• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Vyvanse lasts about 4 hours for me... Advice?

Hello,

I wanted to post my experience with stimulants for my ADD and hopefully offer some help. I was prescribed Adderall XL 20mg, once a day, and had a very bad experience with it. Not only did it only last about 3-4 hours, but I felt lethargic and zombie-like. I tried this medication for 6 months and the symptoms did not subside. So my doctor then tried me on Vyvanse 30mg, once a day. I had the same issue as before and the Vyvanse would only work for about 3-4 hours. I even tried splitting my Vyvanse in half, mixing it in water, like you did. No difference and lasted an even shorter amount of time. I also had stomach issues with the Vyvanse (5-6 bowel movements a day, diarrhea).

My doctor felt like the extended release formulas could be the problem and started me on Instant Release Ritalin 10mg, twice a day. I have been on the Ritalin for over 3 years and would not want to change to anything else. Each dose lasts for around 3 hours, so enough to get through a work day. If I am having a longer day that requires some more medication, I will split my pills in half and take 5mg at a time. Then take the Ritalin 3-4 times during the day. I don't feel any real difference between 5mg and 10mg. But again I only do this on select days that I have a lot to do, otherwise I stick to my 2 daily doses.

I feel like some of us just do better on an instant release of medication. I enjoy having my medication kick in within 10 minutes and not feeling medicated when I don't need to be. If I don't need all my medication on a lazy day, then I don't have to take something that's in my system all day long. For whatever reason, some of us just process medication differently and you shouldn't feel like your body has to respond the same way others do. Ask your doctor about short-acting or instant-release versions. I do well with the Ritalin, but there is also Instant Release Adderall. See what they think and I hope this helps. Good luck!