• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Week long MDMA comedown...please help ):

India111

Bluelighter
Hello everyone, basically I'm having a very frightening comedown experience and need help. Six days ago I took some MDMA for my birthday, had all the usual effects of MDMA (gurning, overwhelming empathy) though did throw up quite a few times, however held this down to the fact that I stupidly mixed the MDMA with a small line of coke on my way up, and was also drinking alcohol. I also took quite a lot given that I'm very petite and have a low tolerance to drugs (have only taken MDMA once before in January), I can't remember how much but I'd say somewhere in the region of 300mg, possibly more as after I came up the first time I kept dabbing, even though I'd already been throwing up which should have told me it's time to stop (again, very silly). Basically despite the nausea had a fantastic time, woke up the next day and felt a bit hungover due to the alcohol but actually felt really upbeat and guessed this was the 'afterglow' I'd heard about.

However, on the second day some really nasty symptoms began to manifest themselves, I woke up feeling extremely anxious and immediately went to throw up, since then I spent the whole day having constant panic attacks and actually went to the hospital with chest pains (I have had chest pain before due to acid reflux problems I'm currently dealing with, but these were so bad and mixed with the panic that I convinced myself I was having a heart attack). They did an ECG and checked my blood pressure, told me everything looked absolutely fine and it was just the aftermath of the drugs (the nurse actually said she was jealous of how great my blood pressure was) and sent me home. I again woke up on the third day extremely anxious with depression, constant nausea that would not be relieved by throwing up, the headache on the front of my head and pressure behind my right eye began to worsen so went to the doctors again. They did some simple tests to check my eyesight/brain function, again told me nothing serious seemed wrong and that I should rest up. Since then the nausea has worsened to the point where it's pretty much constant, I'm suffering from severe anxiety and depression (no suicidal thoughts but close to it) and there's a constant brain fog where I'm unable to concentrate and always feel slightly spaced out, like I'm not really there and nothings real. I'm also getting insomnia, not severe as I have been able to fall asleep in the evenings after a long time spent relaxing and winding down, however my sleep is very fitful and I have vivid dreams and keep waking up every couple of hours. Also once I'm awake in the morning I feel sick to my stomach, I wake up automatically around 8am and once I am awake that's it, I can't nap in the day either ): normally I hate mornings and I can nap tons. I've also lost my appetite due to the nausea, I'm trying to eat regularly and lots of healthy things anyway, and drinking water

It's now day six since I took the supposed MDMA with the line of coke (though as I mentioned this was a very small amount so I doubt it was that) and five days since the onset of symptoms, it wasn't tested but several other people all had some of both the MDMA and the coke and they are all fine. I should mention that I have taken this MDMA from the same source last time I had some on NYE, again had a lot of sickness coming up and during though again everyone else was fine so put it down to lack of experience with drugs, I also had sickness in the mornings and for a while thought I was pregnant, though the sickness was nowhere near as severe and subsided mostly, though even way into March I would still often get sick very easily when drinking alcohol. I should also mention that a couple of weeks after taking MDMA for the first time on NYE, I had my first proper panic attack, and since then have been struggling with anxiety and was only just pretty much recovered until this happened ): Before I scare people though I should mention that I have previously had problems with anxiety long before drug use.

I should also mention just for some context, as I said I'm relatively new to drugs (only started taking any besides the occasional toke of a friends joint 6 months ago, but I'm not really a fan of weed so it never caught on) so am not a chronic or heavy user, only taken MDMA twice and snorted coke about once every two-three weeks (usually two or three lines) for the past 6 months. I'm also on omeprazole for acid reflux and had taken my dosage 12 hours prior to taking the other drugs, as a result it took me longer to come up than my friends but when it did it hit me really hard, is it possible omeprazole is the reason my comedown is lasting so long? it does mess with the way the stomach breaks down MDMA, and I did bomb it on my inital dose.

