• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

want to get switched from oxys to mj for pain,wifes against it

namnoc16

Bluelighter
I live in a state that legalized medical mj a few years ago and finally opened a dispensary and would very much like to switch over from my oxys(prescribed) to pot. Anyway my wife is against it. I don't know if shes misinformed or what but it boggles my mind. I'm an ex-heroin addict and I tried telling her the meds I'm on now are pretty much the samething(she has to keep them locked up from me). Is there still such a misconception on pot that people think it's more dangerous then opiates(just because doc prescribes them they aren't safe). Besides that my tolerance for the pain meds have grown and I fear my dose will continually have to be increased. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can educate my wife on benefits of mj over opiates for pain?Also my doctor is in the same boat as her.How can a medical professional think oxys are safer then weed? I'm stumped!

Best way I guess is to make her do some/show her some research. Show her various credible articles, documentaries, whatever that can inform her and hopefully have her see things differently.

Show her that oxycodone is literally one molecule different from heroin.........however I seriously doubt MMJ will work for pain strong enough to require oxycodone...........what is your condition if you dont mind me asking?? Im a chronic pain paitent and a huge proponent of MMJ...........I find its best used to keep the opiate use to a minnimum, induce hunger, help with sleeping and help with irritability that comes with opiates. However everyone is different if the pot works for you go for it man

I have herniated disc, torn disc,and degenerative disc disease. I must say though, after awhile oxys do very little,also on soma.I take 4-6 10mg oxys and 3 soma 350 mg daily. Also smoke on the side and feel nothing takes pain away it seems mj dulls it more then other drugs. I was 6 years clean when I started pain meds and they started me on vicodins 5mg,then 7.5,then 10, next oxy 5's 3x a day ,and so on and so forth until now doc is talking bumping me upto 15's. Also had trigger point injections,faucet injections, and epidural and I won't let them stick another needle in my back.

Just some words of encouragement for the switch. My uncle is disabled and i believe its almost the same exact thing you have. I know he has some disc issues and they will get worse not better, he has been on oxycodone for decades and he hates them. Hates them to the point where hes was prescribed 5 a day and took 1 for YEARS. He would always talk about how he hated them and how he "had to get them out of the house because of his son" He would have the extras destroyed and always wanted off of them.

Enter medical marijuana. He use to spend 1000s a month on pills and and now he doesnt take them anymore. He absolutely loves medical marijuana but he cant afford it so now hes in pain and buys extract when he can but he is off of the oxys which he is very happy about. He is a legit pain patient to the point where he must have destroyed 10s of thousands of pills because he didnt want them, he wanted relief. He is the reason my family is for medical marijuana his quality of life has increased so much. Insurance doesnt cover ti so he pays out the ass, unlike the oxys, but he would rather pay a lot and be in pain when he cant afford it then take the pills. It will work provided you are like my 63 year old uncle lol.

Try showing them Project CBD, it's objective information on the benefits of cannabis. You can also find federally funded research on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Otherwise, just tell them to suck it up, it's not their pain. In most states with mmj the "recommending" doctor (there's no prescriptions) doesn't need to be your regular doctor, you could see anybody and pay a minimal cash charge for the visit (depending on your state).

Thank you guys for advice, Felonious Monk I think you are right and I'm gonna make an appt. with a doctor righ now.As for my doctor and my wife ,Fuck 'em (though I believe you put it more politely).

I support your above comment^ but like streetpharmacist said I don't believe weed can kill the pain as effectively as opies can. I would suggest having them both and wanning off the opies slowly as cutting it off quick might not be the best for you.

I support your above comment^ but like streetpharmacist said I don't believe weed can kill the pain as effectively as opies can. I would suggest having them both and wanning off the opies slowly as cutting it off quick might not be the best for you.

Oh no doubt I'll wean ,as I stated above I was once addicted to heroin among other opiates then got sober and years later was on pm. But with the oxys(and any opiate/opiod) tolerance develops rapidly and there effectiveness dwindles and it's perpetual. Nothing takes my pain entirely away but mj dulls it pretty well,then again I've been taking it(not prescribed) in conjunction with oxys,so we will see.

