• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed Migraine

Klapsmuhle

Greenlighter
I've been trying to figure this out for months and I want to hear other people's opinions on it. Buckle the fuck up because this will take some explaining.

During the beginning of this past year, I started smoking pot a bit more regularly. I smoked one particular Sunday night, had no problems. The following night, I suddenly felt this stiff pain in my neck out of absolute nowhere, accompanied by a migraine. I managed to sleep it off.
About a week later on another Sunday night, I took a hit from a pipe and immediately felt the same stiff neck pain from the week before, and the worst migraine I have ever experienced, along with tremors, nausea, and a lot of vomiting. A week passed and the migraine was still there; I never lost it until finally I was hospitalized. During this time, I was diagnosed with a brain AVM (it's a defect I was born with). AVM's can cause headaches and migraines, and with my history of migraines, I have noticed they are usually triggered by dehydration.
Ultimately I'm trying to figure out if the AVM was the problem, or was it just my general health at the time? When the incident happened, I was underweight and not eating well, had a low tolerance, was dehydrated, and wasn't on any migraine medication (now I am, and have not had any migraines since being on it). I know weed can be used to treat migraines, so I really want to believe that the weed in combination with my AVM was not the problem. Some of my friends smoked the same weed and I had even smoked from the same bud before (the week before the shitty Sunday situation happened) and no one had any issues. I don't think I smoked any seeds or stems, but maybe I missed one? Was the weed too potent for me or something? I'm obviously not an expert, but I really want to hear your opinions, if I can find any glimmer of hope that I can get high again. I've just been going in circles trying to figure this out because AVM's aren't exactly common, and there really haven't been studies on how mj can affect someone who has one. I'm not sure if there's even a point in asking my doctor about it, but regardless I'd be kind of nervous to ask him anyway because I'd expect him to just tell me that no one should ever smoke weed. I haven't even gotten an opportunity to speak to him without one of my parents in the room because they need to hear about my treatment plans.

Another thing I don't really understand is, how does mj treat migraines? I remember reading somewhere that migraines occur when blood vessels in the brain become too dilated, but weed dilates blood vessels, doesn't it? Wouldn't that make the migraine worse, or is weed supposed to be used to prevent them rather than get rid of them?

Thanks for tolerating this obnoxiously long post. I doubt I'll get any clear answers but if anyone could at least give me some ideas or point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. I was finally starting to enjoy pot and I really hope I have a chance at smoking it again.

Another thing I don't really understand is, how does mj treat migraines? I remember reading somewhere that migraines occur when blood vessels in the brain become too dilated, but weed dilates blood vessels, doesn't it? Wouldn't that make the migraine worse, or is weed supposed to be used to prevent them rather than get rid of them?

Treating a symptom and eliminating/curing the root problem are two separate things.

Marijuana's toted as a pain reliever and migraines are painful as fuck, so, while MMJ won't cure a person of their migraine problem, the medicine may make the migraines more manageable. There's an entire branch of doctors who specialize in this kind of thing, and they call it "pain management."

Salutations,

Maybe there's a hint in those cannabinoïd patents:

USA Patent 6630507 [2003]
USA Patent 0059018 [2013]
USA Patent 0086653 [2015]

I'd personally bet on anti-inflamatory properties that help prevent (instead of mask...) one possible origin of related pain. The last 2 patents are focussed on cancer.

Good day, have fun!! =D