Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Weight Loss?

payaya

Bluelighter
Hey guys i know pills can cause weight loss, but is there a pill out there like a herbal product, which suppresses your diet, so you lose weight? I do sports etc, but i bit more can help!
thanks

Its not really good to suppress diet. What are you going to do - suppress it with something your whole life? If you exercise well and still think you are overweight then you have to think about a couple of things:
1. Its your natural body size *sing* When you finally learn to loooooove yourself, it is the greatest looooooooooove oooof all
2. You are eating foods high in fat. Stop it. Don't eat foods high in fat. Eat lots of food, just not fatty food (or sugar food). But Good Food. You know what they are. Learn to cook, and cook healthy food. Then eat it. Don't eat foods high in fat.

Try cutting out carbohydrates from your diet after lunchtime IE: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc, eat more protein, small amounts of fat are still ok.
You can write millions of pages of dos and donts with dieting, everyone has their own tips/tricks etc. Diets dont work, lifestyle changes do.
The best time to exercise is first thing in the morning before breakfast, your body works of fat stores, any exercise done after you eat mainly burns off what you have ingested and doesnt work off fat stores...
You can get various things from your doctor or health food shop that can do things like surpress diet, stop absorbtion of fat, increase your metabolism etc, if your considering these, make sure you check all the pros & cons & possible side effects. The preventative fat absorbtion drug can give you the nasty runs if you eat fatty foods as it is not absorbed and passes straight through the body, so these drugs also require diet modification to work.
PS: should this be in Health Q/A? it's not really drug discussion
[ 09 September 2002: Message edited by: Daimo ]

Herbal diet pills claim to but its all fulla shit

Well, I guess technically the original question is about weight loss achieved through supplements or drugs, so I'll leave it here for now, but I think we should direct answers on topic.
What supplements can you take to lose weight?
5-HTP can help you feel satisfied from less food, by boosting serotonin levels, when taken half an hour before food. This can help you avoid overeating by reducing cravings for fatty foods and carbohydrates.
Nicotine is a stimulant that can suppress appetite, replacing the cravings for food with cravings for nicotine. It is addictive, and has been proven to cause cancer. It is not a good weight loss aid.
Ephedrine/pseudoephedrine/caffeine and other similar chemicals stimulate the central nervous system and metabolism making you burn off weight quicker. They also suppress hunger. The danger with stimulants for people who are overweight is the added strain placed on the heart/blood pressure. Definitely use with care.
Illegal stimulants such as amphetamine and methamphetamine work in a similar way, and have similar or worse risks. Taking a tiny amount of methamphetamine in the morning with breakfast, having a moderate lunch and a sensible dinner can aid in a weight loss program. Stimulants can be addictive, and you can find yourself hooked on speed quickly, developing a tolerance that makes you take more and more each day to achieve the same effect, and leaving you with very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms when you stop.
NOTE: The above is NOT the advice of a health professional, NOR is it advice that should be taken by ANYONE... If you choose to use any of the above methods for losing weight, in preference to, or in addition to a healthy eating program, it is at your own risk.
There are literally thousands of high protein, low carb, fat burner, diet pill, ephedra/ma-huang free, supplement formulations around... offering weight loss at a high price. Some people say that weight loss pills only reduce the weight of your wallet - some people have great success when they use the formulations as directed, in conjunction with a healthy diet. Perhaps thinking of the healthy diet is a good start but some people need the added incentive of spending a lot on a supplement to help them stick to their diet.
I'm not in the health supplement business so I wouldn't know what to recommend, nor would I recommend it here, as we do not list suppliers of anything. All you need to do is search though, and you'll find something.
BigTrancer :)

Sure you can lose weight via a supplement/drug such as a stimulant, but you will probably put back on when you stop taking it. Most stimulants have too many side-effects to allow long term use, and some of these are serious, as BT said. If you go into a health food shop you'll find 40 different products, but AFAIK none of them have been proven to give you sustained weight loss.
I agree with Soma, there's only one safe way to lose weight: diet and exercise.
If you are really overweight there is the prescription drug Xenical, but that costs over $100 a month and also has some nasty side-effects, which Daimo mentioned.

Yep, diet and exercise, and don't expect any rapid results - your goal should be to put in place healthy behaviours which you adhere to over time, not to crash diet and try to lose a lot of weight quickly. This is where people fall down, they stick to a a fad diet for a little while, then go back to unhealthy eating patterns because they get bored with the diet.
You have to learn to eat mostly healthy food (some junk food occasionally is OK) and to exercise reasonably regularly - latest recommendations are for 60 minutes of moderate intensity exercise (even walking briskly) per day (they've just revised the recommendations up from 30 minutes per day).
btw Daimo: I'm pretty sure time of day doesn't matter. Think about the two alternate scenarios:
(a) exercise before breakfast. Burn 500 calories of stored fat. Eat breakfast. Gain 400 calories, total loss 100 calories.
(b) eat breakfast. You're up 400 calories. Exercise, using the meal you just ate for energy. Burn 500 calories anyway...you've still lost the same amount :)

Talk to a body builder. In body building you use a very fucked up diet of low carbs, high protein, and regular meals.
And Daimo advice was right because the earlier you eat your carbos the more likely you are to burn them off over the course of the day.
If you want to lose weight fast just take up a speed addiction. Of course you will also lose muscle, calcium, mind, money, friends, and possibly your life but it's promise it will work.
Of course the above is a joke since we do not condone drug use on this forum.

