• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed question.

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
For someone who has never smoked weed and suffers from panic attacks/anxiety, what is the likelihood that smoking weed would induce a panic attack?

For someone who has never smoked weed and suffers from panic attacks/anxiety, what is the likelihood that smoking weed would induce a panic attack?
high levels of THC is likely to be the culprit if you have smoked and got a panic attack that or its just your own anxiety
from personal exp sativa dominant strains will likely cause anxiety/panic attacks and paranoia
so for anxiety/panic attacks look for a indica dominant, take a small toke and assess how you feel you can smoke more never less
but if you do want to smoke and look for a 1:1 CBD to THC ratio strain CBD will combat the anxiety people get from smoking
to be on a safe side find a strain with an even higher cbd ratio
there is a strain called ac/dc and its around 15:1 CBD to THC it will def kill any anxiety you have and relax you plenty of other strains with the same ratios you will get more of a body high than a head high so if you want to get high just look for any indica dom strain
cannatonic,harliquen, acdc,valentine x among many others check out leafly and search for those strains

Everytime i smoke i get a panic attack. I've never tried an indica strain, as i would normally just get it from some joe schmoe, but i do hear the indica strain can actually HELP anxiety as a xanax would. As i said i HEAR it, i have never SEEN it, so what really do i know.

I too suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and think its well worth a shot to try the indica strain, as i would like to. I hate xanax because of its hazardous withdrawal properties and would like to take something that wont severely harm me if i choose to go without for a while.

Idk, just my opinion.

As for just grabbing a bag off someone and trying it, it very well may induce a panic attack. You've put the idea in your head that it will happen (as i often do) and it happens. But i say try it, and see how you feel. You dont know until you know. And if you do and it makes you "geek out" then just eat some food and try to sleep. That usually worked for me.

you can also drink water with some lemon juice or eat some peppercorn if you get a cannabis induced panic attack
or if you have a xanax take one and wait an hour before smoking

Maybe you will, and maybe you will not. You don't know until you do it. Do it at home either alone or with a friend who has smoked before, and when you're not stressed out, or don't have to drive anywhere for the night.

Perhaps have a low dose of a benzo on hand if things get really bad and you can't stand it. I've never used a benzo for anxiety or panic attacks or recreationally to get high on, so I am not sure how they work? If you get any anxiety while smoking or vaping just tell yourself that you'll be fine in a few hours. Avoid smoking way too much at once just take 1 hit or a 2nd one at the most hours later if you want to smoke again, and don't smoke anymore. Avoid eating cannabis or hash in food as unless the THC mg is listed it can be very difficult to gauge how high you'll get and it's easy to eat way too much and get insanely high.

If you're with another person who smokes regularly or often keep in mind that they'll possibly have a tolerance to herb, and they will have to smoke more herb to get super high while as you will get super high from only 1-2 inhalations, and don't smoke more than that your first time or keep hitting the pipe or spliff when it gets passed to you as you'll get super high and you wrote how you get anxiety/panic attacks, and have never smoked cannabis or hash before.

Some people find a spliff or smoking from a small pipe to give them a more mellow high. Bongs are fun but I wouldn't reccomend them for a person who has never smoked before ever, and you can always try one another time if you enjoy cannabis or hash.

If you can pick and choose the type or strain of cannabis or hash you're going to smoke, get one that's got more CBD than THC, maybe try an Indica or Indica dominant strain, and some people get lots of paranoia/anxiety on Sativa types but you've never smoked any herb before so it's uncertain if you will or will not. Good luck.

Last edited:
sativa dominant strains will likely cause anxiety/panic attacks and paranoia
so for anxiety/panic attacks look for a indica dominant, take a small toke and assess how you feel you can smoke more never less
but if you do want to smoke and look for a 1:1 CBD to THC ratio strain CBD will combat the anxiety people get from smoking
to be on a safe side find a strain with an even higher cbd ratio

This is very good advice. My sister has anxiety issues and has often gotten one too many panic attacks while smoking. I recently got her a 4:1 THC:CBD wax from an indica strain and she loves it. Not everyone can get CBD extracts and I've only seen 1:1 THC:CBD strains once in my life, so it's still hard to get these things. Going for indica strains that are a more sedating, heavy stone is probably the best option you have. As others have said, administer and wait, see how you like it and maybe try a little more later when you feel good about it. Avoid edibles, that's how most people end up panicking.

This is very good advice. My sister has anxiety issues and has often gotten one too many panic attacks while smoking. I recently got her a 4:1 THC:CBD wax from an indica strain and she loves it. Not everyone can get CBD extracts and I've only seen 1:1 THC:CBD strains once in my life, so it's still hard to get these things. Going for indica strains that are a more sedating, heavy stone is probably the best option you have. As others have said, administer and wait, see how you like it and maybe try a little more later when you feel good about it. Avoid edibles, that's how most people end up panicking.

there is always a way to get anything you want just have to look and network if needed :)
but yes high cbd strains are very hard to find at times but they are out there
i personally love the acdc strain that or harlequin which is 1:1 just enough head high that is not overpowering and with the cbd into the mix its a good balance
i got a panic attack the last time i medicated and i ate some pepper corn it kicked me out of panic mode
but in all reality its anxiety causing the bad high because many of us anxiety riddled people when our heart rate goes up it makes us panic and of course thc is responsible for accelerating it which is normal but many people cant handle it due to the head high
start small and increase little by little so you can build tolerance or try it with a vaporizer less likely to get a panic attack if you start small
just keep in mind no one has ever died while being under the influence of cannabis well not from the cannabis itself

I almost always got them when i smoked...I asked alot of people if it happened to them too and a few of them said they expierenced the same thing. About a year later i was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder though. After a few months i gave up. A few years later, for a couple months, i was able to smoke a bit at night to get myself to sleep easier, and had no panic attacks/anxiety then.

Good responses in this thread. Especially with the strain discussion and CBD and THC ratio content discussion.

The only thing I have to add would be to SMOKE AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

It's your first time you said, right? One small toke will do you.

Well if you start with the assumption that you will have a panic attack when smoking then it will most likely happen. Try to start with a small dose (no bong or pipes), relax and then see how it goes for you.
In case you have one then drink water or orange juice and try to think positively.

That's not going to happen during a panic attack. "Negative thinking" is intrinsic to this kind of thing.

this is exactly why we have anxiety thinking negative is "normal" for us
if it wasn't we wouldnt have anxiety lol
for anyone else interested in cannabis with anxiety look for the CBDCREW
plenty of good information online

If you're in a comfortable place i think you'll have a great time, just take it easy and take little hits until you feel stoned enough.
If you really don't like it then just stop smoking, have something to eat and chill, nothing to worry about.

I have to say I'm one of those people that is very prone to having anxiety and paranoia attacks on weed and although limiting the dose helps, as does sticking to indicas, I found that using a 1:1 THC:CBD strain had an almost magical effect on getting rid of these negative feelings. I could just smoke normally without having to be highly cautious before each and every toke keeping it in mind that it could lead me one step further to having a freak out. I smoked Nordle, a mostly indica strain from the CBD Crew so whether a more sativa leaning 1:1 strain from the CBD Crew would be as forgiving I don't know, but I intend to try and find out.

When you smoke 1:1 THC:CBD strains there does seem to be somewhat of a perceived ceiling effect where beyond a point you don't seem to get that much higher without much effort. So it's better for people with genuine medical conditions and psychiatric issues like anxiety.

It's really a hit or miss. Weed has always helped me with panic attacks personally. No matter what, I keep a bowl for just such an occasion.