• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed and anxiety/depression +psychosis

mooder

Greenlighter
Hi,

I started smoking late 16. I am 22 now and greatly reduced my consumption 1 year and half ago. Until I was late 19 / early 20 (around the time I started university), I began to fell my experience on weed less enjoyable. I decided to stop until the winter was over but starting again with the good weather didn't help for long. I don't enjoy smoking when it is too late in the day. The only way I can enjoy weed now is to combine it with my activities (like hiking, canoeing, etc.)
If I watch a movie or simply stay still (gaming on the computer, reading, etc.), my anxiety comes back with existential questioning that I cannot solve (death).
My mood seems to stabilize once I've stopped smoking for 2-3 days but I still have more anxiety episode than normally. If I quit smoking for several weeks, I am rarely anxious (it does happen).

Before I was not afraid of height (acrophobia). Last semester I gradually began to have vertigo when looking down the floor at my school as it has large open spaces and you can see the floor 30-40m under you (glass everywhere).

I began to be afraid of the metro - silly - I imagined myself jumping and killing myself! I was very stressed out with my grades as I had to be competitive and now with summer this fear is greatly reduced. I seriously thought I was becoming slowly crazy. These fears were going out of hand, thankfully my stress level went down with my irrational fears.

These two fears might be psychosis but the last one is clearly a psychosis episode. A bit funny too.

Last year, I was partying with my two best friends. We were drunk and after the clubs closed we smoked (mostly me I must say). As we were walking, I was so thirsty that I suggested we should go talk to a bunch of people inside their house ( they had the window open). The guy we spoke to offered us Perrier and even invited us to his place! He was quite rich and much older than us (30). I was talking to a girl, yet I was too drunk and high to even know what the hell I told her but I remember that suddenly I stopped talking to her and began to think they were vampire... Yes... Vampire... I was trying to convince myself vampire DID NOT exist but couldn't stop finding evidences they were (like how the hell are we here)?
I slightly turned around and told my best friend we had to go because they were vampire. He said he just ignored me at first but I was being very insistent. Plus I had to pee, I wasn't going to risk to be murdered in their bathroom so I decided to leave. I was CONVINCED they were vampire! I must say I never watch twilight or anything about vampire.

At that time I really thought I was schizophrenic but it never occurred again (beside the two fears above) and now it seems that things got better. I wonder if weed is responsibly or only partly responsible. I've read weed would just make schizophrenia appears but wouldn't cause it.
Feel free to share your experience. Weed is a very nice drug when it is used occasionally. Having to smoke to get fun isn't fun.

Hello!

Upon reading this post, I have to comment on two things:

1. Are you taking any medications to help with your mental health issues? You might not see them as mental health issues, but being paranoid about 'vampires', being anxious, the suicidal ideations, the long existential questioning? If not I would strongly suggest you go and see your General Practitioner. There are medications out there that can help, and although it might take a while, finding the right drug, it definitely helps in the long run, trust me!
2. Also, from my perspective I do not think that you have Schizophrenia. It could be drug-induced psychosis. Marijuana use in people with mental health issues is not advised. Although I do have a mental health problem, I am cautious with how much weed I smoke, and how much alcohol I ingest. But you as a person need to know your limits. If you think that is was psychosis, my advice would be to lay off marijuana altogether.

Hope this helps,
R.