View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What actually happens when you exit a LSD trip via Seroquel

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I am curious to hear actual experiences of exiting high dose LSD trips with large doses of seroquel. Say trying to exit the peak of a high quality 250 ug - 500 ug trip by taking 300 mg seroquel pill.

How does it play out? Your mind just becomes normal? You pass out? How long does the process of killing the trip normally take - stuff like that.

This is not necessarily about bad trips - just situations where it was no longer appropriate to stay high and you needed to get back to reality fast for whatever reason.

Thanks for any info.

This is not necessarily about bad trips - just situations where it was no longer appropriate to stay high and you needed to get back to reality fast for whatever reason.

This isn't narcan.

Antipsychotics are strong sedatives with a fairly "dirty" pharmacology, blocking a number of receptors besides 5HT2a. Quetiapine, in particular, is a powerful antihistamine.

Especially if you take a *massive* dose like 300mg. Unless you already have a very strong antihistamine tolerance, 300 mg are going to straight-up zombify you for the next 24+ hours, much of which you are going to spend asleep. Even at a more reasonable dose of 50 mg, a person without tolerance is going to be significantly hung over well into the morning if they take it in the evening.

Small doses of antipsychotics can help ease the comedown off of a psychedelic and help abort a bad trip (especially when combined with a benzo), but they're certainly not magical make-you-sober pills.

You're going to be so sedated that you'll appear drunk/stoned/otherwise impaired, and trying to drive in this condition would almost certainly earn you a DUI.

Last edited:
I exited a trip with 100 mg seroquel on 500 ug before. I was already in psychedelic hell after smoking heaps of weed. What happens is that the drugs fight for your brain and body you dont really stop tripping but you become paralysed and sedated. This physical pain is unlike anything else it will truly feel like hell for hours the mental pain is very very bad. I was lying there still awake in another psychedelic realm sedated but in mad pain felt like i had died hundreds of millions of times over. This was during a 500 ug peak. If you take serquel 12 hours later you will drift off to sleep nicely.

But never unless its a total fucking emergency like you are drifting in and out of psychosis or total psychosis take a trip killer on the peak.

Within a month i had recovered from that trip and learnt many things about reality.

D1-D2 is only one of three really studied (you can make a case for four if NMDA is considered seperate and opposite in effect to Glutamate its own realm.. including alpha agents like phencyclidine, ketamine).. D1-2 are definite for positive symptoms, and tend to develop slowly, and move toward ordered paranoia. Serotonin/5ht is the second biggest, or the biggest yet to be tackled. It's the cause of most negative symptoms and is erratic in effect and hard to pin down unless you specialize in it. Antagonizing 5ht2 will relieve negative symptoms which is why Clozapine and all its derivatives (incl. mianserin, mirtazapine, quetiapine and olanzapine) are generally better tolerated than a horrid antihistamine like haloperidol or any phenothiazine which have killed non psychotic people outright due to doctor incompetence.

I consider Glutamate its own axis, and NMDA a seperate one based on symptomatology although it doesn't matter, there is overlap more between those than any other two.. but glutamate hyperactivaty comes on violently, is not coherent and trends very rapidly to catatonia, where dissociation due to NMDA inhibiting Glutamate (the reverse) is tolerated differently.

Every psychosis has its own interplay of intensity between these but the incoherence of hyper 5ht2 and 5ht1 is very confusing and almost as painful as the hypersensitivity glutamate causes.

I dunno about Seroquel but I've done it with Risperidone. Went from tripping to baseline in all of ten minutes. No adverse effects except for a stuffed nose, was dead sober as a result but still rather unpleasant, sort of like taking a step down a dark stairwell then finding out it's a 1 ft drop!

Oh, it couldn't have been more than 150 mics though

I love my trips for the first maybe 8-10 hours but dread the dawn coming and being unable to sleep (I have a deep-rooted anxiety about being unable to sleep thanks to long experience with stims psychosis years ago). I feel that not-sleeping is more dangerous to my mental health than the actual drugs. Benzos just make me a bit less fearful but not sleep. So my take away from here is DO NOT take 300 mg of seroquel but maybe a little dose of maybe 10 mg of something similar. It's a bit of weird thing only enjoying stim type drugs but having a paranoid fear of not sleeping.....

start waking up early morning and tripping you may still be awake at 4am the next day and drink some beer and smoke weed instead of using anti psychotics

start waking up early morning and tripping you may still be awake at 4am the next day and drink some beer and smoke weed instead of using anti psychotics
The early morning start sounds like a winning strategy. Drop a few blotters at 4AM on the beach maybe. Weed makes me insanely paranoid so I might skip that bit. Beer works though. thanks for the tips

I have started my lsd trips at all times of the day before. For some reason i really got into the dropping at 1 am and staying outside til the sun rose up was very beautiful spent alot of trips like that but would be drained for a week. dropping acid between 11 am to 3 pm has given some of my more brighter joyful trips. But the majority of my trips have been at night which i feel gives them quite a dark edge to the psychedelic space but also very spiritual and soul searching.

