• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

weed has got (alot) stronger. thoughts?

narcomick

Bluelighter
Weed haters are always talking about how todays weed is too strong conpared to what it used to be, so i recently looked into this and apparently the strains smoked back in the 60's actually contained no more than 4% THC, vs 15, 20 even 30% these days.. seriously check it out yourselves, almost all sites agree on this. Heres a quote from merryjane.com..

"Older folks often make a point to tell you that today's medical marijuana is much stronger than what they smoked back in the day—even bordering on psychedelic. Believe it or not, this has been verified multiple times over. It’s even prompted calls for government-imposed THC limits. The results may still surprise you, as scientists have uncovered more interesting facts about the recent history of cannabis and rise in potency.

It’s still difficult to determine the exact numbers behind the potency shift, since most of the cannabis industry’s activities have taken place underground. From what researchers can tell, the main psychoactive compound in cannabis, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), used to hang around 1 to 4 percent of total cannabinoid content in the 1970s. Now, the average is more like 13 percent, but in sophisticated markets like Colorado, Washington, and California, you can easily find flowers well above 30 percent THC potency."

Sites like livescience, herb and leafly all confirm these figures in similar articles.

Pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Quality>Quantity situation. Years of cultivation techniques and genetic breeding is naturally going to bring out those properties. I am sure in the 70's people smoked joint after joint after joint lol. Nowadays you can soar off of 1 milky bong rip:D

Salutations KneelB4Doom,

I am sure in the 70's people smoked joint after joint after joint...

Not exactly.

...still a striking argument on nation-wide French-speaking Canuck TV, on occasions:

Tou.TV: Marina Orsini - Saison 02 Épisode 26

« ...faut savoir que par rapport à '72 t'avais en général 1 % d'THC. Maintenant t'as toujours plus que 8 et y'a eu des saisies à 36 % d'THC. ... On va parler de l'autre effet qui est l'effet placébo... ...J'chus g'lé pis j'm'en sac'e... ... ...c'est moins addictif que l'alcool mais par contre y'a plus de goudron... »​

Another truth is that i can't care less: i was NOT consuming leaves at all, instead i was a hashish smoker...

Possibly 1 ~ 4 % THC was true of the leaves though don't we agree it didn't really matter to less-than-incidental cannabic consumers anyway!

Good day, have fun!! =D

Last edited:
narcomick - I am an older folk and I think the stuff that was sold to me as Acapulco or Columbian back in 1981/82 had as much of an effect on me as the stuff does now. What I was sold as Thai Stick in 85 - same thing, a highly energetic trip. ISO oil in 84 and hash periodically.

@ Kneelbeforedoom - never smoked joint after joint except for a Pink Floyd concert in 94 :) I do tend towards multiple bong rips in a short period of time now though.

Tom

I like both the super potent weed available now and mid quality (which is actually harder to get now.)

If I want to get high in a chill spot by myself or with others I smoke some dank, if I want to walk down the street smoking blunts I roll mids.

For the average person this really means nothing in fact it is a positive thing as they will need to smoke less. However for the true marijuana addict who knows what this means? The preponderance of strong wax,dabs,shatters whatever and smoking these high potency drugs everyday constantly is unknowable at the moment. We already know about marijuana hyperemsis syndrome in some people. Maybe there is no side effects? Maybe some kind of disease? who the fuck knows?

Weed is deified by a lot of society today because it was demonized by the government and powers that be for centuries...

It was more of a joke than anything else:) I do believe that the psychoactive compounds in cannabis have to be undoubtedly higher across the board than in the 70's. Not the 1-4% THC figure. Id guess super dank in the 70s was like low-mid teens? I have no experience in the time period or evidence for this guess haha.

Here in the U.K. The thc is between 2% & 6% which is really shit but if you grow your own well you can get it as strong as you like, there's many ways.

I think this is hard to notice if youve smoked most your life due to tolerance, but many who had no troble smoking in the 60's - 80's claim that most weed nowadays is simply too potent fot them.

Last edited:
and i live in the uk and i doubt thc is that low, its actually alot cheaper to get a 20% thc strain than a 5% if you're buying seeds, and personaly i find i need alot less than most to get very high, and regular smokers i know tell me the same, only heavy/veteran smokers are those i hear claim that "most stuff's shit these days" so i think its mostly down to tolerance, although its possible the weed was grown without enough light etc.

^It just depends on the strain/source really. The commercial grow op stuff which is grown for quantity/speed is pretty weak compared to well known high grade strains which are mostly grown locally and for quality above all else.

@ up up - it's the same kind of urban legend like when they say they add heroine; BS!
fact is, weed is way stronger nowadays, because the strains are getting more and more powerful, way more THC thand CBD for example.
no heroine, or other kinds of "shit", please.

Here in the U.K. The thc is between 2% & 6% which is really shit but if you grow your own well you can get it as strong as you like, there's many ways.

Plenty strong for me man. After a nice break a single bong rip gets me absolutely destroyed.

I wonder if genetic-modification methods (gmo) had a hand in this increase in potency? Seems a bit suspicious?

or is this just good old fashioned cross-breeding ?

My dad is an old smoker, he swears todays cannabis is stronger. I just like the concentrates, so yeah, definitely stronger. You need less.

strains being sold on the streets are waaaay stronger than back in a day

i usually need 1 hit only to get stoned for few hours

US offers true killers tho like 30% thc, NL is not a worlds capital of toking anymore

I wonder if genetic-modification methods (gmo) had a hand in this increase in potency? Seems a bit suspicious?

or is this just good old fashioned cross-breeding ?
I really doubt that sensi seeds or other breeders had the huge amount of money to actually do some genetical engineering. :)