• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Warning About Seroquel (Quetiapine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Amine

Bluelighter
I'm here again, this time to warn about Seroquel (Quietiapine). This last week has been pure hell, like a Twilight Zone episode. To wit:

Last Saturday, I visited a friend. Told her of me and my fiances' sleep problems. She gave me a load of 300mg seroquels, probably a dozen or so. I was most grateful, even tho I hate this shit, its better than chronic insomnia. That is, until Sunday morning. I was fine, aside from the HORRID drymouth and munchies. My fiance, however, was NOT fine. She was.... how can I put it... had a full reality break with paranoid delusions. Talking all kinds of crazy shit for FOUR DAYS. She talked like her dead grandma. She thought she was in the show "Mad Men", working as an advertising consultant. She accused me of spending all her money, she flushed her meds down the drain thinking they were implants out to get her, she tried to smoke a pen thinking it was a cigarette, tried to operate the Wii with a notepad, the list goes on, Finally, on Thursday, she was mostly quiet, and talked none of the nonsense of the past few days. She seems okay now. I ruled out seizure, stroke, aneurism, or me being the one who was psychotic.

I dont know if anyone has seen anything like this before. She has taken Seroquel before, hell, she was on 600mg/day for a year before she got off of it (due to massive weight gain). This is the first time with ANY drug that I would physically restrain someone (her) from taking again if it came to that. My question is this: does anyone know wtf happened? I was thinking serotonin syndrome, but even that doesnt explain this. I swear another few days of that and I would have had to commit her. Far scarier than an OD.

Damn. Sounds like a pretty harrowing experience. I've never personally heard of that happening.. I was prescribed seroquel in detox because it was the only thing that would make me sleep.. so I was really grateful for it. Those seem to be some very high doses she was taking though..

I would like to hear feedback on this as well since I am normally an advocator of Seroquel for sleep and killing unwanted drug effects (in the right situations and with proper research first of course)

It seems here that Seroquel somehow caused psychosis instead of stopping it. How can this be?
Also sounds like she gave you Seroquels which might imply she didnt take any herself as a result?
This would make sense in causing pre exisiting psychosis to manifest.
Can you clarify?

I am a big fan of seroquel as a sleep aid. A dose of 25mg - 100mg is a good dose for insomnia. 600mg is the recommend dose for schizophrenia. I would want to know more about her pre existing conditions. 100mg of seroquel puts me out for 9+ hours guaranteed!!!

if you don't suffer from any form of psychosis seoquel can actually cause psychosis

I would like to hear feedback on this as well since I am normally an advocator of Seroquel for sleep and killing unwanted drug effects (in the right situations and with proper research first of course)

It seems here that Seroquel somehow caused psychosis instead of stopping it. How can this be?
Also sounds like she gave you Seroquels which might imply she didnt take any herself as a result?
This would make sense in causing pre exisiting psychosis to manifest.
Can you clarify?

The girl I got the Seroquel from, lets call her D, takes 300mg of her 600mg dose for sleep, so she has LOADS of the stuff around. D gave me, KA, about a dozen of them. I split one 300 with my fiance, lets call her S. I realize that 25mg is the lowest dose available, so 150mg was a high starting dose, even tho a year ago she was on 600mg/day. I remember the first time I took it, someone split a 400mg with me, and it effed me up big time, but only for about 12 hours, not 96+ like it did S this time. She has some conditions, but did not mix the Seroquel with ANYTHING, not even an ibuprofen. She had been a bit depressed, having just spent 11 weeks in the hospital for a VRE infection.

I do my research, looked up these things on pillid.com or some such site, and they were 300mg seroquel and not something else, so I also ruled out bad pills. Actually, come to think of it, she took a gabapentin that night as well (also from D, also verified on pillid.com).

I guess she just happened to be in that <1% of subjects that experiences a paradoxical reaction to Seroquel, sort of the same way with me a pot. I cant smoke it anymore because it either puts me to sleep almost instantly (cheap brick weed) or sends me into an almost LSD type state (good stuff). I havent had a "normal" experience with weed in over a decade - i guess im hypersensitive to it???

if you don't suffer from any form of psychosis seoquel can actually cause psychosis

this seems to be the case here. any literature to back up your claim? Id UTFSE but Id really like to get some sleep right about now. tia~~

Release of too much Dopamine seems to be a trigger for psychotic episodes.
Seroquel causes the release of Dopamine.
But this is just a guess.

Last edited:
I had a vaguely similar experience with the stuff a few years back. I took 25 or 50 mg to sleep, and spent the next two days hypomanic. Hell, I cooked over a gallon of some really good pasta sauce, biked at night with no blinker / front reflector (came within a few hundred milliseconds of getting T-boned by a car making a left turn and didn't care), etc, etc. Fast forward a year, and I'm diagnosed with bipolar - II. I'm guessing the stuff depressed my dopamine enough for my body to overcompensate and send me hypomanic. Just a wild guess, but something similar may be happening here.

Actually it does just the opposite. Antagonizing the dopamine receptors briefly could trigger psychosis when the drug wears off, just a theory.

OP, for what reason was she put on 600mg of seroquel before?

Actually it does just the opposite. Antagonizing the dopamine receptors briefly could trigger psychosis when the drug wears off, just a theory.

OP, for what reason was she put on 600mg of seroquel before?

I honestly dont know, all I know is that she kicked it cold turkey over a year ago due to the massive weight gain. 600mg is WAY more than what's needed for sleep.

Thanks OP for the detailed response. Seems like a weird abbe ration occurred here that is not the norm.
While Seroquel can be extremely useful I think people should do some serious research and perhaps small dose tests before using as this is a good example where facts say there shouldn't be a problem but an issue manifested nonetheless at no fault of the affected person.

Yes and as per above to confirm 100%, Seroquel reduces or modulates Dopamine, not increases it and thus shouldnt be able to cause psychosis in theory.

I still think that the brain can overcompensate for the reduction and cause paradoxical effects once the drug has worn off.

ah I was going to post but just seen this reply which is 100% correct!!! everybody's different. there's no way for doctors to
know just what's going on with you and the perfect medications with the proper doses. i've been on seroquel and well quite a few other "mental" meds for many years. u just have to give them time. start out slow. sort of find the level yourself but now if i took any medication that made me act thataway well i'd toss those. if a medicine isn't making your life more manageable in some way then you don't need it.

she took to much. Plus drugs affect everyone differently I can't stress this enough. I take 100 mg a night for insomnia and it works like a charm. I have a full sleep cycle with good dreams and wake up feeling rested. I gave a friend A QUARTER of one of my pills (25 mg) and he couldn't wake up for 20 hours, and felt like he was dead the next day.

she took to much. Plus drugs affect everyone differently I can't stress this enough. I take 100 mg a night for insomnia and it works like a charm. I have a full sleep cycle with good dreams and wake up feeling rested. I gave a friend A QUARTER of one of my pills (25 mg) and he couldn't wake up for 20 hours, and felt like he was dead the next day.

Yeah i turned out to need at least 300mg for good sleep wereas others need only 50mg like you say.
Once you know your Seroquel dose and reaction is can be one of the most useful and safest no addiction/tolerance drugs for sleep and ending other drugs or bad trips. I dont go anywhere or do any drugs without knowing I have it as backup plan.

IMO mirtazapine is a whole lot better and safer (?) sleep aid than seroquel. High doses of seroquel shouldn't be used just for sleeping, it's a rather hardcore drug.

Some things can't be explained. I did not tolerate that drug well either. I was paranoid as hell, but my bad trip was nothing compared to this.

Glad to here she is feeling better atm,
ChrisAlt

Once you know your Seroquel dose and reaction is can be one of the most useful and safest no addiction/tolerance drugs for sleep and ending other drugs or bad trips. I dont go anywhere or do any drugs without knowing I have it as backup plan.

I would disagree on the tolerance / addiction thing. I was on it for about 2 years for insomnia, during which my dose went from 25 mg to 800 mg. Towards the end I realized that it wasn't helping at all any more and tapered off. Like probably all sleeping pills, it does have rebound insomnia if you stop taking it after a while, whatever the dose.

I would disagree on the tolerance / addiction thing. I was on it for about 2 years for insomnia, during which my dose went from 25 mg to 800 mg. Towards the end I realized that it wasn't helping at all any more and tapered off. Like probably all sleeping pills, it does have rebound insomnia if you stop taking it after a while, whatever the dose.

800mg's? That's a shit ton of Seroquel. Being on any medication that long pretty much requires a taper.

Quetiapine actually antagonizes dopamine receptors D1, D2, D3, and D4 receptors indirectly through antagonism of serotonin receptors 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A, 5-HT2C, and 5-HT7 IIRC...hence why it is used as an anti-psychotic. While this probably has something to do with it's sedative effects, it's is also a very potent H1 antagonist, as well as an α1-adrenergic and α2-adrenergic antagonist.

Status
Not open for further replies.