• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Wanted: Therapy from a Stranger

Creg

Greenlighter
Hello Bluelight,

I have used this website much in the past when I wanted drug safety info, lately I have become quite interested in reading about substances I have never touched, but today for whatever reason I feel compelled to spill all my worries to you guys and girls. If you would be interested please read ahead.

I am a 21 year old American boy who first started exploring drugs when I smoked weed at 14. Then I tried some hydrocodone and then lsd, shrooms, adderall, cocaine, ketamine, and my favorite, mdma by 16. The drug use was always very responsible, the sort of thing that me and my friends would get into every few weekends depending on what we could get our hands on. Although, that ended for the most part by the time I was 18, partially because it didn't seem worth it to go through the hassle of finding and buying it and partially because I realized the things I played around with before (weed, lsd, shrooms) primarily put me into an panicked state for a couple hours. While I let go of all of that, I developed a joy for kratom during quarantine and found myself drinking most weekends since I've entered college.

Kratom started out as a once every couple of days thing, that went on for about 2 years, then for the past year I used every single day until I took a month long break in June. The reason I took the break was primarily because the kratom gave me puffy nipples (gynecomastia) which is a horrible thing to think about as much as I do and a sign that my hormones are way off. But another reason is because I've seen myself become more and more unhappy, reclusive, hopeless, and whatever else over the past few years and I wanted to see if the kratom had anything to do with it. The month long break started off with about 4 days of feeling bad physically (not as bad as the flu, but still not great), then once that ended I felt normal except I was missing one of my favorite things to do everyday.

For a while, it has felt like I am doing everything just because I need to. I'm not particularly jazzed about my schoolwork, my part-time jobs are quite boring. I expect everyone to feel pretty close on those things too, but what gets me is how I view even the things I "like". Now, I don't feel like I'm having much fun from hanging out with friends, playing video games, exercising, gardening, or most of the other things I do for enjoyment. Idk what's up with me, I can generally get myself to do all these things, but the joy is more rare than I would hope for. I think the main problem is that I am not a very social person, but that is also the result of me not feeling very happy day to day, both cause and effect.

It really makes me wonder how much kratom plays into all of this. I think back to before I ever used it and before it became any sort of crutch and I still felt the dread I'm describing, but it's entirely possible that using it has prevented me from finding better coping strategies to my daily problems. I started taking it again at the beginning of July and it happy at work instead of completely miserable. It also makes the time off of work better too. Most importantly, it gives me something to look forward to every day. I think that is very valuable since I'm living at my parents house for summer break. My parents and siblings are great people, but for some reason I feel like I can't be myself around them, something I started to feel once I was about 12 that never went away. For that reason, I am only comfortable staying in my room when I am home. to deal with this I talk to friends on discord while playing games or go on a bike ride during the day, and I go to the gym with a buddy of mine most days.

It feels like a struggle to make it through this summer, but I'm running on the hope for how things will be once I move into a house with my friends on August. Kratom is a band-aid to help me get through this summer that I hope to get off of around the time I move in. I'm really riding out this move-in, but if I think about it, Idk what it will really do. Obviously it will be nice being comfortable in the place I live, but I will still be me. The me who will avoid talking to coworkers and friends, the me who wishes he could sleep through a week, the me who wishes he could skip out on family vacations. I don't have anything better to do, but it hurts to be unhappy with people in a situation where everyone is supposed to have a good time.

I have much more life to live so by some point (maybe in 2 years, probably in 5, definitely in 10) everything I think about now will replace with something new, probably something more positive. But despite recognizing this, my feelings are telling me that the rest of my life will be a long road of discontent. It makes me want to say fuck it. I am not close to low enough to end my life or anything, and even if I was I wouldn't because I don't want to affect the people who know me. Instead I fantasize about either riding my bike across America (which sounds lonely, but atleast I won't be around anyone I know) or getting all strung out on meth. That's why I'm on this forum so often. It's fascinating to read the stories of meth users and I think about how awesome I would feel for a while. I am not going to do meth because I know it ends with either 1. quitting while you're ahead, leaving you with a disappointment that life can't be how you felt on it, 2. quitting after reaching the bottom, leaving you with a big mess and an inability to experience much happiness (atleast for a while), or 3. it completely eviscerates your soul and you become, at best, a person too far out to really be a part of society, or at worst, a desperate vagrant who dissolves all morals to get another hit. Even though I feel like I'm too fucked up in some way to be a part of society, if I actually had the realization that everyone I know lost respect for me and sees me as merely a tweaker, I would never escape that self hatred.