This experience has terrified me and I'm so scared that I've done some permanent damage to my brain, I wouldn't be so worried about the nausea but the brain fog/feeling of unreality is really scaring me and I'd give anything to feel normal again ):

I hadn't previously linked the MDMA to increasing my anxiety but after the second time I can confirm it makes it so much worse, same with coke. It's a shame but after this experience I've decided drugs probably aren't the best thing for me, it also doesn't help that I've heard some horror stories of people who have still had these symptoms years after the initial consumption, I think I could deal with these symptoms if I knew when they would go away, but it's the not knowing when/if that's the reason I'm upset and in tears pretty much every day, plus the horrible depression

Please help if there is anyone who has had similar experiences, could really use some advice and positive thoughts right now :(

Last edited:
Hey try not to worry to much! this happens to a lot of people. It's pretty much just the after-effects from the drugs. It could last up to 3 weeks for you to feel completely sane.. I just want you to know that you will be okay! You might even had a underlying anxiety disorder that the drug might have brought out. But I'm sure it's just from the weird after effect feelings scaring you. Maybe you took to much in one night? It will get better though. I have an anxiety disorder and that can give you a wide arrange of bad feelings and symptoms so try not to worry its just your anxiety getting to you. I'm sure you will feel better soon and you will be back to normal! :) I think that all of your worries are based from anxiety. Trust me I know I've delt with serious anxiety and have been hospitalized because of it but I've learned a lot from it and it pretty much tricks your mind and makes you a worried mess.. but you will be fine sweetie just try to get a psychiatrist who can help you with the anxiety if its really bad! But I just want you to know that you are perfectly safe and okay and maybe next time don't do as much in one night I guess! If you need anyone to talk to message me I've had anxiety for a long time and have been on drugs that gave me anxiety and all that jazz. So be safe and take care! xx

but it could aslo have been a research chemical substituting MDMA. And that can make you sick and anxious. Try to get a Test-kit they are really cheap and you can get them at bunk-police . com . It's simple steps to test and you know whats in your pill!

There was one time I took a awful pill that gave me a few normal effects of 'ecstasy' but in the end I was throwing up and having extreme anxiety and it lasted for a long time. I think the pill was mixed with foxy methoxy or just some pipebomb..

Hi man!

After "just" one week I don't think that you should start freaking out just yet. I know that is impossible though, because freaking out is a symptom in itself :). I think that most people who get a severe comedown from MDMA like this "recovers" within a few weeks. However, for some of us this shit won't let go for quite some time after that. But again, until several more weeks have passed (give 4-12 weeks) I don't think you should be worrying about any long-term damage. The best thing you can do for yourself is to try to stay away from stress, eat clean, get some exercise/sunlight, and try to get as much sleep as you can even though it might be hard. Obviously you should also stay completely sober from everything, including caffeine, weed and alcohol.

hi mate, first off did your test your stuff to make sure it was MDMA?
all I recommend is eating healthy, lots of exercise and breathing exercises/meditation/ yoga and staying sober.

and also, don't obsess yourself over this, it's not your fault and you will eventually be "normal" again. the spaciness sounds like you're experiencing some derealisation which will go away with time. maybe you'll even be glad you experienced this when it'll be over, because you will be a stronger person!
cheers and keep us updated! :)

Hi guys thank you for your messages, it's now been a full week and I'm starting to feel very slightly better, slept a bit better last night, the sickness has subsided today and the depression/anxiety has eased a bit but I'm still getting the headaches and this horrible depersonalisaton/derealisation, I can deal with the other symptoms but it's that that's making me feel like I've done some damage or am going crazy ): i read up on it after it was mentioned and it seems to match exactly how I'm feeling, has anyone else had derealisation and come out of it? I'm so scared but I'm trying to stay calm today and not get too worked up and that seems to have eased the sickness at least, also trying to eat well and exercise. Could this also be possibly caused by sleep depravation? I am sleeping but as i said it's light fitful sleep and i wake up every few hours with vivid dreams that are actually more real than reality right now /: i do have an underlining anxiety disorder yes, though never with these symptoms besides panic attacks. In hindsight taking mdma was a bad idea as it seems to have made my anxiety unbearable

And no i didn't test it stupidly, but everyone else who took it was fine and my boyfriend who gave it to me knows the source (my boyfriend also took it and is fine, same amount as me but he is A LOT more experienced). He vehemently denies it has anything to do with the drugs, but he goes by the attitude that because he is fine after years of drug use that I'm just letting my anxiety get to me. Also I know this sounds silly but if i had done any damage to my brain either with the mdma or mixing with coke I'm guessing (or sincerely hoping) the headaches and other symptoms would have showed the next day, as I had definitely come down that day. If these symptoms continue I'm going to get my boyfriend to buy some more from the source to get it tested

hey! all i want to say is that it's very unlikely that you've done some sort of damage and that the brain has the ability to heal itself anyway. many people who experience bad comedowns spend their time looking for clues on the "brain damage", while this only heightens their anxiety.
check out this site http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/
cheers :)

