Mental Health What are peoples long term experiences with meditation

Higherfocus420

Bluelighter
I've recently taken up mantra meditation and ohm meditation for 20 minutes daily to help with my impulsive , racing intrusive thoughts and to help break out of negative thought patterns and worries and have noticed it does help calm my mind and see thoughts for what they are and let the negativity flow through me as opposed to fixating on it I'm also more mindful in my every day life like if I have a negative thought or a bitter resentful thought I can see it for what it is and turn it around or not let it affect me much

Last edited:
My therapist mentioned doing things to promote mindfulness. Are there online instructions or youtube videos showing how to properly meditate?

well im back at it, my tinnitus has darn near stopped, made meditation so difficult, now its intrusive thoughts, but i make it a habit, and its getting easier , now to really relearn to breath,i do TM have since i was 11, but so many ways to meditate, there was a time where i was so together and i owe it to nutrition, exercise and meditation, and being a young studette, im working on self CBT and using DBT as well, and trying to be grateful, mindful and staying off drugs(go figure) but meditation was a huge part of my life at one juncture , i felt more centered and didnt jump at every semi loud sound, just felt more connected to humanity and nature in the long run
My therapist mentioned doing things to promote mindfulness. Are there online instructions or youtube videos showing how to properly meditate?
netflix had a guide to meditation series if memory serves me correct, loved the voice of the guide and all the encouragement

Last edited:
The internet has a myriad of different information sources to help you same as YouTube I like to use mantra meditation where you have a phase or a word that you repeat in you're head it could be something like peace Love harmony and repeat it on the inhale and exhale or just on the Inhale doesn't matter up to you and when you feel your mind wonder which it will you redirect your attention to your mantra or your breathing techniques

What meditation/centering techniques do you suggest that aren't total bullshit?
Hey. I wouldn't recommend going by random calls from BL members (resp. internet strangers in general), or fall down some pseudo-spiritual rabbit hole on YouTube without intention. It's most likely a waste of time. If serious, do some research (it's not that hard to filter out the major nonsense) and read a book, doesn't have to be the be-all end-all thing, but I'm sure you'll know or have an idea where you want to go from there (if you do). There are not shortcuts in this matter, no substitute for your own understanding or doing / following / investigating what resonates with you..

:)

If you're going to meditate and want to have a good practice, you'll have to look away from the mainstream and start learning about meditation and it's roots in whatever context you're interested in.
Meditation as a discipline is an ancient practice and fortunately a huge amount of what we know about meditation and the wisdom gained from practice exists readily to everybody. But this isn't the route most people take. Most people get hooked on the mainstream consumer path towards enlightenment and then get bamboozled into standing in line for their McEnlightenment burger and fries. They fall for the shiny stuff and everything that glitters thanks to yours truly, the capitalist consumer society we live in. They fall for a conception about what meditation is and many of them will fall of the truck having grown out man buns, started wearing beads and buying dyed shirts just because they want to replicate a stereotypical image. Plenty of people throwing up peace signs in today's world but not many actually understanding and preaching the mantra behind it. Plenty of people wearing yoga pants but barely any of them who have consistently step foot in a reputable yoga studio. People will talk about enlightenment while their entire day consists of seeking for people to stroke their ego and narcissistic tendencies.

I would recommend reading some books and listening to lectures on subjects related to meditation practice. Alan Watts is a great place to start. Not sure if you've heard of him but he helped to popularise Eastern practices in the sixties and brought with him a very articulate and credible understanding of subjects like meditation, mindfulness, the self, identity, ego, clinging/attachment, suffering and all sorts of social issues that are common to Western society. There is a philosophy behind meditation that while you don't NEED to know, it helps ground you in understanding the foundations for a decent practice. It's the same as trying to understand psychedelics without taking them. Learn about Taoism, Buddhism, Zen Buddhism, also Hinduism too. Much of what the West knows about meditation comes from these central subjects. Again, you don't need to be a scholar nor would it even be beneficial to you anyway, but, there are foundations that are underlying that you should take the time to understand for yourself, before someone or something comes along and attempts to potentially rewrite it in their own words, and this can and does happen a lot. I mean, we're in a world obsessed with consumerism and meditation, as mentioned above, is BIG MONEY and so the incentive is to create something attractive to consumers and at the risk of corrupting and diluting the meat and potatoes of the knowledge.

Also, watch out for the so-called gurus and self-professed spiritual teachers in today's world. There's plenty of YouTube channels that will send you down a funky path that despite their supreme enlightenment just want to make it rich off the backs of their subscribers. Plenty of gurus, cult leaders, narcissists and megalomaniacs out there masquerading as peace-loving innocent Buddhas.

Stick to the fundamentals. Choose a practice you like and then learn about it. This will then open the doors to better understanding and knowledge and help you guide you forward.
And, trust yourself, most importantly.

