Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Weird MDMA emotions

HiManImDan

Bluelighter
Hey, it's been a week since I took 100mg of MDMA and although I did feel depressed during that week at some points, for some reason, I feel really happy at some points aswell.

It's like my emotions are going up and down, anyone care to explain??

MDMA is a serotonin releasing agent.
By taking a drug that alters serotonin (a neurotransmittor that is apparently implicated in subjective feelings of 'happiness' and wellbeing) my understanding is that it is going to affect your serotonin receptors and therefore emotions and mood, often for some time after ingesting the drug itself (ie not always just the following day of two)
Neuroscience is not my field, but by having a browse through the MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs subforum, you might find some information that gives you a better understanding of the effect of MDMA on your brain (along with plenty of information regading the consequences of taking MDMA-type drugs too frequently).

MDMA is a serotonin releasing agent.
By taking a drug that alters serotonin (a neurotransmittor that is apparently implicated in subjective feelings of 'happiness' and wellbeing) my understanding is that it is going to affect your serotonin receptors and therefore emotions and mood, often for some time after ingesting the drug itself (ie not always just the following day of two)
Neuroscience is not my field, but by having a browse through the MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs subforum, you might find some information that gives you a better understanding of the effect of MDMA on your brain (along with plenty of information regading the consequences of taking MDMA-type drugs too frequently).

Thanks for response, will take a look. :)

As spacejunk says, your body naturally regulates the amount of neurotransmitters within the cells of your brain. Think of each of these cells as a water tank connected to a tap above a sink. The brain tries to keep the 'right' amount of water in the sink by regulating how much the tap is turned on / off and by making the drain in the sink bigger / smaller. MDMA causes the brain to flood itself with serotonin (as well as affecting other chems) so the analogy is the sink is flooded with water and the tank drained.

The trouble comes once the MDMA wears off and the body starts regulating again. The analogy here is it's trying to get back to having the 'right' amount of water in the sink, but you've just drained the tank. Hence the low feeling a few days after a big night. It's that common that people call it either 'Blue Monday' or 'Suicide Tuesday'.

So, what are some strategies to help 'fill' your 'tank'. The problem is these neurotransmitters are not something you can just take and to make them from what you eat your body goes through several stages. My suggestion is to take longer breaks between flipping, eat well, get plenty of rest and resist the urge to 'top up' on pills (you won't ever get back to where you were). Supplement wise you can try taking things to help 'prime the pump' to refill your 'tank'. I have used all of the following with different levels of success. If you search BL there will be a wealth of info under the topics of 'pre-loading' and 'post-loading'. As a start, you can research L-Tyrosine, 5HTP, L-Dopa and GABA.

Good luck and party safe.

i'm often emotionally volatile without being depressed in the few days following heavy mdma usage
lots of things will make me tear up that wouldn't usually, such as any sad moment in any movie, and plenty of songs. and i get really happy easily as well
i also get a very short fuse on my temper and can't stand waiting in queues/traffic
it seems to be a fairly normal thing as some of my friends are the same

As spacejunk says, your body naturally regulates the amount of neurotransmitters within the cells of your brain. Think of each of these cells as a water tank connected to a tap above a sink. The brain tries to keep the 'right' amount of water in the sink by regulating how much the tap is turned on / off and by making the drain in the sink bigger / smaller. MDMA causes the brain to flood itself with serotonin (as well as affecting other chems) so the analogy is the sink is flooded with water and the tank drained.

The trouble comes once the MDMA wears off and the body starts regulating again. The analogy here is it's trying to get back to having the 'right' amount of water in the sink, but you've just drained the tank. Hence the low feeling a few days after a big night. It's that common that people call it either 'Blue Monday' or 'Suicide Tuesday'.

So, what are some strategies to help 'fill' your 'tank'. The problem is these neurotransmitters are not something you can just take and to make them from what you eat your body goes through several stages. My suggestion is to take longer breaks between flipping, eat well, get plenty of rest and resist the urge to 'top up' on pills (you won't ever get back to where you were). Supplement wise you can try taking things to help 'prime the pump' to refill your 'tank'. I have used all of the following with different levels of success. If you search BL there will be a wealth of info under the topics of 'pre-loading' and 'post-loading'. As a start, you can research L-Tyrosine, 5HTP, L-Dopa and GABA.

Good luck and party safe.

Cheers guys, I understand now :)

i'm often emotionally volatile without being depressed in the few days following heavy mdma usage
lots of things will make me tear up that wouldn't usually, such as any sad moment in any movie, and plenty of songs. and i get really happy easily as well
i also get a very short fuse on my temper and can't stand waiting in queues/traffic
it seems to be a fairly normal thing as some of my friends are the same

Thanks for this info, makes me feel normal lol