Thank you for your words of comfort, my problem is like you said, I'm looking for clues on brain damage. I also keep looking on forums with people who have had feelings of detachment/derealisation for years and it sends me into complete and utter despair, it's the feeling that I have permanently altered my life and will never feel happiness again that makes me feel so bad ): I did read somewhere though that the fact that I'm feeling such strong emotions (I'm literally crying or on the verge of crying all the time) means my case of DP/DR should be acute and will pass once my brain restores it's normal serotonin levels. I would say my symptoms are still pretty bad and even though I can see fine it sort of feels like I can't, if that makes sense? When I was very young I went through a brief period where before I had a migraine (I haven't suffered from one for years though) I would have a 'warning' signal where my vision would go slightly funny in the sense that I could see everything crystal clear, but I couldn't focus on something and everything seemed dream like and couldn't recognise my reflection very well. Then half an hour later the migraine would start. It's like that, except the migraine never starts! Thank you I will be sure to check out that website, nomorepanic is also a good website for anxiety. The sickness has eased over the past couple of days at least, again I'm hoping the fact that this is also coming with other, physical symptoms means this is an acute episode that will pass quickly. It doesn't help that my major final year uni deadlines are all next week, I'm trying to get through it but that's definitely making things worse.

I will keep you all updated on my progress, one thing I will certainly do if/when I do come out of this, is tell everyone I recovered! I think the problem is a lot of the experiences I'm reading on the internet are very negative, because people who did recover are too busy going out and living their lives and it's mainly only the ones who are suffering for a long time who stick around.

One thing I did just remember is that when I felt fine the day after (13th April) my boyfriend was smoking a lot of weed next to me to deal with the come down (I wasn't smoking any but we were in bed in the room all day and he was smoking without any windows open), is there any chance it wasn't the MDMA/coke at all, and it was the weed that caused me to wake up on the 14th with all these horrible symptoms? As I said I wasn't smoking but I did spend the day inhaling all his smoke, and I was fine that day, in fact it was the last day I was fine before all this nastiness started ):

Thank you for that xammy, I really appreciate it!

Just to be safe I will ask that my boyfriend doesn't smoke weed around me, especially as I'm recovering, but I found your link very reassuring to me

The fact that the onset of your symptoms was a little later then the day after you took MDMA is very typical for adverse reactions to MDMA. It happened 3 days afer ingesting MDMA for me, and it did so for a lot of people. Thus the saying "suicide tuesday".

Although not common, these issues arise in a minority of MDMA users, and since your BF seems to not believe that MDMA has cause these issues for you, I feel it's necessary to tell you that you really should never ever take MDMA or any other potent SRA ever again. Some people on this forum might not agree, but you know what you are experiencing right now, and if you are serious about recovery and never wanting to experience it again (for possibly a very long time) you will stay the hell away from this drug.

Trust me, I'm even reconsidering drinking alcohol ever again, let alone taking drugs again!!

I appreciate your advice, but I want you to know that there is absolutely no chance I will ever take drugs again, I can safely say this is the single most frightening experience of my life and I would give anything to come out of it, the last thing I want to do is to ever have to go through this again, I wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy!

What sort of adverse reaction did you experience? And did you recover? I would like to hear your experience

Thank you for your words of comfort, my problem is like you said, I'm looking for clues on brain damage. I also keep looking on forums with people who have had feelings of detachment/derealisation for years and it sends me into complete and utter despair, it's the feeling that I have permanently altered my life and will never feel happiness again that makes me feel so bad ): I did read somewhere though that the fact that I'm feeling such strong emotions (I'm literally crying or on the verge of crying all the time) means my case of DP/DR should be acute and will pass once my brain restores it's normal serotonin levels.

hey mate. it's very unlikely that you've somewhat permanently altered your life, and you're just 1 week into it so I wouldn't worry. yes it could take months (or even a few weeks for all we know!) but I can assure you 100% that YOU WILL get through it. all it matters now is to keep your chin up and to be as positive as possible.

I would say my symptoms are still pretty bad and even though I can see fine it sort of feels like I can't, if that makes sense?

do you mean your vision is blurred? it's kinda normal with high level of stress/anxiety AFAIK

It doesn't help that my major final year uni deadlines are all next week, I'm trying to get through it but that's definitely making things worse.
as I said keep your chin up, if you can do it with your symptoms it will reassure you that you can beat this, and trust me you can and will :)

One thing I did just remember is that when I felt fine the day after (13th April) my boyfriend was smoking a lot of weed next to me to deal with the come down (I wasn't smoking any but we were in bed in the room all day and he was smoking without any windows open), is there any chance it wasn't the MDMA/coke at all, and it was the weed that caused me to wake up on the 14th with all these horrible symptoms? As I said I wasn't smoking but I did spend the day inhaling all his smoke, and I was fine that day, in fact it was the last day I was fine before all this nastiness started ):

