View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Weird/undesired physical sensations from LSD

worknman

Greenlighter
I have been experimenting with LSD and very much like the drug, except for the following two physical side effects:

1. A metallic after taste. I've tried Googling this, and people say that if the tab tasted bitter, it probably wasn't LSD. But mine was tasteless, and the metallic taste doesn't appear until the acid starts to really kick in. It is accompanied by a slight burning of the tongue/throat. (This happens whether i let the tab dissolve under my tongue, or just swallow it immediately.) It's not really uncomfortable, but it is rather annoying and detracts from the experience.

2. The second one is something I don't really know how to search for, because it's hard to explain. It's like there is this internal pressure, kind of like what happens when you get a cold and your head gets congested, and you feel like you really need to sneeze, but can't. Instead of it being in my head though, it is in the rest of my body. Like if my body could 'sneeze', I would feel so much better. It's similar to, but not identical to when you eat something that doesn't quite agree with you and you feel a little nauseous, so you just lay down and hope it goes away soon. I've heard people complain of body tension/tight muscles, but I'm not sure if this is the same.

Now, I tried candyflipping recently and first took a 150ug tab of LSD, followed by 120mg of MDMA about an hour later. As soon as the MDMA kicked in, all of the physical discomfort of the LSD vanished. However, it also put me into 'party mode', which while a hell of a lot of fun and a great time, is not exactly ideal when I want to just sit down and ponder the meaning of life :)

So I'm wondering if there's something I can take with the LSD to soothe the physical discomfort, that's not as intense as MDMA (and preferably something I can pick up at the corner drug store)?

Probably not. I haven't found anything yet that can have much effect in reducing bodyload from psychs. Most of the things I tried just seemed to either have no effect or actually make it worse. For instance, I tried diphenhydramine to reduce nausea but it actually seemed to make me feel worse, probably because it has serotonin reuptake inhibiting effects. One thing I have found is that higher doses of LSD seem to have less unpleasant side effects than low doses. I took half a hit of what was supposedly 250 mcg blotters and I felt quite bad in my stomach for several hours. At a later time I took one and a half hits (using up the remaining half hit from the first time) and I felt no significant stomach discomfort. I did get pretty wasted though, I must say. I also held it under my tongue for about 15-20 minutes before I swallowed it, so maybe most of it already absorbed through my mouth before the blotter hit my stomach. I've read that the stomach has a lot of serotonin receptors so that may be why subligual caused less stomach discomfort, or it could be the higher dose or maybe both to some degree.

I'd guess you got 25i or another NBOMe. The only time I ever had it, I had all the same undesired effects you did.

What you describe in 2 happens to me sometimes. Meditation and deep breathing exercises can help make the uncomfortable body load turn into an orgasmic feeling, but this takes patience and discipline.

On the more reckless side, I find that small doses of ketamine erase any negative bodily feelings during psychedelic trips for me. Of course, if you go too big it will completely change the character of the trip, and you can't usually get ketamine at the corner drug store. But the most wonderful my body has ever felt on LSD is when I combine it with K or MDMA as you say.

Okay, is that the 'official' term for what I described? I didn't know it had a name :)

Well, negative physical effects are usually termed "bodyload". I guess the feeling of your body needing to sneeze would be in that category, general physical unease. The metallic taste is not uncommon with LSD. The burning throat is unusual though. I haven't heard of that before. Maybe that's just how your particular body chemistry reacts to it. It does usually cause a dry mouth but not a burning sensation. Have you had the same effect with different batches of LSD or is it just this one "brand". If it's just this one then it could obviously be a dirty batch or it could be DOC or some other substitute.

For me, the only time I've experienced a body load from lsd is when I get into a negative headspace. And it isnt nessicarily a bad feeling in my body just very uncomfortable.

Now, I tried candyflipping recently and first took a 150ug tab of LSD, followed by 120mg of MDMA about an hour later. As soon as the MDMA kicked in, all of the physical discomfort of the LSD vanished. However, it also put me into 'party mode', which while a hell of a lot of fun and a great time, is not exactly ideal when I want to just sit down and ponder the meaning of life :)

So I'm wondering if there's something I can take with the LSD to soothe the physical discomfort, that's not as intense as MDMA (and preferably something I can pick up at the corner drug store)?

