• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Was this time dilation? Has anyone else experienced this?

iodo

Bluelighter
A few days ago I took 1.5 tabs of 25b-NBOMe, tabs which I had already done previously. I have a decent amount of experience with psychs, but in lower doses than most people seem to take. I realize the negative consequences with NBOMe's and I have taken them anyway.

After about 5 hours after dosing, I started getting very spaced out, and couldn't seem to concentrate on conversations. But this is when things got weird. Time would slow down, and a sentence that actually took 2 seconds to say would be perceived in slow-motion (slo-mo deep voices, a fly would hang in mid-air)and would take maybe 10 seconds. And right as I realized everything was in slow motion, time would speed up, really quickly, as if to catch back up with itself. This happened for maybe an hour and was extremely overwhelming and frightening.

The only other time this has happened was on 2 grams of shrooms, but it only happened for about 10 minutes. Music slowed down to almost a halt, until I realized it was slowed down, only for it to "play" in fast-forward to catch up with itself.

My question is, was this considered time dilation? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

The flow of time is never constant. It seems to me a person can slow down time when thinking more rapidly than usual. This occurs naturally when placed in danger or when seeing something extraordinary.

I would say that, yes, it was time dilation. Also, good post pmoseman, I concur fully. I remember one time when I was riding my bike down a grassy hill trying to cut out a switchback, and I hit a hidden hole and flipped forward and started falling headfirst toward some really coarse gravel (with like 1-2 inch thick, jagged chunks of rock), a good 10 feet down. It was as if time all but stopped, and I had this calm place to think of my best course of action as I fell, barely perceptibly, inch by inch. I determined that I needed to throw my body weight around, life my head and neck, and arch my leg, so I would land on my side in the least critical spot of my body. I executed the commands and felt my body beginning to move, in slow motion, inch by inch. Then when I was sure it would happen in time, things started moving normally again and I crashed into the ground on my side as planned. I had to have stitches and I still have the scars, but it was a lot better than my head or neck. This was sober by the way. The perception of time is fluid.

Only when I use the Mass Relays without a Mass Effect element on board my space ship. Dinosaurs are cool.

joking aside, time itself isn't even a stable construct, its affected by mass and gravity, and so I think that also everyones perception of it is different and malleable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's a really good point, mass actually bends spacetime (hence gravity), so even in terms of science, time is malleable and relative. In fact they have to set the clocks slightly faster on satellites because time moves slightly slower out there. True story. Isn't the universe amazing?

yes it's a time dilation or time distortion.
when stoned the passage of time is no longer reliably detectible - we can usually tell because moments of sensation and thought arise and pass away quickly (~1/15th of a second) but as we get more and more stoned, the moments of sensation and thought fade much more slowly.
everything becomes very layered.
time could as easily seem to stop or run backwards then jump ahead.

sure happens, it's only our perception of time, like when you're doing something fun time seems to fly and when you're bored it's like the clock doesn't move. it happens a lot with weed too. all the time when i'm high i always go like 'awww man we're here for like what 3 hours?' and it's like half an hour only. there was also this time when i was *especially* absurdly high that a 100m walk that should last like what 1-2 minutes felt like it lasted forever, i wouldn't say hours... but i had thought all about the universe twice and hadn't still reached where i wanted to go.

I believe the technical term for what you experienced is - "tripping face." Just enjoy it when you get strong effects like that - after all, you asked for it by putting the drug in your mouth.
I'm perplexed by the number of users who come to PD in bluelight and ask "what the heck happened to me?!" Then go on to describe canonical, paradigmatic psychedelic effects as if it wasn't exactly what they were inviting when they decided to ingest potent psychedelic chemicals.

Last edited:
I believe the technical term for what you experienced is - "tripping face." Just enjoy it when you get strong effects like that - after all, you asked for it by putting the drug in your mouth.
I'm perplexed by the number of users who come to PD in bluelight and ask "what the heck happened to me?!" Then go on to describe canonical, paradigmatic psychedelic effects as if it wasn't exactly what they were inviting when they decided to ingest potent psychedelic chemicals.

I believe that a lot of people (not directed at you, iodo) don't actually really understand what they're getting into, and that's why. Like their friend tells them it's crazy man, you'll see shit and it feels awesome, or they read a bunch of other cliches, and think, yeah, I want to collapse into a puddle of craziness and seeing shit, I smoke weed already, it'll just be more intense. And then they experience a real psychedelic and they were absolutely not ready for it, they were trying to have a few giggles and saw behind the curtain and have no idea what to make of it or possibly even didn't want that sort of experience.

Thank you all for your responses, but I'm not sure if I got the answer I was looking for. As I said, transitionsynth, I know what chemical I took, I knew the risks involved, and I don't consider myself a novice when it comes to psychedelics. I simply enjoy lower doses, so I'm not accustom to the (what I consider to be negative) effects of higher doses i.e. ego-deaths, mind-bending revelations, hours of insane laughter, or as you so well put it, "tripping face".

Although it was my perception of time that was skewed, I feel as though I am not talking about typical time dilation. I've experienced what 'feels' like an eternity in a minute, through drugs or boredom, and what 'feels' like half an hour but is really an afternoon.

But this was a lot more specific. Imagine a ball, rolling from left to right in my field of vision. In a usual situation, the ball moves 5 feet from left to right, 1 foot per second, taking 5 seconds for it to enter and exit my view. Now my general thinking of time dilation would be that while in reality it takes 5 seconds for it to move, I perceive it as 10 seconds, simply slowing the time that it takes for the event to happen. HOWEVER, when I was experiencing this, the ball would take 4 seconds to move one foot, and then the last second, it would move the last 4 feet, as if in fast-forward, almost jumping to catch up with real time.

This is the best way I can explain what was happening, even though it isn't the best example. It was very uncomfortable to see this happen, I was confused and couldn't understand conversations, because everything was slowed down or sped up. If anyone else has experienced this, does this happen regularly with higher doses?

I'd call it SEVERE time dilation, but time dilation nonetheless...sounds pretty cool though.

Yeah, I was hoping there'd be someone who's experienced it, or at least a term for it. But I guess it would just be time distortion/dilation.. 8)

But this was a lot more specific. Imagine a ball, rolling from left to right in my field of vision. In a usual situation, the ball moves 5 feet from left to right, 1 foot per second, taking 5 seconds for it to enter and exit my view. Now my general thinking of time dilation would be that while in reality it takes 5 seconds for it to move, I perceive it as 10 seconds, simply slowing the time that it takes for the event to happen. HOWEVER, when I was experiencing this, the ball would take 4 seconds to move one foot, and then the last second, it would move the last 4 feet, as if in fast-forward, almost jumping to catch up with real time.

This is the best way I can explain what was happening, even though it isn't the best example. It was very uncomfortable to see this happen, I was confused and couldn't understand conversations, because everything was slowed down or sped up. If anyone else has experienced this, does this happen regularly with higher doses?
Yes. I have extensive experience with 25B-, 25C-, and 25I-NBOMe and I noticed a very similar effect at high doses. In fact, the way you described it was almost uncannily similar to my high dose NBOMe trips. It seems to be specific to the series... maybe a combination of their side effects and the sharp dose-response curve. The one effect that I relate the most to is by far the confusion you mentioned. I noticed that all NBOMe chemicals will cause a very disorienting combination of strange time distortion (as you described) and an amnesia-like confusion at high doses. Granted, my experience with other psychedelics is limited, so I can't say for sure if this limited to NBOMe. However, compared to high doses of LSD, it does feel much more toxic and disorienting. I've experienced this effect on 1.8mg+ doses of 25I-NBOMe, 1.4mg+ doses of 25B-NBOMe, and 1.2mg+ doses of 25C-NBOMe.

A few days ago I took 1.5 tabs of 25b-NBOMe, tabs which I had already done previously. I have a decent amount of experience with psychs, but in lower doses than most people seem to take. I realize the negative consequences with NBOMe's and I have taken them anyway.

After about 5 hours after dosing, I started getting very spaced out, and couldn't seem to concentrate on conversations. But this is when things got weird. Time would slow down, and a sentence that actually took 2 seconds to say would be perceived in slow-motion (slo-mo deep voices, a fly would hang in mid-air)and would take maybe 10 seconds. And right as I realized everything was in slow motion, time would speed up, really quickly, as if to catch back up with itself. This happened for maybe an hour and was extremely overwhelming and frightening.

The only other time this has happened was on 2 grams of shrooms, but it only happened for about 10 minutes. Music slowed down to almost a halt, until I realized it was slowed down, only for it to "play" in fast-forward to catch up with itself.

My question is, was this considered time dilation? Has anyone else experienced something like this?
One thing I noticed is that you didn't have a specific miligram dosage for the 25B, and 1.5 tabs could have been a very high dose, especially as a lot of high dose tabs of 25B have been floating around lately (1-1.2mg range). I found an optimal dose of 25B to be around 750ug/0.75mg, and 1.5 tabs could have far surpassed this, depending on the dosage on the blotter. Combine that with the extreme side effects of NBOMe chemicals at high doses, and you could get some seriously negative reactions. In fact, my most intense trip EVER has easily been on 2.5mg of 25I-NBOMe (no tolerance). I experienced insanely complex visuals, vasoconstriction, ego loss, a strong time distortion effect as you mentioned, along with EXTREME confusion and anxiety bordering on psychosis. Luckily, my friend had taken a lower dose than me and was able to prevent me from doing anything stupid.

This is not to say NBOMe chemicals are totally bad, though. At lower doses (<1mg for 25B) they are very enjoyable with minimal side effects. Like an LSD trip with less mindfuck and a strong body high. However, once you cross a certain threshold, they become a completely different beast. I'd recommend taking lower doses in the future.

Last edited:
The way you describe though it sounds like it might just be a complete hallucination.

I would say that, yes, it was time dilation. Also, good post pmoseman, I concur fully. I remember one time when I was riding my bike down a grassy hill trying to cut out a switchback, and I hit a hidden hole and flipped forward and started falling headfirst toward some really coarse gravel (with like 1-2 inch thick, jagged chunks of rock), a good 10 feet down. It was as if time all but stopped, and I had this calm place to think of my best course of action as I fell, barely perceptibly, inch by inch. I determined that I needed to throw my body weight around, life my head and neck, and arch my leg, so I would land on my side in the least critical spot of my body. I executed the commands and felt my body beginning to move, in slow motion, inch by inch. Then when I was sure it would happen in time, things started moving normally again and I crashed into the ground on my side as planned. I had to have stitches and I still have the scars, but it was a lot better than my head or neck. This was sober by the way. The perception of time is fluid.

Interesting, I once fell from my bike as well, hit the ground, and received the bike on my head (didn't see it coming), but the time between the moment I hit the ground and the moment I received the bike on the head seemed abnormally long.

The only time I felt time dilation (I think that it was) was while tripping hard on weed (yeah unusual I know, I was physically exhausted and had one beer beforehand), when I stood up from my bed to go the dining room table. The trip to get there seemed like an eternity (there were only 2-3 meters), my body felt like it was weighting tons, and when I sat down, I was feeling like I was mid-state between still walking and being sitted. Kind of like if my position in time was dilated, spread, like if I was at a different points in time at the same time. Kinda hard to explain. :)