I have started my lsd trips at all times of the day before. For some reason i really got into the dropping at 1 am and staying outside til the sun rose up was very beautiful spent alot of trips like that but would be drained for a week. dropping acid between 11 am to 3 pm has given some of my more brighter joyful trips. But the majority of my trips have been at night which i feel gives them quite a dark edge to the psychedelic space but also very spiritual and soul searching.
You can also feel a lot safer to trip at night, way more fully detached from the surrounding hustle and bustle.

Actually there are quite a few merits to tripping at night and I share your thoughts and feelings totally and can relate to how the experience can be different in a positive way to trip in the daytime.

But I still could see myself night tripping most times, and my preference overall.

Last edited:
I dunno about Seroquel but I've done it with Risperidone. Went from tripping to baseline in all of ten minutes. No adverse effects except for a stuffed nose, was dead sober as a result but still rather unpleasant, sort of like taking a step down a dark stairwell then finding out it's a 1 ft drop!

Oh, it couldn't have been more than 150 mics though

I've taken .5 mg of risperidone at the tail end of an LSD experience (probably around 150-200 mics) in the past, and while it did accelerate the comedown, I wouldn't describe the resulting state as "dead sober"... there was still some residual confusion from the LSD, as well as an encroaching sedation from the risperidone.

But yeah, OP, .5 mg of risperidone or 25 mg of quetiapine in addition to maybe 1 mg of ativan or .5 mg of xanax are probably good ballpark doses to smoothen the comedown from a psychedelic and counteract the residual agitation and paranoia.
Of course I've found what greatly helps against unpleasant comedowns is talking to one of your friends (preferrably one who is cool with you doing acid, heh) via messenger/whatsapp, otherwise I've often experienced a profound sense of loneliness and alienation on the tail end of a trip.

I regret it every time!
Sometimes when I'm on the verge of ego dear I take a Xanax or Seroquel and it always tends to make me feel quite frazzled and sad that I ruined a perfectly good trip.
I avoid it at all costs and I think I'll keep an opiate for next time to calm but not eliminate the feelings.
I'm a strong believer in that you see, feel and think what you need to during a trip. If it's all you have and the trip is really bad i.e psychosis then definitely go for 50mg or so of Seroquel.

Why are people using anti-psychotics instead of benzos? I understand that used to be the thing in like the 60s with thorazine.

I cannot comment on LSD but once I consumed 6mg DOC. As the come-up started to round off to the peak I was overcome with a presumption that I would loose control and make a scene at my location. ( I had the experience of doing just this with 1.1mg LSD) So I used 200mg of seroquel to hopefully end the trial. I became tired and the hallucinations ceased. This was over 10 years ago, however the one thing I do remember clearly was being startled awake to the sound of my own name (I was alone in the room, spooky) as I laid down to sleep through the "chemical war" going on upstairs

I used stimulants and LSD for decades before even knowing anti-psychotics existed. I only learned about them when I went to rehab for a meth habit i had lost control of for about 6 months and was told I should see myself less as a shameful drug addict and more as an interesting bi-polar person whose particular mania manifests as a hunger for stim drugs.

while this news made me happy and relieved a great deal of accumulated shame I eventually learned that an offical daily regime of ADHD level dexamphetamine +maintenance dose of seroquel or abilify totally killed manic episodes and interest in drugs for several years. To take drugs now requires a rational choice and stopping meds - of course then stopping taking the drugs requires an equally rational choice to do the opposite.

Although i think they are terrible medicines with many bad side-effects I do feel that anti-psychotics massively reduce comedowns and speed recovery from stim type drugs. But I expect they probably destroy the long-term mental / consciousness benefits of LSD.

Seroquel is nasty. Zyprexa I like
Much better. But 500-600 mg used to help a abort 200ug..I feel seroquel when combating stimulants has a harsh transition to block the stimulant activity.