Hi there,
there is a lot of research to indicate that exercising in the morning before eating (that is, on an empty stomach)will mobilise fat into being used as the primary energy source rather than muscle weight or stored glycogen. It serves a primary purposes:
1 - to spark up your metabolism for the day (in theory) giving you better energy levels, and allowing your body to metabolise your nutrients more efficiently.
As the others have intimated, exercise and good diet are the key to long term weight loss and good health. You can use some of the thermogenic supplements (check with your doc/naturopath first). These usually contain a number of things:
Citrus Aurantium - non caffeine stimulant (CNS stimulant)also acts as apptetite suppressant
Guarana - caffeine substitute but basically caffeine :)
Carnitine - gets fat moving into the mitochondria
Aceytl l Carnitine - a potent fat metaboliser and CNS stimulant (I think)
Grape Fruit Seed - another appetite suppressant
and beware that some also contain St John' Wort. i'm very new to this scene but you'd want to check how that may act or contraindicate with MDMA or other such substances. I don't have enough experience or knowledge in that particular area to know either way.
if you're interested in thermogenic supplements there's a ton of info on the net, most health food stores will have them, and most gyms will know something of them. Just make sure you read what's in them - typically people take two or three 30 mins before going for a 30-45 minute walk before breakfast.
Good luck!

Oh yeah, forgot about carbs..
EAting most of your carbs in the morning is one way of doing it, but eating different TYPES of carb sources is another. Generally Low Glycaemic Index (GI) carbs will be a longer lasting energy source less likely to store as excess bodyfat. Eating something every three hours is a good way to get your metabolism up and running nicely, as well as drinking heaps of water (it does actually help you lose weight). get your carbs from any vegies you can eat raw (brocolli, capsicum, cucumber, carrots, mushrooms, snowpeas etc) and take in some lean meat at each meal. Work out your bodyweight and protein requirements/caloric intake and you should be fine..
Endeth the lesson..
:)

The general rule for carbo is, if you dig it out af the ground and cook it without any processing then it's fine to eat.

I do the no carbs thing and it works.....but if you can live without pasta/rice/bread....
if you want something really agressive - much more so than meth, try DNP. i've never heard of it being around - probably only in the most hardcore competition bodybuilding circles. if 5lbs of fat loss a day sounds safe to you (by sweat), then go for it - sorry i don't have any more info on it, but i remember reading about it a year ago.

im not fat, just wanna lose a bit of weight to look better. Im 182cms and weight 80-82 kgs??

ful_sik_trippa: 5 pounds _a day_? That's insane, man...at least for the average Joe...(standard weight loss recommendation is more like 1-2 pounds/week).
And with all due respect to the guys promoting low-carbing I've got to point out that mainstream medical opinion still advises against this diet. Now, the mainstream _could_ be wrong, but that's what they're saying at the moment. Keep a balance, don't eat too much fat, and watch calories above all. Here's a link to a New York Times story which summarises it quite well: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/health/index.html
(requires registration).
Payaya: according to the Body Mass Index calculator at http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm your BMI is 25.3, which places you very slightly overweight (overweight is BMI of 25 or higher). Basically, you don't need to lose much weight to be within a healthy weight range.
So all you really need to do is try to up your exercise level slightly, walk up the stairs at work, say, or try walking half an hour daily. Or try cutting out a few of the most fattening things from your diet. I lost five kilos in a few months without really trying - all I did was take the stairs instead of the lift at work, and switch to low-fat cheese, skim milk, and low-fat olive oil spread instead of butter.

BMI is a load of wank. I'm 185cm and weigh in at 92kg, but I'm only 12%bf.
Low carb diets aren't dangerous and the US food and admin people are on the verge of re-writing the food pyramid.
Zero carb diets on the other hand are dangerous and will hinder muscle growth.

Sllip: writing off the BMI as "a load of wank" is a pretty big claim there. That might be your personal opinion (which perhaps you should make clear), but the BMI is accepted by the health professions as a guide to healthy weight range. As for the US FDA amending the food pyramid, can you provide a reference / link for that?
Simon is correct that mainstream medicine does not support low carb dieting. I believe that any diet that requires you to eliminate 'normal' foods is going to be hard to sustain in the long term, which may mean re-gaining the weight on return to normal eating.
This thread highlights the fact that the weight loss industry is full of various fad diets and supplements, each touted as more effective than the last. There is lots of money to be made, but at the end of the day a sensible diet and exercise is the safest way to lose weight and keep it off.

I think this thread is just about run its course in terms of the original topic. Since the discussion has lapsed into familiar territory (i.e., healthy eating, dieting, etc.) it has moved beyond the scope of this forum (i.e., drugs, drug discussion and drug health issues).
If anyone has any objections to me closing this thread, please state them in the next 48 hours. These objections should be in the form of an On-Topic post about drugs and dieting, or dieting drugs.
BigTrancer :)

Originally posted by babydoc_vic:

If you are really overweight there is the prescription drug Xenical, but that costs over $100 a month and also has some nasty side-effects, which Daimo mentioned.

Wonder if you can get it for $3.60..