• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Wanting to Detox - Not Sure of the Best Route

oops_IFU

Greenlighter
Hello all! This is my first post here on Bluelight. I've been a lurker for several years now, never really having the need to make an account or anything until now. I've played Russian roulette with opiates off and on for the past 5 years. For the first half of that 5 year span of spotty use, I got away quite lucky without ever developing dependence and decided it would be best to stay away from them and was clean for almost 2 years. Unfortunately - due to a series of horrible events including the death of a good friend, the death of my father about a month later, and a downward spiral at work that ended in me being unemployed for a bit - the insane amount of stress I was under had me picking back up my old habits.

At this point, I've found myself insufflating 45mg of oxy per day minimum to keep withdrawals at bay. 60mg if I want a slight buzz and a cozy nod. Now like I said before, I got lucky the first time around since my habit wasn't a daily thing, and I've never actually experienced full-blown withdrawal. The worst of it was several months ago when I realized that I was dependent. I decided that I didn't feel like taking one that day and by the time I was winding down to go to bed, RLS, hot/cold flashes, and the sweats decided that they were going to rear their ugly heads. I promptly called someone to fix the problem and then went to sleep a bit later.

I want to, no, need to get off of this crap before it destroys me. I'm running out of money to afford my habit and that money needs to pay for my college. I can't just watch myself do this anymore.

I will be the first to admit, I am a huge baby when it comes to feeling like that. I know there is pretty much zero chance of me being able to get through withdrawals without being in some sort of hellish agony one way or another. I am just hoping that there is an answer to making it much more tolerable, and that I can actually get my hands on what I need to do just that. Please, please help me.

45-60mg's is not that much at all, I would not think cold turkey would be that bad. Take a 40 or 60 and cut it in quarters and take one every six hours, that's only 15mg's per six hours and that amount is really nothing, a dentist will prescribe 5/325mg's every six hours for a few days for an extracted tooth.

45-60mg's is not that much at all, I would not think cold turkey would be that bad. Take a 40 or 60 and cut it in quarters and take one every six hours, that's only 15mg's per six hours and that amount is really nothing, a dentist will prescribe 5/325mg's every six hours for a few days for an extracted tooth.
You could probably go CT and withdrawals wouldn't be too terrible. I found benzos, especially Etizolam due to its cheapness and legality/availability, to be extremely helpful during withdrawals as they allowed me to actually sleep through some of it, and the insomnia I find to be one of the worst parts of withdrawals.

Hey there, sorry for the extremely delayed response. Life's been catching up to me. I'm going to be trying to kick starting tomorrow, just took my last one (hopefully) about an hour ago. I thought for sure I was still doing quite a bit. I did start a taper about a month ago from a 120-150mg/day habit. Was hoping to have brought it down to 15mgs a day at least before trying to CT, but it's good to know that in the grand scheme of things it's not that much.

shadowstryker-

That is my biggest enemy as well, along with the RLS that just makes the insomnia worse IMO. It's just a slap in the face to be exhausted and unable to sleep, and then having your legs and/or arms sapping the last of your much-needed energy that you can't replenish. The only things available to me like that are Xanax (definitely) and Klonopin (maybe). Which of those two would you say is more beneficial for the process? Also, is there anything OTC you would recommend? I've got some Immodium (I've heard high doses can help with withdrawal symptoms outside of the GI issues they're meant to combat, do you know if there's any truth to that?) and Valerian root. I've also heard some talk about kava and kratom, any knowledge on those?

Thanks!

I really don't want to downplay your suffering, but if you continue using to run from 40mg oxy withdrawals or use subs, done, lope, or benzos to detox and wind up developing an addiction to one of those, then you'll really have a problem worth posting over. I'm not being a dick, I promise -- it's just that I've been where you are and I kept using because I couldn't be bothered with two or three days of bad sleep and uncomfortable temperature fluctuations. Now, here I am two years later and I've effectively destroyed my life banging hundreds of dollars of dope every day just to feel normal.

If you never take advice from another person as long as you live, take mine now because your life could very well depend on it. This is a potential turning point for you and potentially the most important decision you'll make. Go to the local urgent care and confess to the doctor you've become dependent on pain meds and that the withdrawal symptoms are unpleasant. He will give you a non narcotic blood pressure med called clonidine that will ameliorate the temperature fluctuations and inability to sleep. Take a pill every six hours and maybe two before bed if you really want to ensure a good 10 hour sleep. In 4 days tops you'll wake up back to your old self. Immediately enroll in social sports or start catching up with old friends, something, anything to stay happy and busy and avoid relapse. Let me know if you have any other questions but it's really as simple as just stepping up to the plate and stopping this bullshit once and for all. The clonidine will make it virtually painless, I promise.

To reiterate, don't mess with high dose Imodium or kratom, as they both work to reduce withdrawal by stimulating your opiate receptors same as the oxy and will merely prolong your suffering while possibly not even reducing its intensity. As for the Xanax and Kpin, they'll both help, probably the Kpin more as it has a much longer half life. That said, they're both incredibly habit forming and certainly not worth the risk considering your low level dependency at this point. In terms of producing sleep/relaxation and reducing overall wd symptoms, clonidine is more effective than both and cheaper, more readily available. As for the kava, Valerian, they're okay but again, entirely unnecessary with clonidine. Hell, even doxylamine succinate, brand name Unisom sleeping pills, would be more effective than that herbal shit. But yeah, let's not get sidetracked here -- step one stop doing that shit, step two, go to urgent care and get clonidine if you're afraid the unpleasant symptoms, however minor at this point, could drive you to resume use.

Last edited:
You really aren't coming off as a dick. The amount of time I've spent lurking on these forums, I've seen plenty of people with addictions that I can't even wrap my head around. And I know that those people are having a seriously fucked up time trying to kick. Like I said, I'm not afraid to admit I'm a huge baby about this sort of thing. My biggest fear with going to urgent care or any other doctor is the chance of them flagging my medical file for narcotic pain killers if something should happen in the future. (Being 23, I've got plenty of old decrepit years ahead of me where I'm sure I'll need this stuff for what it's meant for - medication.) Hence the reason I am shying away from anything I would have to get prescribed.

I've started my detox today. Took my last one last night around 8/9pm to get one more full night's sleep before this ordeal. Took the day off work, don't have school until Wednesday and I'm hoping the worst of it will be over by then. I'm unfortunately alone right now which is really eating at me. If it comes down to it and I've decided to give up, I will go to urgent care over my guy. I just hope that I don't need to do either.

if things get too bad you can always go to the ER. Clonidine might be helpful for you. i'd stay away from benzos , stay strong - you can do this!

Clonidine will help take the edge off but it never did anything for my opiate induced insomnia. If you can do it CT then obviously that's the best route but if it becomes difficult I had used lopermide(immodium) and it damn near took all my wds away(also used somas or sleep). I am prescribed 40-60mgs of oxy a day and I jumped off of them using 20 mgs(10 in morning 10 at night) of lope on day 1 and tapered by reducing dose by 4mgs a day. I was pretty shocked it worked as well as it did and if I had known about it when I was a heroin addict it would have saved me numerous trips to the detox. After saying that if you do go this route don't take mega doses because that's when problems can occur and there is no need for extreme amounts.Also make sure to do a steady taper unless you want to be hooked on diaherria meds(it would be embarrassing to say the least).

Good luck buddy you can beat this shit!!!!

One thing I never see mentioned for wds that helped me so much is good old cannabis. Helps with the nausea, pain, chills, and depression.

Good luck!

You really aren't coming off as a dick. The amount of time I've spent lurking on these forums, I've seen plenty of people with addictions that I can't even wrap my head around. And I know that those people are having a seriously fucked up time trying to kick. Like I said, I'm not afraid to admit I'm a huge baby about this sort of thing. My biggest fear with going to urgent care or any other doctor is the chance of them flagging my medical file for narcotic pain killers if something should happen in the future. (Being 23, I've got plenty of old decrepit years ahead of me where I'm sure I'll need this stuff for what it's meant for - medication.) Hence the reason I am shying away from anything I would have to get prescribed.

I've started my detox today. Took my last one last night around 8/9pm to get one more full night's sleep before this ordeal. Took the day off work, don't have school until Wednesday and I'm hoping the worst of it will be over by then. I'm unfortunately alone right now which is really eating at me. If it comes down to it and I've decided to give up, I will go to urgent care over my guy. I just hope that I don't need to do either.

Being flagged as a drug seeker is a valid concern. Fortunately, I've got a plan B med you can obtain without any such confession. Go to the local urgent care, tell them you've been having issues with RLS and that you tried some gabapentin from a friend and that 600mg really helped you sleep normally and not be restless. Take 1200mg twice a day as long as you're noticing wd symptoms and it will fully ameliorate them, while 2500-3500mg will actually get you high very similar to alcohol but without the loss of coordination, nausea, and hangover. This med is non scheduled and very easy to obtain. It's also my personal favorite withdrawal cure; even better than suboxone in my experience because it doesn't prolong the experience whatsoever, it simply masks the physical symptoms while lifting your mood enough to actually enjoy taking to people on Facebook and such during withdrawal (normally in wd the thought of interacting with people or even watching TV seems pointless and annoying).