein problems. For the ones interested I wrote a detailed report in the "Heroin Mega Thread and FAQ" and let me tell you my vein problems are a pain in the ass and treatment is very costly and time consuming. Doctors told me I might face amputation of a leg in the future and gave me a whole list of other complications I might encounter including cancer. So I urge everyone already shooting into their legs/feet or thinks about doing it please be aware that you risk serious irreversable damage to your veins and lymphic system. Just for the record I'm talking street dope here, in my case I shot up H & C. If you are in substitution and get Diaphin for example or a similar clean alternative made for IV-use you can indeed shoot into your legs or feet if you have no other options left. I am in a Diaphin program myself and the docs recommend you use veins in your legs rather before you switch to intramuscular use which is also an option with Diaphin.

Don't shoot street dope into your legs or feet!

JIMMYIV Please please please read this. I've had an opiate problem for years, In recent time I've been IV opiates for 2+ years. I was shooting 32mg of Hydromorphone a day breaking it down to 8 shots (roughly 4mg a shot) which is a lot of injecting. I never read about injecting techniques etc I was very clean tho. So the day I told my doctor during the check up he said the crooks of my arms were completely gone, next I went to have blood taken he said the same thing and the nurses also tried nothing they ended up taking blood from the vein running down the side of my arm. As everybody knows it's embarrassing not being able to give blood simply and the scars etc Being the person I am I started thinking ways to break down the scar tissue and get that blood going I started exercise etc Then I found a Tens machine I have been using that whenever I have a chance for the last 4 months and no word of a lie my right arm is at 75% and my left is at 50% I have even check them myself and today the blood wasn't black and blobby it was like it was 2 years ago. Now all I need is tips on scars. Now I'm living on 24mgs of buprenophine. Be Safe!

Last edited:
Please please please read this. I've had an opiate problem for years, In recent time I've been IV opiates for 2+ years. I was shooting 32mg of Hydromorphone a day breaking it down to 8 shots (roughly 4mg a shot) which is a lot of injecting. I never read about injecting techniques etc I was very clean tho. So the day I told my doctor during the check up he said the crooks of my arms were completely gone, next I went to have blood taken he said the same thing and the nurses also tried nothing they ended up taking blood from the vein running down the side of my arm. As everybody knows it's embarrassing not being able to give blood simply and the scars etc Being the person I am I started thinking ways to break down the scar tissue and get that blood going I started exercise etc Then I found a Tens machine I have been using that whenever I have a chance for the last 4 months and no word of a lie my right arm is at 75% and my left is at 50% I have even check them myself and today the blood wasn't black and blobby it was like it was 2 years ago. Now all I need is tips on scars. Now I'm living on 24mgs of buprenophine. Be Safe!​

rnquf1dhtvsfa8tqno3z.jpg

twbwcp6cr6gq3zqatqel.jpg
I cant see the pictures