Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

We Love Cricket Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kid

Bluelighter
First test of an intriguing summer of cricket starts tomorrow. I think England may batter the Windies, which will lead to false hope ahead of the Ashes.

Any other cricket fans out there? (apart from eDDe).

I like me cricket Kid, so does B9 and a few others. But don't expect the thread to grow too much. ;)

Hey, thanks for the post SHM!!! I expect this thread just to be for the special few who like the gentlemans game. :)

On your travels i noticed you mentioned a certain South Coast town....you ever go to Saffrons to watch county games?

I always go to the games in my town (international and provincial). Timed my move to the UK so I could watch all of NZ-England before I left. Haven't been to any games here other than one one-dayer; considering watching Surrey seeing as I live so close to the Oval, but haven't yet.

I promise to post lots if you guys will, though, I don't know a huge amount about England or the West Indies, other than the obvious. Should be a good couple of series, though. Ashes could end up being quite even (hopefully).

I like some NZ cricket....followed NZ v Pakistan when we were there travelling. Always liked Vettori and Cairns. That Southee looks like one for the future, plus Jesse Ryder looks like he has potential to be a proper drinking legend!!!

The Oval is a good ground to go to. I'm going to the Ashes there later in the summer. :)

Hey, thanks for the post SHM!!! I expect this thread just to be for the special few who like the gentlemans game. :)

On your travels i noticed you mentioned a certain South Coast town....you ever go to Saffrons to watch county games?

Yes, used to go every festival week in August where the sound of leather on willow was usually obliterated by the Eastbourne air show, conveniently held at the same time. Always supported Sussex since the days of Langridge and Snow ( I was six, you weren't even a twinkle in your mothers eye) due to idolising my older brother and he supported Sussex - we're from Bedfordshire (hello Edde!).

We're shite this year...relegation looms. :(

My interest in Sussex started when Imran Khan was there, so defo a bit after you!

However i've always been more of a Yorkshire supporter due to family reasons.

I've not been to a county game for a long long time......county week was fun at the Saffrons.

I like some NZ cricket....followed NZ v Pakistan when we were there travelling. Always liked Vettori and Cairns. That Southee looks like one for the future, plus Jesse Ryder looks like he has potential to be a proper drinking legend!!!

The Oval is a good ground to go to. I'm going to the Ashes there later in the summer. :)

Nice :). There were some tickets floating round work, but at £175/day I couldn't really justify it without being either English or Aussie.

Hopefully Ryder has given up on his drinking; he's done enough in the past to last him his whole career. (Pleased to see him doing well; I spotted him years ago in a provincial match and thought he could have a big career).

^ I'm a member of the Barmy Army, so get guaranteed tickets. :)

(And at about £50 a pop)

ireland got to the last world cup and even won a game and made it to the next one also but the interest would be very small,not many people play it just people working here from england,aus nz india and pakitstan and persons from this island who mite like glasgow rangers fc...................

Subscribes.

We do have a test match thread, but this is better for my gloating after each win :D

Did I tell you results of my debut game?

Takes a while to join the Barmy Army?

Me and my dad were going to go to the last West Indies tour in Feb, but couldn't join the BA in time.

I'm a Gloucestershire fan because I played for them under 16s, but was brought up an Essex fan with my dad always singing "My name's Ronnie o Rarny, you might think I'm barmy, but I bat number 4 for Essex, ESSEX. When I walk down the street, all the people I meet, say hey big boy what's your name!? And I say, my name's Ronnie o Rarny...."
Don't know if that's his name but sounds like it.

*Tucks fob watch into waistcoat pocket and narrowly avoids spilling his gin as he slips into the members stand*

Looks like an interesting Ashes ahead. Which ever team's bowlers find form first will decide the outcome. Lee, Stuart Clarke and Flintoff all to start with next to no practice behind them. The Aussies not having a spinner has to be a concern, they can't rely on part timers like Clarke or Hussey.

Warne is still on the money in the IPL, and would still torment the Poms even at 40 (which says a lot about England's batting). :\

Anyone watching the IPL? It's on at a good hour on tele here but I can't really connect with manufactured teams. It seems more like a superannuation junket for mind.

Did I tell you results of my debut game?

No, but i'm guessing you might be about to......;)

Takes a while to join the Barmy Army?

Me and my dad were going to go to the last West Indies tour in Feb, but couldn't join the BA in time.

I'm a Gloucestershire fan because I played for them under 16s, but was brought up an Essex fan with my dad always singing "My name's Ronnie o Rarny, you might think I'm barmy, but I bat number 4 for Essex, ESSEX. When I walk down the street, all the people I meet, say hey big boy what's your name!? And I say, my name's Ronnie o Rarny...."
Don't know if that's his name but sounds like it.

Irani is his name.

You can join the Barmy Army very quickly, so not sure why you had a hold up.

*Tucks fob watch into waistcoat pocket and narrowly avoids spilling his gin as he slips into the members stand*

Looks like an interesting Ashes ahead. Which ever team's bowlers find form first will decide the outcome. Lee, Stuart Clarke and Flintoff all to start with next to no practice behind them. The Aussies not having a spinner has to be a concern, they can't rely on part timers like Clarke or Hussey.

Warne is still on the money in the IPL, and would still torment the Poms even at 40 (which says a lot about England's batting). :\

Anyone watching the IPL? It's on at a good hour on tele here but I can't really connect with manufactured teams. It seems more like a superannuation junket for mind.

England bowlers will need lots of cloud cover to get the bowl swinging. Spin could be very important. Also reverse swing could be very important, and the English bowlers will have a lot more experience with the non-Kookabarra (i can't remember the name).

Unfortunately I don't think England possess enough bowling quality against the Aussies. Daisy and Stuart Broad will need to bowl out of their skins, and i don't think they will do.

IPL on Setanta here, so no-one can watch IPL! Saw some in Dubai last year, and was quite interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Irani is the one, was a lil nipper when I last heard it.

My debut game: No one wanted to open the bowling on our debut game so I stepped up to the plate. Not played league cricket for 3 years and decided to throw myself in the deep end.
Also, now I'm over 18 I can bowl 8 overs in one spell, instead of 6 overs split into 2 spells.

My stats - 8 overs, 3 maidens, 1 wicket for only 13 runs.
Batting: went in as number 8 and got 3, not out.

We only had 9 players against 11 and we batted first, getting 169 in 37 overs (we play 40 over innings). We bowled them all out for 98 in 33 overs.

Old Bristolians 1 - 0 Midsummer Norton.
They even chose to stay down this season, they were supposed to be promoted but were worried their team would fall apart with people going off to uni.. which it clearly did.

I think the Aussies have learnt their lesson from last visit. The have a tall Tasmanian bowler (Hillfinhuas) who swings it at pace that they have been grooming for the last 12 months. They essentially looked for another Terry Alderman.

More of a concern to the Poms is Mitchell Johnson who started to move it both ways in South Africa. Left handed express paceman going in and out? Upstaged Styen in his own backyard, bit of a chance he could burn out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.