• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed and Xanax

EphemeralOutlet141

Bluelight Crew
I'm just wondering what experiences you guys have because I had a really weird time with this combo.

I normally take Klonopin before I smoke due to the anxiety I usually get from weed, but my guy got into some trouble so I have to hit up a friend for Xanax. I've tried both and always favored Kpin, but I thought "oh well, not really a huge difference". I took 1mg a few minutes before I smoked with some friends and it did not help or make my high better. Like at all. If anything it actually made it worse. I was so far into my own head that I wasn't talking to anyone or moving or anything. I had an intense panic attack when we went out in public and demanded to be taken home.

I'm extremely confused, anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

No. But I don't smoke weed on benzos unless it's Valium as it is my preferred benzo for recreation.

I used to smoke weed on Xanax and then eventually KO and teleport till I eventually reach home. No fun there.

But maybe you shouldn't smoke weed if you're going through these struggles for the buzz. These kinda problems are never worth it IMO. I never get panic attacks or extreme anxiety on anxiolytic drugs. The "in your head thing" is common for me on potent benzos and high doses of weed when I'm around people idk.

Take your set & setting into consideration as well.

Xanax..... caused a panic attack?

Strange.

Paradoxical effect. Definitely not normal, but not necessarily cause for alarm.

Sounds to me like the symptoms Xanax caused in you are the very same symptoms the drug treats in me, so, like I said, strange.

Xanax..... caused a panic attack?

Strange.

Paradoxical effect. Definitely not normal, but not necessarily cause for alarm.

That's exactly what I said lol. I only blame Xanax for this situation because I've never had this intense of anxiety with smoking weed before. Usually I get in my head and paranoid a little which I can deal with, but this was just something else. I've read that a paradoxical effect is possible, I guess in my head it happens when combined with pot. Either that or I didn't take enough?

I know a lot of people get bad anxiety on cannabis but there is no way xanax made u have panic attack it does the exact opposite.

I know a lot of people get bad anxiety on cannabis but there is no way xanax made u have panic attack it does the exact opposite.

Actually, there is a way it could happen-- it's just really fuckin' rare. My money's with the drug combination acting as a catalyst, not a cause, to the OP's anxiety episode.

[EDIT: For those interested in a bit more information (not by much, just a little more than I'd care to type out here) on paradoxical effects from benzodiazepines: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/489358_4

It's also wise to keep in mind that some drugs might start doing some unusual shit to you once you start taking them in combination with other drugs.]

Last edited:
Actually, there is a way it could happen-- it's just really fuckin' rare. My money's with the drug combination acting as a catalyst, not a cause, to the OP's anxiety episode.

[EDIT: For those interested in a bit more information (not by much, just a little more than I'd care to type out here) on paradoxical effects from benzodiazepines: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/489358_4

It's also wise to keep in mind that some drugs might start doing some unusual shit to you once you start taking them in combination with other drugs.]

this

Side effects from xanax is actually anxiety and panic attacks, believe it or not, but usually in the days following use not during medication.

I think a lot of people give themselves anxiety when they feel zombified and have trouble moving around because they are so high. It is easy to trigger panic responses and then panic leads to more panic because you are high and confused. If you react to the feeling of being high in a panicky way, it's like the body starts preparing to try and fight off the high- which is impossible so it turns into full blown panic attacks. Perceived enemy with no outlet or visible threat...can't run or fight but the body wants to. IME at least.

this

Side effects from xanax is actually anxiety and panic attacks, believe it or not, but usually in the days following use not during medication.

I think a lot of people give themselves anxiety when they feel zombified and have trouble moving around because they are so high. It is easy to trigger panic responses and then panic leads to more panic because you are high and confused. If you react to the feeling of being high in a panicky way, it's like the body starts preparing to try and fight off the high- which is impossible so it turns into full blown panic attacks. Perceived enemy with no outlet or visible threat...can't run or fight but the body wants to. IME at least.

This makes a lot of sense. I always say I'm gonna relax and be cool but I seem to forget that as soon as I start smoking...

I just wish my kpin guy was still around x(

Speaking from personal experience, if you are trying to get away from traumatic events in the past(meaning they still haunt you in your head) getting fucked up will only stir up the past. It doesn't always feel like it, but I realized that I am in more control of my thoughts when I am high. It is the whole pink elephant metaphor- telling yourself not to think about a pink elephant only makes it worse. In order for me to really move on I have to focus on what is in front of me, that is where i'm going. When I get fucked up sometimes I start back down a path I don't want to go but it's hard to stop, if that makes any sense.

Maybe stay away from the weed for a while? Also if you smoked the weed and ate the alprazolam at roughly the same time the weed is going to effect you first. I would wait for the alprazolam to be at peak concentrations before having any weed if you really want to go down that path.

What's your benzo tolerance like? If you have been having clonazepam regularly you may need to stay away from the benzos for a while to achieve the same anxiolyitic effects. And yes benzos can definitely make anxiety worse especially if you have been taking regular high doses of clonazepam.