View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Wellbutrin XL + DXM

supercollider

Greenlighter
I have been on all kinds of anti-depressants for the past 6 months and have never had a bad interaction with DXM, although I was told to use precaution. I have been on 150mg of Wellbutrin for about 1 week and plan on taking 1200 mg of DXM tonight (gel caps).

Do you think the Wellbutrin has built up enough in my system to cause some of these weird side effects I've been reading about like trips lasting up to 4 days!?
Some people say that a regular dose of cough medicine (15mg) while on Wellbutrin can lead to low recreational dose effects, if that makes sense.

It all has to do with the enzymes that metabolize the drug and how Wellbutrin affects that process.

Please let me know if this is a good idea. I am a DXM veteran, but really wasn't sure on this one. :\

EDIT: I ended up going for it and had a very unpleasant trip with very screwy visuals the entire next day. I had a fever and was sweating bullets at work. Today, I am feeling better. I will try a lower dose in the future. I think 1,200 mg was pushing it.

Last edited:
Let me add that I have never had any heart problems, seizures, etc. I am a 6ft male weighing 190 lbs.

I would definitely not do that! I know you've only been on it for a week, but my girlfriend takes 300mg wellbutrin and one cough gel of 15mg DXM was enough for her to say, I am hallucinating and tripping. And she wasn't even aware it could get you high. I know the enzyme changes may take a while, but who really knows how long?

I don't know if there would be a safe dose for you to take, but 1200mg is a really big dose for normal tolerance, imagine even a 2 fold increase in effects, let alone the level of potentiation that makes 15mg cause you to trip. At very least cut the dose down a lot and if need be add some more after it has kicked in.

Thanks for the reply. I DO have a high tolerance and have already done 700mg once while on Wellbutrin which turned out fine. I just wanted a couple folks opinion.

1. "Bupropion (Wellbutrin), a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor classified as neither an SSRI nor a TCA, is another commonly prescribed antidepressant that can precipitate SS; it is commonly involved in fatal antidepressant overdoses."

How can this be if the drug specifically works with norepinephrine and dopamine?

2. "
Serotonin syndrome could be caused by Wellbutrin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months and also take Cymbalta."

None of those 'factors' apply to me.

3. "It is dangerous to combine painkillers, SSRI's, and/or alcohol with DXM and Wellbutrin."

I will not be doing any of that.

4. "
Wellbutrin (bupropion) is a potent CYP2D6 enzyme (which metabolizes dextromethorphan) inhibitor. CYP2D6 inhibition slows down the conversion of dextromethorphan --> dextrophan, and therefore increases the ratio of DXM to DXO, resulting in a more potent (but less pleasurable) trip with an increased amount of adverse side effects. Some users have reported that the combination of these two drugs can lead to experiencing effects for several days, and there have been reports of people on bupropion taking therapeutic doses of DXM and getting effects comparable to a low recreational dose level."

This is what scared me. How would that "conversion" mentioned result in a "less pleasurable trip"?
I just took a single 15mg capsule to test the waters.

5. "
My pet cat is also on Wellbutrin XL 150mg, and coincidently enough just ingested DXM two nights ago. The dose was on the lower side, but my kitty has taken DXM before being put on Bupropion. From the research done by my cat, he finds that DXM has a 2-3 day hangover effect with minor effects still lingering. Most likely due to the majority of the effects coming from the pro-drug of DXM which is Dextrorphan. Meaning the body has to metabolize DXM first to make the NMDA effects start. For my pet, there is no notice of a bad mix of the Welbutrin & DXM as the Welbutrin is taken when waking up and DXM is usually ingested once the sun goes down."

Relieving enough, no? 'There is no notice of a bad mix of the Welbutrin & DXM as the Welbutrin is taken when waking up and DXM is usually ingested once the sun goes down.' That is how I take mine; he is also taking the exact same medication (the XL form which is extended release).

Thoughts?

DXM is an SNRI, much more effectively than "SNRI's" (venlafaxine, duloxetine, etc)
Having too much norepinephrine is unpleasant. This being said, if you've already done 700mg you know how you react with bupropion in your system.

How much do you weigh? I've done over a gram before, but why do you feel the need to do so much if you're already worried about interactions with bup (which there are, just not lethal ones)
DXM has a short half-life, so even if you got SS it's unlikely it would be fatal unless you had other health complications.

My thoughts are to keep the doses lower, or at least increase your doses gradually instead of almost doubling.
I've tried gfj and DPH potentiation (enzyme substrates) and found both lacking. What enzyme metabolises bup? 2D6? 3A4?

You talk about people claiming therapeutic doses are psychoactive, yet you say you've done 700mg yourself...
It's your brain. Your decisions are yours alone; All consequences are deserved.

I don't think you should do it, but there's no risk of SS.
(too much NE is another story.)

I ended up going for it and had a very unpleasant trip with very screwy visuals the entire next day. I had a fever and was sweating bullets at work.
Today, I am feeling better. I will try a lower dose in the future. I think 1,200 mg was pushing it.

I'd put that in your original post just for anyone else who stumbles across this thread curious about the interactions