IMHO, it's unlikely

I will keep you all updated on my progress, one thing I will certainly do if/when I do come out of this, is tell everyone I recovered! I think the problem is a lot of the experiences I'm reading on the internet are very negative, because people who did recover are too busy going out and living their lives and it's mainly only the ones who are suffering for a long time who stick around.

absolutely! there are much people online ranting about their symptoms because as you said when someone recovers he's too busy enjoying his life.
definetely keep us updated! every little step matters. have you cheked out that website yet? I find it very very useful (I don't suffer from anxiety but all it's written makes a lot of sense and seems very helpful)
last advice I leave you with is, be positive, learn to meditate, do yoga, breath exercises, whatever. and of course stay healthy! when you'll be 100% you'll even be a better person than you were before.
cheers <3

Hey India,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The debate on brain damage vs triggering anxiety disorders is ongoing and certainly not clearly known. Even if you and others, (myself included) did cause some type of brain damage 1) there is nothing you can do about it now and 2) you will get better and improve to the point that a normal life is still more than likely.

I know exactly how you feel bc I went through it as well 3 months ago. I can only tell you that I feel pretty good these days and my symptoms are few and far between and still improving. You have to follow this simple recipe though as virtually everyone in here will tell you that is or has gone through this long-term "comedown."

1) Abstain from ALL drugs and caffeine.
2) Eat as healthily as you can. Fruits, Veggies, Protein...Fish and Walnuts are really good.
3) Exercise. Exercise. Exercise. And by exercise, I mean running. Run outside or at the gym, but run at a steady pace until you get tired or as much as you can handle initially. It's clinically proven to stimulate brain healing and, of course, it relieves stress. The first couple of times I attempted to run I could only handle it for 5 minutes bc my symptoms were making me so nauseous. I run for an hour a day now - at least.
4) If you eat well enough, vitamins are sort of unnecessary - theoretically. But, I personally recommend taking a Fish/Krill Oil, B-6, Vitamin C, and 5-HTP. 5-HTP becomes irrelevant after a couple of months. There are also a bunch of brain food vitamins on the market (nootropics). I would try one. If your brain has suffered any sort of trauma, it makes sense to me that having some building blocks available to help in the repair would be a good thing. Oh, and if you need help sleeping - Melatonin.

My guess is you are probably in for a long-term comedown, but it is possible that you will be fine within a few weeks. If your symptoms persist much longer, you are probably looking at months to a year or so, but you will get better. Believe that!

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb95 no my vision isn't blurred, it's the strangest feeling, the only thing I can liken it to is when I used to get migraines as a kid and there was a period of time before the migraine hit that I felt really out of it, and when I looked in the mirror I couldn't really 'see' my reflection properly, even though I could still point out every minor detail of my face. I looked up derealisation and that seems to be what I'm experiencing, it's very disorientating and frightening, as if nothing is the same since I rolled ): I actually started feeling like maybe I OD'd that night and I'm in a coma or something and that's why everything seems so unreal, though I've been trying to shake those thoughts out of my head as even entertaining the idea is detrimental to my recovery

I was feeling better last night and this morning, as I said the sickness has definitely eased over the past two days, I was doing fairly well today until I went to my GP, I was hoping for at least some advice if I couldn't get any answers or referral to a psychiatrist but I received none of those things :(

Thank you all for your advice, this is really helping me try to get through this, and rphilli72 I'm glad to hear you're recovering :) I'm currently exercising and eating well, just trying to get some professional help with the anxiety now. I was previously on citalopram for anxiety (a longgg time before I started taking MDMA though as I know it can be dangerous, stopped 8 or so months before) and I'm very tempted to start taking it again especially as I'm really depressed at the moment too, any thoughts on anti-depressants for long term comedowns? I was previously only on a low dose, 10mg a day

I'm so looking forward to the day when I can look back on this all and go 'well that sucked, so glad I don't feel anything like that anymore'

By the way if anyone has experienced derealisation/depersonalisation in particular and recovered please do message me or post your story on here, I find them very encouraging. I would look on the forums related to it myself but occasionally I see one from someone who is still suffering and it makes my heart sink :(

