• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed making me think to much

Billard

Bluelighter
For like the past 3-4 months whenever i smoke (wich is about once a day or once every 2 days) i get to thinking way to hard.. its like the second my buzz kicks in its just thought after thought, and i start getting depressed, feeling lonely, basicaly start mentaly beating myself up and i just cant seem to enjoy getting high anymore.. Ive had several diff strains lately both indica, sativa and hybrids and nothing works anymore.. I been a smoker for years and have smoked most of the popular strains out today.. Has anybody been having this prob lately? Weed just isnt the same anymore to me but i loved it my whole adult life unill recently. Ugh, is there anyway to fix this? Anyway to actullay enjoy getting high again without thinking to hard and worrying? I miss when i would smoke and laugh n be happy and worry free. Its the complete opposite now.. Any advice would help. Appericate it.

when I'm sad, smoking might calm me down a little but it doesn't make me happy just numbs the pain a little. Probably time for a break, time to really pursue other Interests in life

Sometimes you've just got to take a break, everything in moderation right?

On a different note though, I have had similar effects at different points in my life. As a young adult responsibilities continue to grow, eventually we carry all this burden and stress subconsciously. Cannabis can alter your thought patters and perhaps makes you see a different perspective on something that can cause you anxiety.

Try taking smaller hits and waiter longer in between hits to have a better gauge of how you feel.

Just some hippie wisdom- first post by the way!

Welcome friendlyhippy. In my opinion we could use a lot more of your kind around here.

Billard, perhaps this reaction you are experiencing is caused by stress you may be dealing with. If I am going through a difficult time emotionally or having obsessive thoughts, weed seems to magnify it a great deal, creating mountains out of molehills. My anxiety skyrockets and paranoia sets in.

What kind of thoughts are you
having that make you feel sad? Maybe try and pinpoint exactly what these issues are and address them. Marijuana tends to reveal ourselves to ourselves. The awareness can be overwhelming and all feelings, the good and the bad, will surface sooner or later.

I am going to have to side with Mafioso on this one.

maybe try to do other stuff like listening to good music or playing video games instead of thinking, do things thats make you happy

That's how I described my problems to a psychiatrist/psychologist way back in like 10th grade (2003-2004). Eventually, I ended up diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and I've got conflicting opinions (I refuse to call them diagnoses' because I don't think they really know what the fuck they're talking about) saying I've also got PTSD or Borderline Personality Disorder.

The best way to describe my anxiety is that I can't get my mind to shut the fuck up. It's like my thought processes are out of my control at times and, mentally (if this makes any sense), I get tunnel vision until I can't help but focus on one usually relatively insignificant thing that feels to me like it's about to change my life. I don't want to give specific examples because it's honestly embarrassing some of the things I've broken down and had panic attacks over before (usually typical, everyday things around the house), but then on the other hand I've seen people seriously fucking hurt and die in front of me and went about my business like hey, that's life for you. I have nerves of steel in car wrecks, but I feel like I'm falling apart if you throw me into the middle of a huge crowd. It's fucking weird. Superman in one situation, Bubble Boy in others. So weird... Lately, as in the past year or two, it's turned into an anger issue. Like, I used to get nervous and be stuck about what the best course of action is. Now nearly every time I feel anxious, caught off-guard, panicky, it quickly-- and I mean QUICKLY-- escalates into anger at whatever I perceive to be causing my anxiety. It used to be my fight or flight response would just get triggered and I'd start feeling jittery, but now it's pretty much a given that I jump straight into confrontational fight-mode. It's... unhealthy.... and I wouldn't suggest letting your anxiety problem, if you do have one, progress to that point.

But yeah, bro, read up on anxiety. Not necessarily anxiety disorders, just the concept itself. I think you'd be able to better wrap your head around what you're personally going through if you looked up some medical/scientific info on the subject.

Last edited:
Look THC is Psychedelic. Psychedelic means "mind-manifesting". Your mind is creating your problems. On the subconscious level there isn't much you can do but on a conscious level seek to study the buzz of the weed more than the introspection. Everyone likes to think weed is so introspective and shit but personally weed isn't very spiritual or introspective IMO. I personally find weed to simply increase the rate of thought production and the depth of a thought.

Basically I just think weed makes one over-think. Trust me i know all about what you're talking about. I have a friend who gets this on a very intense level and personally I don't think he should be smoking any weed cuz this kind of mind-bending feeling can lead people to anxiety and depression.