I probably just need a girlfriend tbh haha, but I wonder what good would come from going on some sort of antidepressant. I've held off since I should go awhile without kratom before adding anything to the mix and because if I want to talk to a professional I would need to open up to my parents (because of their insurance), which I can't bear to do. I just need to find the version of myself that I can be proud of, the kind who can have fun with friends and family, at parties or bars, the kind who can comfortably do the things everyone else does and be happy with it. I just don't know if I can find the person with who I am right now. In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep doing the things I have to. Imma start to play around with adderall here and there, which can be dangerous, but I'm not too worried since I did it before without any problems and if I find myself reliant in any way I'll just replace it with kratom because I've seen I can enjoy that without messing too much up. I also think it could be genuinely helpful if I did some molly with my friends and unleashed all the worries I've been holding onto. It seems like once every couple of weeks I get so pent up that all I want to do it cry, but I can't even if I sit there and try for 45 minutes. Expression is such an important aspect of mental health (and linguistically I wonder what the connection between EXpression and DEpression is) that I find such a hard time to do.

Anyways, this turned into a rambling that I hope is understandable (I don't feel like reading it over jajaja). I find with writing that I start light and as I get deeper into my problems I get more and more dark/dramatic (most of the time I'm not as depressed as I may come off here but I'm getting moody now I guess). I'm sure many have felt like me and I would love to hear what anyone has to say about all this whether they sympathize, empathize, or think I have my head in my ass.

Hugs and Kisses,
Creg

Um lots to unpack there. Honestly pretty normal issues for a your person. That thing you mentioned about not being able to be yourself around your family, that was me too.

So my brain chemistry was goofy until about 28. Drugs didn't help but honestly I was so unhappy in my teens , I feel like it didn't hurt anything either.

It's just about finding yourself. Your honesty not alone, a lot of us , ever people you'd never expect are experiencing these types of issues. You did the right thing, you're talking about it.

The fact that you are able to self diagnose and identify some key issues tells me you are way ahead of most of the class. So many of my friends just party and drink their lives away , but can't seem to understand why they feel bad often.

Don't do the meth thing , I promise it's not going to fix your problem.
Just stay the course, stay healthy, force yourself to be more outgoing. Even if it's cringe. Walling yourself off from people feels nice , I know, I'm the king of dropping off the radar. But honest to God it will make your anxiety much worse to overcome.

Life is about new experiences meeting people living your life to the fullest. One step at a time. I have to force myself to be social sometimes. But once you build a little bit of confidence you becomes so much easier to just come out of your shell. I'm in the Bahamas right now. Me 15 years ago couldn't even leave my room.

I don't drink anymore I don't use drugs anymore I don't take anything for pain or anxiety except for a little CBD sometimes a little Delta 8.

Your issue could be genetic, it could be chemical, it could be that you just need to live sober a little bit longer and let your brain get back to baseline functionality without narcotics.

When I quit using drugs there was about 3 years that I didn't feel comfortable yet. And everyday I would think you know why am I doing this why am I punishing myself. But it was just something that I wanted to do I wanted to see if I could be happy without drugs. Low and behold here I am 7 years later life is a f****** box of chocolates and all that man.

You just got to keep trying and eventually everything falls into place it's f****** wacky man. Feel free to PM me I never talk to anybody on this site directly but I'm not opposed to it either

Um lots to unpack there. Honestly pretty normal issues for a your person. That thing you mentioned about not being able to be yourself around your family, that was me too.

So my brain chemistry was goofy until about 28. Drugs didn't help but honestly I was so unhappy in my teens , I feel like it didn't hurt anything either.

It's just about finding yourself. Your honesty not alone, a lot of us , ever people you'd never expect are experiencing these types of issues. You did the right thing, you're talking about it.

The fact that you are able to self diagnose and identify some key issues tells me you are way ahead of most of the class. So many of my friends just party and drink their lives away , but can't seem to understand why they feel bad often.

