• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Want an extra £200 a year every year and get to say FUCK YOU to the BIG 6 Energy Cos?

mydrugbuddy

Bluelighter
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

And the best thing is that it only takes a 10 minute phone call.

The average saving for any household that has never switched away from any one of the BIG 6 RIP OFF MERCHANTS is £200 per year, every year, until finally and surely inevitably the BIG 6 will eventually be forced to be more competitive when they have no customers left, as it's obvious that the governments watchdogs are not going to do anything about their excessive profiteering, with sharp practices like never lowering customer prices when wholesale prices tumble, but always instantly passing on any increases in their wholesale costs. :!

But you do have a choice, there is something you can do about it, and it's really very simple.

At present only an estimated 30% of consumers have moved away from the BIG 6 to get a better deal from all of these burgeoning, new, much smaller companies, who simply do not take excessive profits; and do not take their customers inertia/lazyness/fear/confusion/completely misplaced loyalty for granted. With all these new companies now in existence it is no longer the case that "it's not worth switching because the company you've switched to will be putting up their prices next month anyway". This did seem to be the case for some time, when switching did seem pointless for exactly the reason I quoted, but this certainly does not apply any more. %)

I have just done it, and i will be saving £200 from now on. I can't believe I didn't do this ages long ago as it's been a constant source of anger since the very steep increases in costs first seen about 5 years ago, it seems to be just some form of inertia or something failing to click in people's heads. 8( Maybe it's partially because they deliberately make the bills so confusing and complicated that nobody can understand them, but if you go to the website above it will guide you through extracting the required information. Ideally you will have an annual statement showing the kw/h you used for both electricity and gas, or failing that any bill showing standing charges etc and details about how much you pay and how often if you don't know what your usage is.

You can immediately save £85 on standing charges alone, the price you pay just for the privilege of being connected and having meters standing in your home. British Gas charge 52p per day just for that dubious honor, the newer companies charge roughly half that on average. And then adding the unit costs for actual useage adds up to an average saving of £200 p/a, which might not seem very much for those on decent incomes, but it could make a huge difference to any household struggling to get by on a low income or on benefits.

Last edited:
LOL the first thing I was gna ask when I saw this title was, have you been listening to Martin Lewis or checking out moneysavingexpert.com He's always mentioning this :)
I can't grumble I pay £64 month for gas and electric.

Eveu

You should grumble at that, you could be paying 2/3 of that. That is what i am trying to get across. ;)

I was also paying around £65 per month, now gonna be paying £37 a month.

You should grumble at that, you could be paying 2/3 of that. That is what i am trying to get across. ;)

I was also paying around £65 per month, now gonna be paying £37 a month.

I'm paying that for both gas and electric and for two people. I guess it depends on what you have and use as well. But that's great you pay that now and I will get round to looking I'm kinda lazy like that.

Evey

Yeah i get money off vouchers from GB Energy Supply for writing OPs such as this one, and spamming everywhere with the same post (Not.)

I'm paying that for both gas and electric and for two people. I guess it depends on what you have and use as well. But that's great you pay that now and I will get round to looking I'm kinda lazy like that.

Evey

Do you know which device or appliance in the home uses most energy/costs the most to run?

I've got one of those stupid pre-pay meters which I'm sure is more expensive but they charge an arm and a leg to remove it IIRC....

I've got one of those stupid pre-pay meters which I'm sure is more expensive but they charge an arm and a leg to remove it IIRC....

Those things are a curse man, and yes they do charge the highest tariff to run those things. :\

Are you renting the place you currently live or mortgaged? If you intend staying a while it'd be worth looking into whether its possible to get it removed, you could use the "i want to get a smart meter" angle as they have to roll out a certain number of those, so you might get lucky and be offered a replacement smart meter as part of rolling those out instead.

Yeah i thought kettle too, but the Gas Man who came to install those bloody smart meters said it was electric showers. I was quite surprised. I sometimes used to spend 30-45 minutes just enjoying the simple sensory pleasure of a shower, especially as a way to try and wake up when i can barely keep my eyes open on really cold mornings, but i've had to cut back on those ridiculously long showers now, since i found out that they are the most expensive appliance to run.

I now save a few pennies on showers, but spend hundreds of pounds on expensive drugs. Crazy huh.:|

I sometimes wish that the guy hadn't told me, as i shower as fast as possible now, kind of rinsing the shampoo off at the same time as washing my hair, rather than make 2 separate stages out of the process as i did before. Bet you were dying to know that heh. Sorry for such a mundane post. :\

Evey

Yeah me too usually. But i had some special opi-energy today though which ive managed to put to good use. Got more done today than i normally would have done in a whole week. 8)

Last edited:
2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner.

Every little helps. A TV advert told me so.

Showers makes sense as I'm sure it's appliances that generate a lot of heat. I bet halogen heaters are up there as well.

My place is rented so I can't really do a lot about the meter. I don't spend a lot really....I usually put 25 a month on both and there's always some left at the end of the month cos due to my job I'm often out the house 14-15 hours of the day. Obviously use more gas in winter but that's unavoidable.

As for showers I just take as long as I like. After all why spend all that time working if you cant enjoy the simple things in life like a nice long shower.

Unfortunately this place only has a shower and not a bath as a nice long bath is really relaxing but not practical at 4:00 in the morning as I'd only fall back asleep and drown :)

Not if you bring your yellow rubber duckie in with you....;)

Just for comparison, I own a detached average size house and my combined electric and gas runs about $200 USD on average. So you are getting a deal.

Last edited:
I already have an independent guy who services my hamster farm, for a very reasonable price, so I'm always bathed in incandescent glory.

I could do with saving 1/3 on the lady who cleans up the shite. I pay her for her experience; she won the award for cleanest horse carousel nine years running.

When the utilities were nationalised, everyone paid the same amount per unit. That was a fair system.

When the utilities were nationalised, everyone paid the same amount per unit. That was a fair system.

I really wish this was possible across the pond. Unfortunately the Federal system with multiple state regulation makes it an unworkable solution. Utilities are quasi-state run in a number of places, which is far more affordable for low income folks.

I'm happy with my system cause see it as a saving if I dont use as much as i pay for i get it baxj at the end of the year

Evey