As the hippy guy was saying it sounds like your subconscious is dealing with a lot. So consciously make the job easier. I don't really know how to explain this but sort of reach a level of complacency while you're sober. If you know what i mean? Since weed is "psychedelic" the same "set & setting" rules apply. You wouldn't go taking psychs if you were anxious and stressed out.

^ interesting Jibult how you mention that your anxiety has recently turned into an anger issue. I have never thought of it that way but after reading your post realize that perhaps that is where my latest issue with anger and irritability stems from. It is almost like a defense mechanism instead of getting angry about what is causing me the anxiety/discomfort, I get angry and often times act out towards whoever or whatever may be making me feel uncomfortable or awkward at the moment. This to me feels better then being anxious and I can usually go home at the end of the night and forget about it as opposed to bottling the feelings up and replaying events over and over again in my head causing more anxiety and problems for me later. But sometimes I am quite clearly out of line because I guess I can be delusional, or so I am told, and I regret my actions later.

Thanks everybody! Welcome aboard hippy we can use more ppl like you around this hell hole! But yeah i think all you guys are right. I have a fuck ton of probs in my life lately. They just dont surface till i smoke. Or atleast i dont let em get to me as bad when im sober. And i cant quit smoking ive loved mary for 10+ years she got me thru the worst shit of my life and kept me happy many of bored nights., kinda sad shes starting to turn her back on me now sorta kind of, the one girl i thought would never let me down is starting to let me down, but i did notice when im happy im happy even if i smoke im still happy i might look at things a lil deeper but it doesn't beat me up.. I just been so sad lately i have a boat of probs all i do is worry n wonder n stress myself. as of now im having probs with my gf, my car just broke down 2 days ago, im on bad terms with a friend i known my whole life over a girl, i need money, need clothes, gotta raise my son without his ma cuz shes a cunt n left us 3 years ago, leaving me n my ma to raise him, also i should mention im a former heavy xtc user but havent rolled in years idk if that has anything to do with my depression or not but its all becoming overwhelming to me lately. Weed use to make me happy even when i was sad before idk why its so much more intense now maybe im just getting old or my probs are more serious now but it sucks... I gotta get ready for work maybe when i get home il go more into detail but i believe all you are right i need to solve my probs before smoking again. Thanks alot i apperciate it and kinda figured thats what was wrong i just have a lot of probs right now n like somebody above me said if ur anixous and stressed dont be doing psychedlics.

^ interesting Jibult how you mention that your anxiety has recently turned into an anger issue. I have never thought of it that way but after reading your post realize that perhaps that is where my latest issue with anger and irritability stems from. It is almost like a defense mechanism instead of getting angry about what is causing me the anxiety/discomfort, I get angry and often times act out towards whoever or whatever may be making me feel uncomfortable or awkward at the moment. This to me feels better then being anxious and I can usually go home at the end of the night and forget about it as opposed to bottling the feelings up and replaying events over and over again in my head causing more anxiety and problems for me later. But sometimes I am quite clearly out of line because I guess I can be delusional, or so I am told, and I regret my actions later.

Yeah, brutha, anxiety and anger go hand-in-hand, from what I've experienced and read about. I knew the two were related in my case when I started waking up mad at the world. Just first thing when I'd open my eyes for the day I'd have a racing heart, I'd be doing this weird twitch thing with my feet/toes as I'd think about what kind of bullshit I was in store for at work that morning, get out of bed and just at that shit alone I'd feel like maaannnn, fuck today and fuck the first person I come across, too, and probably everybody after that. Waking up anxious is nothing new to me, but I just started getting so tired of the feeling that it flat out would piss me off whenever it happened, and then that anger inevitably gets projected onto pretty much everything I come across on those days. Luckily the first fools I usually come across are my two cool-as-fuck dogs and a cat that pisses me off to no end on most days but, you know, that's my kitty, bro, rescued her myself and we just got that bond, you know? My pets keep me grounded as a mother fucker, is what I'm saying.

...You guys don't have to tell me, man, I already know my head's kind of fucked and I do everything I can to stay in control of that whole being-a-bitter-and-jaded-asshole thing.

