• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed induced seizure

Blackmoon

Greenlighter
So lastnight I ripped a bong at my friend's house like it was just another night, chilling with friends, then after I done this i was stood outside chatting to a friend. All of a sudden I felt insanely high, my vision sorta began to flash and my legs went jelly and I was on the floor for a moment with my friend asking me if I was okay. To me I can't really remember it at all but apparently my eyes were rolling and I was twitching for a moment and I came back around and asked him wtf happened. This is my first seizure, anyone else had this?

Not a seizure, but greening out, pulling a tighty whitey or some similar term. Extreme low blood pressure. It still happens to me once or twice a year and I'm medical, It happens when I switch strains or have something unusually strong.

If you're worried, then go to a doctor :) It is unnerving when it happens.

Tom

Had it been a while since you'd eaten or drank anything? Cannabis does lower blood pressure so as Thomas said, could be that.

I don't know if it's what caused it for you but I'm epileptic and one time I tried an edible I had never used and had three seizures in one day. I got a head injury and had to go to the hospital. I was on Gabapentin at the time too though and that can cause problems so it was never determined. I never had a problem other than that and I used it for a long time. Had to stop because I was getting bad tachycardia. I think different strains affect it though, and how much CBD is in it, cause I still use CBD for anxiety and for when I'm feeling twitchy from my epilepsy and it helps. Indica strains seem to treat me better, the edible I used was a hybrid and didn't have much CBD. Hope that never happens to you again though!

There is no way weed can cause seizures, but it can bring out predisposed mental issues. Your incident may have been from a lack of oxygen, or perhaps you got way too high and passed out while extremely intoxicated. If you feel fine now, chances are you will be okay. But if you have a similar event happen WITHOUT using cannabis then talk to a doctor. I recommend you take a 2 week break to see if it is the cannabis making you have issues or if it is coming from another source.

Sounds like they made you smoke K2 ive never heard or seen anyone seize from weed but definitely k2

Not a seizure, but greening out, pulling a tighty whitey or some similar term. Extreme low blood pressure. It still happens to me once or twice a year and I'm medical, It happens when I switch strains or have something unusually strong.

If you're worried, then go to a doctor :) It is unnerving when it happens.

Tom

No this was a seizure. the amnesia, eyes rolling, twitching. All typical of a tonic - clonic seizure.

It happens because THC binds to presynaptic neurons and inhibits release of neurotransmitters, including GABA. It wasn't from low blood pressure.

And yes, weed can cause seizures seizures. THC is a cannabinoid and from what I said above, it can cause seizures in some individuals. It's extremely rare, though.

^Unfortunately, she is spot on. Agonism of the CB1 receptor leads to a inhibition of GABAergic activity in specific areas of the brain.

Since GABA is generally inhibitory, "turning down the volume" of GABA leads to an "amplification of volume" of specific dopaminergic systems.

Opioid work in a similar way. I have heard a few stories about non epileptic people using synthetic cannabinoids, and getting "too high" from accidentally over dosing, while they were on an opioid (non-regular users of opioids seem to be especially susceptible to this "synergy") and instead of just feeling weird for a while they had a seizure.

^Except the ones that have strong kappa activity (such as oxycodone) , as they have powerful anticonvulsant activity by promoting potassium channel activity.

Synthetic cannabinoids can cause seizures without being on an opioid, and most people have seizures from them because they OD

^ Now that's fascinating. I am actually diagnosed as Bipolar, and take a mood stabilizer (ironically, lamotrigine) and have noticed that buprenorphine has a tendency to make me more manic than other opioids.

Perhaps this has to do with it's strong antagonism at KOR, potentially inhibiting potassium channel mediated transmissions.

Hmm this would make sense as Kappa agonist have been shown to be very effective for bipolar, and some potassium do activate t type calcium channels secondarily, such as Kir currents and GABA B and D2 receptors

This is really strange, I always thought cannabis acted as a prophylactic against seizures. That's all out the window now :(

OP, how has it gone so far? Did you discontinue using cannabis, and have you had any seizures since the first one?