If she dont understand now then she prob never will. Just show her a cpl documentarys about oxy abuse and then show her all the proven uses for weed and if that dont convince er nothing will. On a side note weed aint as great as a pain killer as oxy is. But its alot better for you. Just tell ur doc the pills make you sick and medical marijuana was mentioned to you as a alternative to pills and ud like to give thay a shot as you dont wanna take pills the rest of ur life.

Jeb why are you trolling every thread this man is looking for real answers.
Hey don't sweat this asshole I ignored him he's been trolling pm threads as well.

He keeps stating in Russia they teach people to enjoy pain and if that's true I could see why(beneficial to the regime), those poor souls live in pain constantly under a brutal dictator(can't tell me Putins not). You can probably be taught to enjoy eating shit,also but I won't try it ! I live in a country where we have options.

I'd report him but as I said just clicked ignore and life goes on!

Even if MMJ does not kill the pain completly, if the OP can use it to reduce is opiate daily dose it would be a great thing.

I am not sure how the legals work where you are but you can tell her that in Canada, people actually get prescribed MMJ by doctors. Now that I think of it, I guess it is probably the same in the state...

NORML website might be a good ressource for arguments.

You can also tell her that they do THC pills (Marinol), up to you if this would be in your favor or work against you since she might tell you to use them.

Good luck.

Honestly, I can't really see a reason other than simple misconception due to past and even current standards. I don't know how it works for drug testing and what not if you have a real doctors recommendation for rx drugs like oxy but just because you have a mmj card doesn't mean you will be protected in the workplace if something were to occur. Perhaps even random drug testing or something like many places seem to do recently.

As someone who has struggled with opiate addiction it is really hard to compare the two. I am not sure if I agree completely with the looseness of CA's current mmj policy, but also am not bothered by it. I just feel that it will be misleading for many youth to believe that it is completely harmless and that it is a behavior without consequence. But in terms of legitimate use, I see it as complete harm reduction in comparison to using an opiate medication. Just my opinion, but it has to be someone's.

Also, if you aren't looking to be high all day you can try CBD. It is non psychoactive and can be purchased online.

Best of luck.

are you sure this will work? I have used both opiates and cannabis for pain and cannabis doesn't work very welll in my experience. what cannabis does, is make me so stoned i forget about the pain for about 45 minutes to an hour, then i feel worse. I can't smoke more mj either because if i smoke more than twice in a day the high lasts like 10 minutes and then i feel even more awful afterward.

So basically mj is good for pain for like one hour a day. it doesn't even compare to opiates in terms of efficacy for pain, and while i wont argue that cannabis is safer than opiates, also consider cannabis has more side effects on your mind than opiates, like making you paranoid and forgetful, which opiates dont do.

now using it in conjunction with opiates to reduce opiate dose/frequency of use, that i can wholeheartedly recommend. I just dont see cannabis by itself, as an effective painkiller.

Cannabis doesn't work for everyone universally and whilst one strain, like say certain indicas with a particular terpene profile and THC:CBD ratio, might be beneficial, others might not. It might not remove the pain but it may improve your perception of it so that it simply doesn't bother you as much. There is a difference between neuropathic and nociceptive pain and where a cannabis strain might help you with neuropathic pain it might not be as useful with the other type of pain.

Cannabis is by no means a replacement for opioids, that would be absurd, but some people with low levels of pain might get away with eliminating their opioid use and a lot of people will be able to drop their opioid dose, using cannabis as a sort of adjuct to the opioid, making it more efficacious at a lower dose and reducing side effects as a result, especially ones like nausea or vomiting.

Just because someone doesn't find it useful for pain it doesn't mean it isn't useful for everyone, especially since the scientific evidence demonstrates its utility quite clearly, especially with people with conditions like MS but the list of conditions it helps with is virtually endless.

What an interesting post Artificial Emotion.

From my limited knowledge and experience, everything you've said made sens, for instance few people know that terpene is part of the equation. Also weed does help with Opioids and Opiates withdrawal symptoms, I am still trying to find wich strain suits me best.

And I never before considered the distinction between neuropathic and nociceptive yet something rings true about Cannabis being useful with the first one.

So thank you and best of luck to the OP.