Yea I'm not expecting meditation to give me enlightenment that's what psychedelics are for yes I know Alan Watts love his perspective. Meditation is good as its like recharging your brain and it's something you can always do anywhere to pass the time which nobody can take away from you its like your own inner temple my church is in within me

Yea I'm not expecting meditation to give me enlightenment that's what psychedelics are for yes I know Alan Watts love his perspective. Meditation is good as its like recharging your brain and it's something you can always do anywhere to pass the time which nobody can take away from you its like your own inner temple my church is in within me

Meditation is a disaster for me. I've read and listened to Alan Watts for years.. In fact I've tried to meditate for about 25 years 😂 I've seen the goddamn Dalai Lama!! I love the Eastern religions/philosophies (particularly Taoism) but my mind is so unsettled it's ridiculous, and if it knows I'm trying to calm it down it just throws a tantrum.

Psychedelics don't give you enlightenment. You're talking about the effects of pop culture on your perceptions that influence you to assume there is a magical process that makes the world that is out of reach, unless you conform to the beliefs of the culture. And then you get an illusion for your efforts, and maybe lots of material things and social status - but no real substance. Pop culture doesn't reflect real life. It reflects a twisted version of it that takes out of the raw elements and all the sobering reality of life and exchanges it for something the masses can easily relate to and assimilate.

In reality, psychedelics are just drugs that alter brain chemistry and somewhere in that process you as the person you are (whatever that is - because its a construct and so doesn't exist) gets changed. More and more neuroscience is being able to identify what's going on and learning about parts of the brain responsible for things like self. Its nothing more than changes in brain chemistry though. Sounds depressing but it's really not. It means in the banality of it all is seemingly unlimited potential. In the firing of synapses and releasing of neurotransmitters, a purely biological process without a name or a face or feelings or beliefs, there is all those things, and more. People want romance but don't want the hard work nor the reality.

What happens when those brain changes occur though experientially? That's another thing altogether. But that's the same for anything. That's why you get elite level athletes who reach the top of their game and then you get those that don't. That's why you get successful people and unsuccessful people. YOU are part of the process and how you use your brain and mind determines where you end up. Something happens within them that they direct. Its a process of becoming, growing, learning, evolving. And you dont get that from drugs. Psychedelics don't do anything for you. They just can potentially show you things that already exist within you so that you can deal with them accordingly when you're integrating the experience. A pro golfer integrates his learning experiences and uses that to become a better golfer but the golf ball nor the stick nor anyone or anything involves MAKES him a pro golfer. You don't just turn up to the course as a pro golfer.

Pop culture is a trap, man. It will dumb down and dilute reality into a pulp that conditions you to escape what exists beyond it in order for safety and a plastic ideal version of the world. Not all that glitters is gold as they say.

You won't grow if you're seeking to grow using the default tools you are handed to by mainstream society. In order to really grow, you have to look outside and challenge the narrative and start formulating beliefs based on your own journeys and discoveries and your own continuous evolution.

And if mainstream society teaches you that psychedelics will level you up in some way I would tread with caution and refute and challenge what you are told to believe because its a lie. Psychedelics do nothing but alter consciousness temporarily. Its the 99% of life that you spend in everyday waking reality that matters. Not the 1% you spend high. The answers are in everyday life when you're stone cold sober and truly being "you". Its the integration stages where you learn, not the peak of a trip. And that says a lot. You learn the most when you're not on acid. The acid just facilitates the changing of consciousness and alters your brain chemistry to make that happen. Alcohol does the same, sugar too, caffeine, cocaine.

Its what you make of the experience and how you respond to it that determines the outcome and so its purely in your hands. And its like I mentioned before about elite level athletes. They do take that experience and do something with it because the prerequisite mindset and psychological makeup, their life trajectory has put them on this path, all the hard work done over years and years, the work ethic, philosophy etc. Its the same with psychedelics. Its the individual and not the drug that determines the outcome. The individual succeeds and the environment either reinforces or crushes them. The individual transforms his perceptions and reinforces them into the world by making them a reality.

No pop cultural myth will teach you that.

Meditation is a disaster for me. I've read and listened to Alan Watts for years.. In fact I've tried to meditate for about 25 years 😂 I've seen the goddamn Dalai Lama!! I love the Eastern religions/philosophies (particularly Taoism) but my mind is so unsettled it's ridiculous, and if it knows I'm trying to calm it down it just throws a tantrum.
That's your experience and where you're starting. I would just seek to accept that. The problem isn't the troubled mind. The problem is the thinking about the troubled mind. Its the story we tell ourselves, not the experience itself.

Anxiety for example. Most people that are anxious aren't just anxious. They are anxious about getting anxious and so there becomes another layer to the drama. But which one consumes them? The first stage of anxiety is the physiological symptoms usually along with the belief systems attached to the thoughts that trigger anxiety but then your thinking about the anxiety hitches a ride and now it takes the wheel and so you're no longer dealing with the anxiety, because the triggering event is now in the past. Now you're dealing with the thinking about the anxiety. You're anxious about getting anxious. This could go on and on until you're anxious about getting anxious about getting anxious about getting anxious. The initial blip has long gone but now you're in a negative thought loop perpetuating the state of mind that you originally started in, or anticipated. The belief system is fuelling the continuation of your discomfort, not the actual original trigger.