Don't do the meth thing , I promise it's not going to fix your problem.
Just stay the course, stay healthy, force yourself to be more outgoing. Even if it's cringe. Walling yourself off from people feels nice , I know, I'm the king of dropping off the radar. But honest to God it will make your anxiety much worse to overcome.

Life is about new experiences meeting people living your life to the fullest. One step at a time. I have to force myself to be social sometimes. But once you build a little bit of confidence you becomes so much easier to just come out of your shell. I'm in the Bahamas right now. Me 15 years ago couldn't even leave my room.

I don't drink anymore I don't use drugs anymore I don't take anything for pain or anxiety except for a little CBD sometimes a little Delta 8.

Your issue could be genetic, it could be chemical, it could be that you just need to live sober a little bit longer and let your brain get back to baseline functionality without narcotics.

When I quit using drugs there was about 3 years that I didn't feel comfortable yet. And everyday I would think you know why am I doing this why am I punishing myself. But it was just something that I wanted to do I wanted to see if I could be happy without drugs. Low and behold here I am 7 years later life is a f****** box of chocolates and all that man.

You just got to keep trying and eventually everything falls into place it's f****** wacky man. Feel free to PM me I never talk to anybody on this site directly but I'm not opposed to it either
Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it.

Yeah I feel like I'm aware of most of the aspects of myself I need to work on. It feels like a curse because I have so much fuel to power my negative thoughts, but ultimately I hope it's a good thing that leads me to the man I want to become. It is just so difficult to will myself in doing those things I should do, mainly just being outgoing with both family and new people. I strongly resonate with that thought you mentioned about "why am I punishing myself". That's what I feel when I try to go awhile without drinking or kratom. For that, it's easy to reason that it's for a greater good. But with socializing, I try, then I ask why am I putting myself into these situations I don't like, then the reasoning isn't so clear.

I'm learning from what others that socializing is a skill that you need to keep working on, just like anything else. It just seems like I'm doing more harm than good to my self-esteem when I try to put myself out there by going to parties or whatever. It makes me closer to accepting that I should be a person to be left alone. But I shouldn't feed those thoughts because I barely know who I am, and once I figure it out I'll be a whole different person.

I feel like I'm stuck acting a way around someone once we get acquainted. I don't know if that is common or unique. That's why it is especially hard around my family. My dad is a very funny guy, my humor is a bit more out there than his but I still joke around. Yet, for some reason I never ever joke with him and the few jokes he makes with me, do not create any sort of reaction. Those same jokes would make me laugh if anyone else told them, idk it seems like there is some serious mental block there.

These are the random little things I lament about. I think a change in scenery of my life would be good. Expressing this sort of stuff is nice, it doesn't always help the issue, but it certainly feels like some sort of relief. Again, I loved reading your 10 cents and value that you responded to such a post. I would write in a journal in times of sadness then read them off to a therapist, the few times I went. It was the same sort of vibe honestly, but I got it for free from my a job a quit a few months ago. So I might come back here or other places online to cast my worries into the wind.

Xs and Os,
Creg

linguistically I wonder what the connection between EXpression and DEpression is) that I find such a hard time to do
now you got it stuck in my head. thanks
i have more to contribute but now is not the time.
all my best

you sound like you may be suffering from anhedonia
its possible that it is related to the kratom but I don’t know for sure I don’t know too much about krataom despite using it

Anhedonia refers to the loss of ability to feel pleasure and is a common symptom of depressive disorders and substance use disorder.
You can try 5to as a natural antidepressant and l-theanine

The Essential Rule​

The rule is: never, ever take a serotonin-boosting nootropic if you’re already taking antidepressants such as the neurotransmitter “reuptake inhibitors” SSRIs and SNRIs; monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) which are often prescribed for social anxiety disorder; or St John’s wort or lithium.

if you go the rx route my advice is to start with Wellbutrin, then an Ssri then Effexor
wellbutrin it is an antidepressant with no discontinuation symptoms
ssri’s like Zoloft, Prozac, lexapro and Paxil if they don’t help and you wanted off you may have serotonin discontinuation syndrome. Keep in mind not everyone gets serotonin discontinuation syndrome but if you are in the pool of people who do it is unpleasant and lasts a roughly a month. —not opiate level withdrawals —but very weird brain zaps and flashes and emotional ups and downs. Not a problem if it works and you want to stay on it forever.

