• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

water quality for creating solution for purpose of liquid dosing

red22

Bluelighter
I'd like to use iodine-treated water to ensure that there will be no bacterial degradation of the chemical being infused in the water (2C-B). What's the appropriate amt. to use? Articles that speak of using iodine for emergency water sanitzing use, like, between 3 and 8 drops per liter. And I'm concerned about causing some kind of reaction. I wouldn't wanna convert my 2C-B to 2C-I! :D

I have a sanitizer called BTF iodophor, which is some kind of ethanolic iodine detergent or something. Perhaps instead of adding regular iodine -- which I also have -- I should simply sanitize my vial by letting it soak in an iodophor solution for 30 min. and then simply not rinse the vial out, leaving a significant amt. of iodine residue in the bottle.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Purify-Water-Using-Iodine-Tincture

GepgvId.jpg

Also, the best size vial I have was originally filled with frankincense essential oil. I washed the vial to the best of my ability and soaked it in petroleum ether but it still has the pungent aroma of frankincense. Would all this frankincense residue present a problem? I've heard that essential oils have remarkable antibacterial properties, so funnily enough maybe just filling up this vial with my drug solution will be my best bet. Is there any reason to believe that this frankincense residue would react with the 2C-B?

Last edited:
I very much doubt that you need to worry about bacteria consuming your 2CB, if anything the Iodine will do more damage to it.

What about that aromatic residue I described in my last post? Remember, I soaked the vial in pet. ether, so the vast majority of the residue is gone. Smells very pungent though (frankincense aroma).

It'll be fiiiiiiine :p if anything the residue oil will just coat the inside of the vial, doubt it will mix extensively with the water, and even if it does it probably isn't reactive.

Though you can get a fresh clean vial on ebay for cheaps.

:)

Should I use a few drops of vinegar as well?

I really like the idea of iodine and I'd like a sense as to how much would create some kind of reaction. The amts. described in the first post are probably very lite.

Going off of an emergency dissolvable iodine pellet product, the resultant water would contain about 1,000 mcg of iodine per 8 oz. glass. By comparison, the RDA of iodine is 150 mcg.* This means that if I were to use measurements that mirrored the pellet product, each dose of 2C-B would contain only a small amt. of iodine, like below 1 mcg.

*Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001. Retrieved from http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional

Last edited:
Iodine has a tendency to react with e.g. aromatic compounds.

I would just use a bacteriostatic amount of alcohol (benzyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol etc) or some other preservative that doesn't react. Parabens maybe.

I have good experience with using ethanol for 2C-E solutions. even regular vodka will work just fine.

is there anything wrong w/ water? and do we really think that creating quasi-bacteriostatic water by using a lite iodine infusion will cause some kind of reaction to occur?

Also, the best size vial I have was originally filled with frankincense essential oil. I washed the vial to the best of my ability and soaked it in petroleum ether but it still has the pungent aroma of frankincense.

soaking in vinegar might work. I'm gonna try that.

I would just use a bacteriostatic amount of alcohol (benzyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol etc) or some other preservative that doesn't react. Parabens maybe.

Exactly, that is what I use: benzyl alcohol mostly for things that may be injected since ethyl alcohol needs to be about 20% vol. or more while 0.9% is good for benzyl alcohol, and ethyl alcohol can do damage at significant amounts.

While I like people looking for viable alternatives, if it makes things overly complicated or worse.. it isn't really worth it anymore.

Highly dilute iodine shouldn't be too reactive, I'm just paranoid :)

Distilled water with benzyl alohol is still ooking like the best choice.

What's nice about iodine is it's more dynamic a sanitizer than alcohols. Read up on its sanitizing abilities here: http://ehs.research.uiowa.edu/826-iodine-and-iodophors

Compare to alcohols: http://ehs.research.uiowa.edu/821-alcohols

And I really don't trust the concentration spoken of in my above post, so what would you say is the most iodine one could add to a drug solution w/o creating a reaction?

And can water be sanitized by baking it in the oven at 400 degrees? If so, for how long? I don't want to boil it on the stove because I don't really want to use anything other than Pyrex glass to hold the water I'd use.

Last edited:
:)

Should I use a few drops of vinegar as well?

I really like the idea of iodine and I'd like a sense as to how much would create some kind of reaction. The amts. described in the first post are probably very lite.

Going off of an emergency dissolvable iodine pellet product, the resultant water would contain about 1,000 mcg of iodine per 8 oz. glass. By comparison, the RDA of iodine is 150 mcg.* This means that if I were to use measurements that mirrored the pellet product, each dose of 2C-B would contain only a small amt. of iodine, like below 1 mcg.

*Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001. Retrieved from http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional

A short answer to your question: Putting a small amount of iodine in is fine, if you put in 100mcg of iodine the max amount of 2C-B that could possibly react is 100mcg of 2C-B.

In depth: About your question about whether the iodine could react, yes it could react. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophilic_halogenation#Scope
This is the most likely compound it will form:
1-(2%2C5-dimethoxy-4-bromo-6-iodophenyl)-2-aminoethane.png

However it doesn't matter if iodination occurs at the other spot or even occurs twice at both spots as you will see below:

Assuming it does form this compound with even 100% yield as you'll be keeping that reaction in the container for a long time, then by doing some simple mole calculations we can tell that every unit mass of iodine you add in, roughly 1 unit mass of 2C-B will react to form the compound above. That is to say that if you added 1mcg of iodine in the solution, roughly 1mcg of 2C-B will react.
So if you are using say 1mcg iodine per 10mg 2C-B, then 0.01% of the 2C-B will react, essentially a negligible amount. Besides, the new compound formed is probably active in its own right.

Maths here if you are worried/interested:
Molar equation is 2cb + iodine -> 2cbi + hydroiodic acid (this should be formed in very small amounts as well so I wouldn't worry about this either)
So assume you put 1mg of iodine into the solution. Iodine moles is 1*10e-3/127*2 = 3.937*10e-6. So that will be the amount of 2cb which reacts as well. So mass of 2cb is 3.937*10e-6*260.13=1.024mg, pretty much a 1:1 ratio. Molecular mass of 2cb got from wikipedia.

Last edited:
And can water be sanitized by baking it in the oven at 400 degrees? If so, for how long? I don't want to boil it on the stove because I don't really want to use anything other than Pyrex glass to hold the water I'd use.

If you "bake" water at 400F it will just boil inside the oven. Is there a particular reason you can't use a stainless steel pot on the stove like most people would use?

There are more advanced methods of sterilizing water (pasteurization, autoclaving, reverse osmosis) but because water is a pure compound, I believe the gold standard for biology usage is double distilled water. For household usage, water boiled for 15 minutes and left covered to cool is sterile enough for, say, home mycology experiments, or preparation of slaine to irrigate eyes or ears.

Thanks for that informative post, aced126.

Is there a particular reason you can't use a stainless steel pot on the stove like most people would use?

Cuz all my pots are worn.

Any idea on how much iodine would rival the .9% of benzyl alcohol Solipsis mentioned? As a guage, 1 mg of iodine dissolved in 50 ml of water would result in 20 mcg of iodine per milliliter..

Maybe this is something to go by: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21983301

Last edited: