Mental Health Was just prescribed a medication to help with Benzos/anxiety and am concerned

kilgorepilgrim

Greenlighter
New here, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've been on benzos for about 6 years for anxiety attacks. At the moment I'm at .5 Klonopin and 2-to-4x .5 Xanax daily as needed. My doctor thinks that at this point the benzos are only making the anxiety worse and wants to wean me off, and I don't disagree. He prescribed me 3x 200 mg gabapentin to help me taper off the benzos and start cutting down on klonopin and xanax. Obviously for a period of time I will be on all three at the same time at various points in the day. I asked him about dangers of CNS depression (dying in my sleep) and he assured me that Gabapentin will not interact with the benzos enough to cause something like that. However, I have been doing research and it seems there is a legitimate danger, and I can't shake the concern. I just took my first dose of 200mg Gabapentin and I can certainly feel the drowsiness and high effects.

tl;dr just took 200mg gabapentin 9 hours after taking .5 xanax. Missed my daily klonopin this morning but will need one tomorrow. Should I be concerned?

From what you described, and from my layman's knowledge, it doesn't appear that you're in any danger. Some anxiety creeping up may be partly to blame for being scared by such a thing.