Its the thoughts you could try to recognise and then try and detach from because they are at narrate the original trigger. The belief that you're unsettled turns into thought after thought after thought that reinforces it but these are just thoughts, passing thoughts. It doesn't imply you're more unsettled. It may imply you envisioning the worst case scenario that being unsettled means something fatalistic about you or something. Again, these are beliefs, thoughts.

You're only unsettled if you cannot accept and attempt to run from this content in your mind. Its a belief after all and so you're running from your thoughts. There is a place you feel you should be and then there's the place you are right now. You want to be in the good place in your mind but you're conflicted when you realize youre in the bad. If you can accept you're here right now and there's nowhere else you need to be, the weight of your belief about being unsettled diminishes.

The original trigger that started the whole thing off fades away but what is left is the story you tell yourself. And its just a story! Nothing else! Our minds chatter all the time but we forget to remember that our monkey minds are not concrete speakers of truth and reality. This is the paradox of being an evolved chip I guess. Understanding the chattering is just chattering can disarm the beliefs that come attached to whatever triggers you into a state of being unsettled. And now you're just unsettled and that's far more easier to deal with than the narrative that piggybacks along. Likewise if you're anxious. You're just anxious. Not the hjdbdjdjdnxjenenskdishebsnxjxkdiebsbdkwnxjdiwmsl bla that comes along with the anxiety. Its the dhdjensnxienejekenxndkekwjdbxusjsb bla that shades our anxiety in a colour that makes it worse.

That's your experience and where you're starting. I would just seek to accept that. The problem isn't the troubled mind. The problem is the thinking about the troubled mind. Its the story we tell ourselves, not the experience itself.

Anxiety for example. Most people that are anxious aren't just anxious. They are anxious about getting anxious and so there becomes another layer to the drama. But which one consumes them? The first stage of anxiety is the physiological symptoms usually along with the belief systems attached to the thoughts that trigger anxiety but then your thinking about the anxiety hitches a ride and now it takes the wheel and so you're no longer dealing with the anxiety, because the triggering event is now in the past. Now you're dealing with the thinking about the anxiety. You're anxious about getting anxious. This could go on and on until you're anxious about getting anxious about getting anxious about getting anxious. The initial blip has long gone but now you're in a negative thought loop perpetuating the state of mind that you originally started in, or anticipated. The belief system is fuelling the continuation of your discomfort, not the actual original trigger.

Its the thoughts you could try to recognise and then try and detach from because they are at narrate the original trigger. The belief that you're unsettled turns into thought after thought after thought that reinforces it but these are just thoughts, passing thoughts. It doesn't imply you're more unsettled. It may imply you envisioning the worst case scenario that being unsettled means something fatalistic about you or something. Again, these are beliefs, thoughts.

You're only unsettled if you cannot accept and attempt to run from this content in your mind. Its a belief after all and so you're running from your thoughts. There is a place you feel you should be and then there's the place you are right now. You want to be in the good place in your mind but you're conflicted when you realize youre in the bad. If you can accept you're here right now and there's nowhere else you need to be, the weight of your belief about being unsettled diminishes.

The original trigger that started the whole thing off fades away but what is left is the story you tell yourself. And its just a story! Nothing else! Our minds chatter all the time but we forget to remember that our monkey minds are not concrete speakers of truth and reality. This is the paradox of being an evolved chip I guess. Understanding the chattering is just chattering can disarm the beliefs that come attached to whatever triggers you into a state of being unsettled. And now you're just unsettled and that's far more easier to deal with than the narrative that piggybacks along. Likewise if you're anxious. You're just anxious. Not the hjdbdjdjdnxjenenskdishebsnxjxkdiebsbdkwnxjdiwmsl bla that comes along with the anxiety. Its the dhdjensnxienejekenxndkekwjdbxusjsb bla that shades our anxiety in a colour that makes it worse.

This, 1,000,000%!!

Well, again, follow your interests and tendencies (and it's not like it could be any other way, or so), but this made me wonder (and smirk a little (thanx for that)):
I recommend adding binaural beats to your meditation routine. It'll get you into alpha/theta states very fast and these states are what you want to get into when you do successful meditation.
A 'meditation' ..that adds something (even success!), ..and that gets you somewhere, ..somewhere you want to be, ..and gets you there fast. :unsure: Hmm, this approach feels awfully familiar to me, almost like business as usual, doesn't it? 😁

@ all Isn't it fascinating how we bring our habitual ways of going about things, to literally everything, including this weird meditation stuff; and how subtle and cunning these patterns disguise themselfs. (Sometimes not so much though.) It might be soo shiny or soo spiritual on the surface, yet just under the hood, ..oh boy. Let's look under our hoods.. ❤️

PS.: Would probably be best (for me) to not write about this stuff at all, simply creates more troubles. Too late.. 😅