ComfortablyNumb95 no my vision isn't blurred, it's the strangest feeling, the only thing I can liken it to is when I used to get migraines as a kid and there was a period of time before the migraine hit that I felt really out of it, and when I looked in the mirror I couldn't really 'see' my reflection properly, even though I could still point out every minor detail of my face. I looked up derealisation and that seems to be what I'm experiencing, it's very disorientating and frightening, as if nothing is the same since I rolled ): I actually started feeling like maybe I OD'd that night and I'm in a coma or something and that's why everything seems so unreal, though I've been trying to shake those thoughts out of my head as even entertaining the idea is detrimental to my recovery

I was feeling better last night and this morning, as I said the sickness has definitely eased over the past two days, I was doing fairly well today until I went to my GP, I was hoping for at least some advice if I couldn't get any answers or referral to a psychiatrist but I received none of those things :(

Thank you all for your advice, this is really helping me try to get through this, and rphilli72 I'm glad to hear you're recovering :) I'm currently exercising and eating well, just trying to get some professional help with the anxiety now. I was previously on citalopram for anxiety (a longgg time before I started taking MDMA though as I know it can be dangerous, stopped 8 or so months before) and I'm very tempted to start taking it again especially as I'm really depressed at the moment too, any thoughts on anti-depressants for long term comedowns? I was previously only on a low dose, 10mg a day

I'm so looking forward to the day when I can look back on this all and go 'well that sucked, so glad I don't feel anything like that anymore'

By the way if anyone has experienced derealisation/depersonalisation in particular and recovered please do message me or post your story on here, I find them very encouraging. I would look on the forums related to it myself but occasionally I see one from someone who is still suffering and it makes my heart sink :(

I recommend taking anti-anxiety meds bc they will work well for all your symptoms when needed. I think most of us that have experienced this have had the derealization/dp symptom. For me, that symptom was one of the first to vanish. I'd say for me it was gone after about a month or so. Maybe slightly longer. Think about it, your most severe symptoms are the ones that will likely heal first as you recover from whatever the trauma you/we suffered bc your brain is trying to figure out how to get to functioning properly again. Like I said, you will get better. It just takes time! Don't expect to wake up tomorrow and feel just fine bc that is not going to happen. Trust me, I thought I was headed for the psych ward for quite a while. Now, I don't think about any of this for days on end until a slight symptom may surface, which is usually head pressure/tension followed by slight anxiety. I'm pretty sure in a year or so my symptoms will be virtually gone. Best wishes!

Last edited:
Just to update you all I've been doing better this week, the sickness has definitely subsided (only really flares up when I get really anxious, whereas before I was constantly feeling like I needed to vomit) and the headache has subsided slightly (though as I'm typing this it's bad, but only because I've been looking at a computer screen too much today) I think the dr/dp has subsided a bit, it's definitely better in the evenings when I'm winding down, hopefully this means once I tackle my anxiety it'll disappear :) it's definitely the worst symptom, but as I said I'm pretty sure it's getting slowly better, before it was so bad I couldn't even choose something in a shop because I felt so detached and scared, but today when looking for some running shoes (trying to exercise loads) I noticed I actually cared about choosing ones I liked, rather than just grabbing a pair and getting out of the shop as quickly as possible! (my symptoms worsen when I'm in busy settings).

I think if I look at how I am now in comparison to the person I was before all this happened it's easy to feel like I'm making zero progress, but it's important to instead look at how I am on a day-by-day basis. For example, it suddenly hit me I was making progress when I actually felt hungry for a meal and ate the whole lot (as opposed to just forcing it down because I have to eat) and enjoyed it. Also, earlier I was watching a television programme and found myself genuinely laughing at some of the jokes. If I'm able to find something funny, my dp/dr can't be that bad surely?

It's difficult because maybe I'm self diagnosing, I do feel very detached and disorientated from my settings, but I do find comfort in speaking to people I know like my mum (who is luckily amazingly supportive about this whole thing, and is doing everything to help me through it). I've heard people with dp/dr can't really connect with anyone because they feel like strangers. It could just be sleep depravation, unfortunately the insomnia has gotten worse and I'm getting a couple of hours of sleep a night, if that

rphili72 I hope your recovery doesn't last much longer and that you are back to 100% soon, I will definitely try getting my hands on some more vitamins, I got some vitamin C like you said, it's probably a placebo effect but I found myself feeling instantly a bit lifted after having one. I think I'll discuss with my doctor tomorrow and weigh up the pros and cons of going back on my citalopram, it did work well for me last time I tried it although one annoying side effect was that it made me sleep more than I usually would, though right now that's exactly what I need :\

I'll see how I feel, I am making improvements and I feel like everything will improve once my university deadlines have passed