• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed panic attack

Jessewilliam

Greenlighter
Hey guys, hope I'm posting in the right spot.

When I was 15 I tried weed for the first time, didn't really do anything and just thought it was like cigarettes, So I had done it a few times after.

About a year later I was with someone who gave me few big doses and it hit me. I freaked out, felt confused, afraid and worried enough to run home and tell my dad to call 911.

Now being 26 and taking cocaine often and strong pain killers on occasion, I'm wondering why I had such a bad experience.

I tried a little few months back and got a that confused feeling and semi-worried.

I know so many people who enjoy weed and I'd really like to give it a go without the panic.

Try smoking less and try to do something while your high so your not in your head so much.

I started smoking weed when I was 12, and never understood why people get panic attacks/anxiety from weed when it made me so relaxed. Fast forward to now, went without smoking for 2+ years and when I came back to it I felt really weird and uncomfortable at first. Never had a panic attack but I definitely felt what people are referring to. I got more used to the high and weed gives me that same relaxed feeling now, in fact it is anti anxiety for me now.

Some tips for beginner smokers:

Smoke less weed, maybe with lower THC. Don't try to smoke a joint or a blunt. Just one hit is all ya need. Smoke at a place you know, with people you know. Don't smoke and then run around trying to get shit done. This should eliminate most of the anxiety.

I started smoking weed at 12, too. I think the more you abuse shitty weed, which is what we had back in the day, the worst the symptomology and side-effect profile. I quit when I was maybe 22 due to this and having to slam a bunch of drinks when I got panic attacks from it. Fast forward 10 years, I gave it a break, and when offered a med license, I decided to try it, and I have absolutely no problem even getting very very baked on very very good weed these days.

Yeah but just control your intake and maybe try different strains if necessary. I had posted an article where people were using peppercorns to treat weed paranoia and anxiety. Anythings worth a try, eh?

Some strains are worse than others for this, and some methods are as well. Don't smoke a joint or do huge bong rips, for instance. As with any psychedelic, your state of mind and your surroundings matter, too. I think that's actually the most important factor.

Definatley try and acquire a few strains to see if its a problem with specific ones. Personally I can't stand sativa heavy strains despite having being able to smoke them when I was younger. Now they just fill me with anxiety and paranoia. Indica strains however, or some good hash, generally make me chilled out and anxiety free.

It could just be that weed isn't for you though. I know a fair few people who literally can't smoke because it induces anxiety and/or panic attacks, even people who've previously loved the stuff.

Definatley try and acquire a few strains to see if its a problem with specific ones. Personally I can't stand sativa heavy strains despite having being able to smoke them when I was younger. Now they just fill me with anxiety and paranoia. Indica strains however, or some good hash, generally make me chilled out and anxiety free.

It could just be that weed isn't for you though. I know a fair few people who literally can't smoke because it induces anxiety and/or panic attacks, even people who've previously loved the stuff.

Strange, I find that sativas are more mild and easy on the anxiety side of things, I smoked some bubblegum the other night which is a indica dominant strain and it kicked my arse and I almost freaked out, I did smoke a bit too much mind.

This happens with some people. I think its due to low GABA levels. I can only smoke it if I'm on benzos or iboga. Or dissociatives, but I have to be very careful with the dose on iboga or dissociatives cuz its like rocket fuel. I can smoke it on GABA_b agonists too but by far the most potent anxiolytics for cannabis for me are benzos so I put it down to GABA_a receptors. I smoked it for years and I used to get good effects on it, but nowadays to get those same effects I have to be on benzos too. Smoking it sober I get panic attacks. Scary stuff. The worst by far is smoking it after a meth binge where I'm sleep deprived, that triggers full blown psychosis in me. Benzos completely reverse that. Other anxiolytics like trazodone, gabapentin, mirtazapine etc. don't stop the anxiety much. I notice that benzos raise my tolerance to cannabis massively too though. While sober, even a tiny amount has huge effects on me. On benzos I can consume huge quantities and be normal. Well, to a point. With synthetic cannabinoids I've overdosed multiple times while on benzos and while theres no anxiety, some dodgy stuff happens. I get paralysed and start pouring cold sweat and crazy stuff like that.

To give it a go without the panic, take some benzos before hand. 1 or 2 mg of xanax will wipe out any anxiety.

I started smoking weed at 12, too. I think the more you abuse shitty weed, which is what we had back in the day, the worst the symptomology and side-effect profile. I quit when I was maybe 22 due to this and having to slam a bunch of drinks when I got panic attacks from it. Fast forward 10 years, I gave it a break, and when offered a med license, I decided to try it, and I have absolutely no problem even getting very very baked on very very good weed these days.

Yeah but just control your intake and maybe try different strains if necessary. I had posted an article where people were using peppercorns to treat weed paranoia and anxiety. Anythings worth a try, eh?
Yeah thats pretty much what happened with me. Minus the fast forward 10 years part. Its been about 6 years since I quit, but I've done it multiple times over the course of those 6 years and things haven't improved for me. Should have given it a bigger break. Its such a great substance, especially the way its non addictive, I wish I could use it. Alcohol doesn't help with the panic for me, only benzos and GABA_b drugs do. What are peppercorns? That sounds interesting, I'll give that a try.

i am very much like you, usually do painkillers and handle my shit easy but when i smoke some strong bud i can have a panic attack. i have lots of experience with anxiety in general anyways though so i have it handled now. the best option is to keep a benzo around to put under your tongue if you cant stop panicking, it will stop the attack in its tracks. i personally would suggest Ativan or Klonopin, if you don't have benzos go to the store and you can get like 100 Benadryl for 5$, pop 75-100mg and you should be relaxed / sedated.

It's a normal response. A lot of people suffer panic attacks when they've smoked weed. When I was 16, I smoked weed four times before I began to suffer anxiety. The first four times were great: my sense of humour increased greatly, as did my appreciation of food. :) Good times. But it's like any drug: you get those honeymoon moments, then you're left with the dirge. Most people start to suffer anxiety and panic attacks.

I tried to re-capture those golden times. I tried hash, bud, oil, RCs, all types: nothing! Don't worry about it...move on!

anybody else wish they could smoke weed if only it didn't make them anxious?

i love love love the positive effects of weed but these days it's been making me anxious. dunno what's up with that.

i would smoke a whole lot more if not for the anxiety.

Only smoke a small amount... One rip or two. If you feel no change after 15 min, mayb another one.
ALSO, try to find a strain with low THC, and high CBD. High cbd will help keep your anxiety problems suppressed.
-happy tokin y'all! ?