wellbutrin on the other hand can be stopped at any time no withdrawals mechanism of action is the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine and I always use it as the go to for depression and lack of interest in activities it can make anxiety worse as treatment continues but often it has already done the job to raise me out of my depression and I can stop it

Effexor a SNRI the mechanism of action is inhibiting reuptake of both serotonin and norepinephrine, The withdrawal is brutal-.last resort imo I’ve never taken it but a friend was hospitalized bc the withdrawals were so severe she had an abnormal ekg and thought she was having a heart attack

nicknamed side effexor which for me says all I need to know

🌤️been suggested that atypical, dopaminergic antidepressants may act on such aberrant reward processing and be better suited to treat anhedonia

Which antidepressants increase dopamine levels?

🌻. Bupropion is unique among antidepressants as an inhibitor of dopamine reuptake, leading to increased dopamine levels in the synapse.
Which antidepressants increase dopamine levels?

🌞Important Notes. Bupropion is unique among antidepressants as an inhibitor of dopamine reuptake, leading to increased dopamine levels in the synapse.
☀️Which antidepressants increase dopamine levels?
🧡Important Notes. Bupropion is unique among antidepressants as an inhibitor of dopamine reuptake, leading to increased dopamine levels in the synapse.

natural dopamine boosters

Curcumin/Tumeric - always take w/black pepper or it is not bioavailable
It’s thought to have antidepressant effects, as it increases the release of dopamine

Ginkgo biloba
Some studies have found that supplementing with Ginkgo biloba in the long term increased dopamine levels in rats, which helped improve cognitive function, memory and motivation

Oregano oil —put a drop of the oil under your tongue
Another study in mice found that oregano extract supplements inhibited the deterioration of dopamine and induced positive behavioral effects
Thank you for all the advise. I have a hunch that Wellbutrin would improve a lot for my mindset, but I won't know until I try it. Although, I doubt I will go to a psychiatrist for the next few years and maybe I won't need to by the time I'm able to. I am also assuming you meant 5htp when you typed 5to. I took that for a few weeks a long time ago. I bought it to help recuperate after taking mdma and when I felt like I was depressed I gave it a shot. It mostly made me tired earlier in the night, presumably because all the extra serotonin it provided eventually converted to melatonin.

Lots of love,
Creg

i experienced a lot of the discontent and not feeling like i could be myself around my family. i just quit coming around my family a whole lot for a couple years, now i have a great relationship with my dads side of the family but i still dont see my moms side as much because i still feel like i cant be myself.

distancing from family can be hard, i didnt initially do it for my own health i was just doing drugs and in a shitty relationship and felt isolated now that its been a couple years (ive been sober for at least a year i didnt really keep track) its a lot easier to be around my family but i moved 3 1/2 hours away so i still only see them once a month maybe.

as for the discontent in general life, it could be many things. depression is usually the one doctors pick bc its quick and easy to diagnose, but if you do see a doctor dont be afraid to disagree with their diagnosis and ask for more. i never had a good time with ssri but thats not the case for everyone, if you get on medication and dont like it SAY SOMETHING i was on lexapro for 4 years before i said something and i hated it (i was like 12 when i was put on it and didnt know there were other options)

i would try finding a new hobby to replace the kratom, i know you said its something you look forward to but a drug is a drug nonetheless and an addiction is an addiction. i recently took up crocheting but have tried so many things. its a good thing you recognize that certain drugs are best left alone but even still if sober is possible it is best! i dabble in mushrooms from time to time and if you take them in small doses they definitely give a bit of a mood boost and a slight body high so maybe try replacing it with mushrooms?

another thing is if you are able try getting a pet(assuming you like animals), it gives you a responsibility to upkeep and replaces that time but also gives you something to look forward to. my dog truly saved my life. if that’s not possible look into volunteering at a local shelter, the shelter in my hometown would let you take dogs outside to play or you could go in a room with the cats and cuddle/play. if cats and dogs aren’t your thing you could always go for reptiles which are lower maintenance and easier to take care of with a busy schedule.

BEST WISHES🫶🏻