• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed+Teachers=???

Kvspur

Greenlighter
So I'm Planning On Being A High School English Teacher In California When I Get Older. Will It Be Okay To Smoke Weed If I Have A License When I'm Older And Or Will The School I Choose To Work At Not Hire Me Because Of It? I'm 15 Now So Look Ahead About Six Years. Thanks.

Well, this is kind of a grey area, to be honest.

Teachers that announce to the world that they're into pot are obviously a no-go, however teachers that smoke pot discreetly (whether it's habitual or occasional) seem to be a huge statistic amongst the USA's teaching population.

So, officially and on paper, no, you absolutely can not smoke weed and teach the children of your nation. Unofficially? If you can pass a piss test and your kids are passing their classes, no one's going to give much of a fuck what you do so long as you can make yourself seem wholesome. Fair warning from my own experience: male pot-smoking teachers get busted by administration way more often than female pot-smoking teachers.

Keep your usage of mind altering substances to yourself in any professional context and you won't have any problems occupying any job you want to do in my opinion :)

my english teacher my senior year always joked with me and my friend about weed

she was super chill, graduated from stanford and all too

Im pretty sure my art teacher (its always the art teacher) in high school was constantly baked. Some days I was seriously convinced that she was on a ton of amphetamines as well.

One of my friends is the Head of the Science and English departments and is a huge stoner (not to mention psychonaut). Just keep it to yourself, and be wary of who you talk to about it. Teachers are huge gossips.

After senior year I went to a party my older cousin was throwing and saw my bitchy ass English teacher smoking weed and blowing lines, so yea... if she can do it, anyone can.

What they don't know wont hurt them. If getting high does not negatively effect your performance you shouldn't worry about anything.

Lots of people that work in education smoke and use other drugs during the days off. I do not know any that smoke before going to work. I will say that the summers off usually draws certain types of people. I know tons of teachers that basically just go travel to concerts or go backpacking during the summer.

But 6 years is a long time, might sound crazy now, but you might not even be interested in marijuana at that point.

It depends on the school or school district as some do drug testing if you are a teacher, or even a substitute teacher before you get the job and with some schools or districts they can randomly test you if they want to.

DO NOT talk about it, joke about it, or hint about it to students, or your peers-other teachers.

There were young fresh out of college teachers in my highschool who went to a party thrown by a student that was near where they lived and they drank alcohol and smoked herb with students and they did not stay teachers for long.

There were young fresh out of college teachers in my highschool who went to a party thrown by a student that was near where they lived and they drank alcohol and smoked herb with students and they did not stay teachers for long.

Good, I wouldn't want someone that stupid teaching my kids. It's already creepy enough when random older dudes hang out with high school kids, but their teacher... damn...

If you can pass a piss test and your kids are passing their classes

Teachers are piss tested? Good luck firing one in a med pot state for off campus medical approved use.
OP Please Do Not Teach Kids To Write Every Word With A Capital.

Good, I wouldn't want someone that stupid teaching my kids. It's already creepy enough when random older dudes hang out with high school kids, but their teacher... damn...

Ugh that reminds me of this creepy older guy who was a teacher in my HS. He had a PhD. and taught history classes and he would cross the line and get touchy feely with the HS girls and groping them or touching their legs. The district knew about him and did nothing since he wasn't having sex with them but he never got fired because he had a PhD. I was told I should have been in his class but I refused to take his class and so did most of my female friends in HS. He was paid way too much and should have been at a community college instead.

The other teachers I mentioned who had just graduated college a year or two were really stupid for going to the student's party and openly using drugs. There were some teachers I had in highschool who did say in front of their class how they had smoked pot or used drugs as teenagers or college students but they no longer used them. That's still a really stupid thing to do though.

I can only speak for CA. My buddy is a teacher, he has a card. Evidently your name only goes on, "the list" when you register with the state--but then if you do that no cop can ever fuck with you over bud in CA, no questions asked (within reason, don't roll with 100 lbs of wax because you're state registered).

But simply getting a card, no, you're safe. You are on the doctors list only, with confidentiality rights.

Teachers are piss tested? Good luck firing one in a med pot state for off campus medical approved use.
OP Please Do Not Teach Kids To Write Every Word With A Capital.

I don't need luck, I just need to read up on the law.

re: Colorado off-duty recreational marijuana use: http://www.fwlaw.com/news/300-colorado-court-appeals-rules-employers-may-terminate-employees-test-positive

Re: California off-duty medicinal marijuana use, see Ross v. RagingWire Telecommunications

CANORML said:
The California Supreme Court ruled 5-2 that employers can drug test and fire workers for using medical marijuana. The court dismissed a lawsuit brought by Gary Ross under the state's Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) arguing that he had been wrongfully denied employment by RagingWire Telecommunications on account of testing positive for past use of marijuana on a urine test.

People forget that while some states are more than cool with you burning one on your down time, the federal government does not play that shit. Supremacy Clause, bitchessssssssss.

It's bullshit, but it is what it is. So yeah, you want to teach and smoke pot? Go ahead, but if a Wal-Mart worker with a medicinal prescription in CALIFORNIA was fired for testing dirty for pot, and then the state's Supreme Court upheld the termination on appeal, I don't think the law'll be any more lenient on a teacher just trying to unwind at the end of the day with a joint.

Oh, and yes, teachers are subject to UAs. I imagine policies would vary from district-to-district and state-to-state, but you can bet your ass if the board of education wants one of their teachers to fill up a cup then that shit will be filled.

I would recommend getting a working visa to work somewhere in europe where the European Court of Human Rights law is enforced, giving you the privacy from intrusive drug testing you require. If you chose to live in a country like the Czech Republic you would even be able to grow some plants of your own.

Moving country is a big step you might not be interested in, but assimilating a new language and culture, even if for only a few years can be very rewarding and will help you to grow as a person.

At my high-school it was a known fact that the photography teacher smoked a joint during lunch. Why nothing was ever done about this I do not know, perhaps it was because he was one of the students favorite teachers and he ran a successful classroom and taught a popular sport. There were even rumors of him doing mushrooms with some of the students.

As an adult, I had a very close friend who was a habitual marijuana smoker that just so happened to teach high-school by day, in CA.

If you get a Cannabis Rec from a Doc in CA your name is not on a government list. Only if you choose to pay the money and register your card with the state for further legal protection will it be.

At my high-school it was a known fact that the photography teacher smoked a joint during lunch. Why nothing was ever done about this I do not know, perhaps it was because he was one of the students favorite teachers and he ran a successful classroom and taught a popular sport.

What it really boils down to is how your superiors feel about your use. There might be a reason the teacher was so brazen about his use, which the administration found to be compelling enough to smoke, maybe, just maybe, there are some superintendents/principals that are also progressive.