I sympathise 100% with your predicament. I had alot of physical trouble on LSD, & in the end I gave it up in favour of MDMA & shrooms. It's only in recent years that I have returned to psychedelics other than psilocybin mushrooms. I've found the new psychedelics carry much less body-load, for some reason. Perhaps it might be wirth exploring drugs such as Al-Lad & LSz, DOC, 2c-e, perhaps longer tryptamines such as 4-ho-met.

Many seasoned trip-heads much prefer LSD to the RC Psychedelics, & often claim the newer drugs are much less capable of producing a trancendental experience but for someone such as myself, interested primarily in low dose experiments in recreational enviroments, the sacrifice of body-load in favour of less revelation is more than acceptable.

Many seasoned trip-heads much prefer LSD to the RC Psychedelics, & often claim the newer drugs are much less capable of producing a trancendental experience but for someone such as myself, interested primarily in low dose experiments in recreational enviroments, the sacrifice of body-load in favour of less revelation is more than acceptable.

Yeah, I'm kind of the opposite of you in this regard. If I just wanna kick back and get baked, I'll smoke some weed :) Though I might try some shrooms and other things one day just for the hell of it.

As for the LSD itself, this is the only batch I've tried. But the dealer I bought it from came highly recommended by several different people, so I'm reasonably sure this stuff is the real deal.

On the more reckless side, I find that small doses of ketamine erase any negative bodily feelings during psychedelic trips for me.

I often get bodyload/nausea from various psychedelics and ketamine is the best solution I've found so far.

The major alternatives I've done were: Waiting It Out (although this can be hard for even the most resilient spirit), the Iffy Smoking Pot (might help, might not), and finally Inducing Vomiting (this is obviously not fun but for all times that I felt too nauseous at first this would always get it out of the way and I'd be good to go lol)

Yeah, I'm kind of the opposite of you in this regard. If I just wanna kick back and get baked, I'll smoke some weed :) Though I might try some shrooms and other things one day just for the hell of it.

As for the LSD itself, this is the only batch I've tried. But the dealer I bought it from came highly recommended by several different people, so I'm reasonably sure this stuff is the real deal.

Just because seasoned acid heads say LSD is better, doesn't mean they're right though. My contention was that, using low doses for recreational enhancement, rather than seeking transendental, I am quite happy if I happen to be exposing myself to a lighter experience. I suspect that almost all the serious new psychedelics are all capabale of producing the trancendental revelatory effect given the correctm probably large dose, & the right headset & environment.

I too am given to laid back stoned head stripping. I tend to be active through the first half of the trip, particularly the come-up where exercise distracts me from any possible nausea. Second half can often be spent in contemplation, & in this state, I've found it quite easy to slip through to the space between worlds, or at the very least, come to some remarkable realisation of some sort. This has happend on Al-Lad, LSz, DOC & on 4-ho-met, which is why I brought those drugs up.

I'm sure you'll find some way to reconcile the difficult physicality to LSD if you really love the effects. But for me, back in the day, the discomfort became the predominate aspect to all my trips & I just decided acid was not for me. I do plan to revisit LSD, but only once I can source with 1000% security, I can dose it myself, & I'm certain I'm ready for it.

LSD has some affinity for andrenergic receptors (many ergolines do) though I am unsure whether it is inhibitory or stimulatory. Andrenaline itself can cause a bad/metallic taste in the mouth (the taste of fear ;)) as well as significant physical unease. I'd say that is what is occurring.

Many tranquilisers inadvertently effect adrenaline and beta-blockers do so directly.

Something that I've noticed when on a really strong psychedelic of any kind is that you can become "hyper aware" of aspects of your body's normal functions and it can become extremeley disconcerting until you realize that it's something normal and just seems ultra odd because your off your rocker on acid or whatever. I'm not sure if this is the case with the OP but it's something to think about.

I wonder if it would be worth experimenting with doses of MDMA with the acid... not so much that you get the full effect, but just enough to take the physical edge off of the LSD. Like, starting off with about 20mg on the first trip, and maybe adding another 10mg each subsequent trip until the desired effect is achieved. (I would definitely wait the usual amount of time in between sessions with the MDMA, so this might take quite awhile to see results, unless a low dose does the trick.) I've never tried ketamine before... not sure I want to.