Wasting police time (in the UK)

Sixty Miles

Ex-Bluelighter
My friend has been calling the police and has been telling them that he has seen someone (matching his description) weilding a knife in public. He them waits for the police to arrive and search him.

Will he get into trouble for wasting police time? I suspect he has a mental illness.

It would probably fall under some provision such as "submitting a false report."

He eventually will likely get charged and/or sectioned if he keeps it up.

I have no idea. Have you tried talking to his family about your concerns? If he can get some kind of help in a voluntary context it would almost surely be better than being charged or sectioned.

Why do you think he does this? He says that he just wants the experience of being treated like a criminal and that this gives him pleasure. He intentionally resists the searches and has been sprayed with CS gas once.

The why is really beyond the scope of this forum. Hopefully there can be some kind of humane intervention before it becomes a safety or legal problem for him, and the only way I can think of for that to happen would be to get his family somehow involved to help him through this.