• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Wellbutrin (Bupropion) reducing creativity?

trance in fraance

Bluelighter
i've come across a few sources/threads where people are claiming that Wellbutrin has really reduced their creativity/personality/etc. i was recently put on 150mg/day for depression and i'm a little concerned that this might happen to me, i cant afford to be anymore dull :| :\

from what i know, it seems like Dopamine is responsible for a huge portion of someones creativity so the idea that this drug reduces someone's creativity seems semi-believable.

hoping someone can chime in, im just worried you know?;)

Ive been on wellbutrin for a year now, started at 150mg a day went too 300. I personally didn't notice a negative change in personality or creativeness. I have also heard of people feeling that way. One thing you have to know is that when researching a medication, the negative side effects will be the things you read from people for the most part. often times people don't get on forums just too tell people how great its working or how its side effect free for them. so for a every person who feels there creativity or personality has suffered there are probably 50 who don't feel that way.

I actually stopped taking wellbutrin 2 weeks ago. Not because of side effects though, i just feel im in a better situation and no longer need it. I did not experience anything negative. I hope it works for you. :)

Bupropion, like most antidepressants, is pretty random in what it does to people, I wouldn't write it off just yet...

If it was an SSRI, I'd say yeah, but Wellbutrin shouldn't normally have that effect.
From what I understand, it's pretty much a long-term reuptake inhibitor, so I'd expect an increase in creativity, but these things vary so much from one person to another so you really never know...

Its really hard asking people if it will do this or that. It may or may not. I would say its rare to have that effect.

thanks for the replies guys :) :\
i think it's way too early to tell atm if its affecting with my creativity so idk, but im seeing my psych next wed. and he's either going to up the dose or add in an SSRI

I took Wellbutrin from 2021-2023 and it has taken away my creativity. My ability to create stories or even fantasize. I just stopped taking it because I need to be able to write and make up fictional stories and characters. Also my ability to become happy or excited.

Welbutrin has ZERO SSRI properties, contrary to several of the comments here.

For me personally, wellbutrin can both enhance & blunt creativity.
It's a DRI & will inhibit dopamine from being taken back up into the synapse.

So say your dopamine is chronically low one day, welbutrin will increase it to a degree, which might make you a little more creative for a few hours.
But this action can actually blunt dopamine release from other drugs & pleasurable activities too, plus has a crash which IMO causes anhedonia until it leaves your body.

Bupropion is just a NRI in men because of first-pass metabolism into hydroxynorbupropion (if I remember correctly). In rats it's a NDRI.

This is one of the dumbest cliches in existence. I was a musician for a long time and still write lyrics occasionally, and i never got shit done when going through bouts of severe depression. I did write a bunch of lyrics in the psych ward once, but this was at a point where i was already well on my way to recovery. Depression tends to make you passive, and creative work very rarely happens in a quick flash of inspiration like we see in the movies. Of course difficult experiences can serve as fuel for creativity, but you have to be in working condition to actually bring your vision to life.

Psych meds can flatten ones emotions and give a false sense of being content though, so i wouldn't be surprised if they stunt creativity.
Artwork helps me get out of depression so in a sense depression gets me to artwork. Might make me passive as fuck but that doesn't mean I forget that there's a lot of things beside meds that help. Than again in severe cases it's a lot harder, sometimes impossible.