[DOUBLE-POST AVOIDANCE EDIT:

Look THC is Psychedelic. Psychedelic means "mind-manifesting". Your mind is creating your problems. On the subconscious level there isn't much you can do but on a conscious level seek to study the buzz of the weed more than the introspection. Everyone likes to think weed is so introspective and shit but personally weed isn't very spiritual or introspective IMO. I personally find weed to simply increase the rate of thought production and the depth of a thought.

Basically I just think weed makes one over-think. Trust me i know all about what you're talking about. I have a friend who gets this on a very intense level and personally I don't think he should be smoking any weed cuz this kind of mind-bending feeling can lead people to anxiety and depression.

As the hippy guy was saying it sounds like your subconscious is dealing with a lot. So consciously make the job easier. I don't really know how to explain this but sort of reach a level of complacency while you're sober. If you know what i mean? Since weed is "psychedelic" the same "set & setting" rules apply. You wouldn't go taking psychs if you were anxious and stressed out.

I agree for the most part. I just want to say that "over-thinking" (I guess depending on how one defines the term) is absolutely indicative of anxiety (though it's no guarantee, admittedly). I don't know if you were trying to downplay the issue (which totally is in the mind, but that doesn't mean a person conjures it out of nowhere-- it's simply an issue that effects the mind) or not, I couldn't tell, I just felt the need to put that out there with all those cool-looking parenthetical notes and stuff. %)

"I personally find weed to simply increase the rate of thought production and the depth of a thought."

Spot fucking on. On the average person, marijuana helps amplify feelings that that person's currently experiencing-- mood swings don't typically come out of nowhere from marijuana unless there's some kind of relatively rare adverse reaction taking place.

Last edited:
Stop smoking for a while, look at your life, do you regret something, if so try and change it. If you become happier your high will be good. (talking for personal experience)

Not to continue veering off topic here but Jibult you literally just described my life completely. That's how it has been waking up pissed off about having to go to work and deal with the people I see every day, medicating myself just to get through it all so I don't go in there flip shit and lose the job etc etc. I also have two bad ass dogs and an annoying cat that I still love coincidentally...this does help immensely

I also would recommend a short break. The same drug could affect you in different ways throughout your life/lifestyle. I've had it happen before too where you just WAY over think everything after you smoke, it's not fun :( Take a little break and then start again slow with some good quality stuff. Just plan on being at home alone for the first time, low key, relaxing afternoon :) Then see how you feel from there?

I have the same problem sometimes. The worst is when I'm high and have to do the dishes for example, where my brain is free to think. As a solution I just do something that keeps my brain busy (games, drawing, writing, reading...). Or just smoke with your best friends and have a good laugh. :)

I used to experience this kind of inundation of thought whilst smoking cannabis. I quickly discovered that popping a few barbiturates or a lot of benzodiazepines about 1 hour prior to smoking the cannabis effectively eradicates the mental flood. I'm not about to waste my time educating you on the dangers of barbiturates or how to make 'em , however. Do your own research; it's more meaningful that way.

Not to continue veering off topic here but Jibult you literally just described my life completely. That's how it has been waking up pissed off about having to go to work and deal with the people I see every day, medicating myself just to get through it all so I don't go in there flip shit and lose the job etc etc. I also have two bad ass dogs and an annoying cat that I still love coincidentally...this does help immensely

twins, lmao

I used to experience this kind of inundation of thought whilst smoking cannabis. I quickly discovered that popping a few barbiturates or a lot of benzodiazepines about 1 hour prior to smoking the cannabis effectively eradicates the mental flood. I'm not about to waste my time educating you on the dangers of barbiturates or how to make 'em , however. Do your own research; it's more meaningful that way.

That stuff (GABAergic drugs) dulls the effect of the high for me, though. Sometimes it's almost like I can't get high after I've taken benzodiazepines.

To the OP: just take a break and revisit the drug later.

Similar thing here. I probably always had latent anxiety/depression type stuff just waiting to come out. I smoked and was fine/enjoyed it habitually for years until end of 2013 when I started getting bad trips from too frequent psychedelic (NBOMe) use triggering what I believe is GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), yet I kept smoking for the entirety of 2014 even with the anxiety and it never went away so I developed depression, and I've continued it to this point. If I could've predicted/known with certainty that frequent psychedelic use would've caused latent anxiety to become a permanent issue that would be exacerbated by marijuana, I would've never touched that fucking shit to begin with.