• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Vyvanse and Phentermine together

Disj

Greenlighter
I had much success with Adipex back in 2011-2012. A few years ago, I went back to the clinic to get more to take once a week for maintenance, but the new doctor would not prescribe it.

For the the past year I have been taking 70 mg of Vyvanse a few times a week. It makes me not hungry but has stalled my metabolism for sure.

I now found a doctor who prescribed me Phentermine in the same dosage I took years ago and stopped taking the Vyvanse. I feel nothing. At all. The scale has moved marginally and is quite different from last time.

I was was wondering if anyone has experience taking both Vyvanse and Phentermine together? I have 37.5 Phentermine that I can half and take with my Vyvanse. Would I stagger the dosage or take at the same time? Would the risks be greater by mixing them vs upping tge dosage of the Vyvanse, which I have also done?

Do your healthcare providers know that you've been prescribed both of those medications? Sounds dangerous...

Also, diet pills are supposed to be supplemented with an actual diet, and exercise. The idea, I would venture to guess, is for the diet substance to negate one's bodily sense that they're starving, until one gets used to less adipose fat, and with that, leptin that it sends to the brain. It's not meant to magically work to keep weight off forever. That effect disappears, after which the substance isn't absolutely needed to maintain at a reasonable weight, and is withdrawn.

Thanks for the reply. I will admit that I have poor eating habits in the sense that I will often forget to eat or find myself on the road and would rather not eat than eat fast food. And I consistently work out at least 2x a week. Sometimes more, but never less. My question was not whether or not it was magically keeping the weight off forever since it has been 6 years since I last took adipex. My question is if I could take them together, if I should stagger the dose or is it just better to use one vs the other. I feel like the adipex gives me the kickstart I need but Vyvanse helps my focus but literally kills my appetite and as a result, my metabolism. Thanks again, though.

Working out 4-5 times per week is ideal, according to what I've read.

If you take both at once, your clinical picture is blurred. How many people actually take that combo? Also, it will really put your brain into a lot of an extra "go" mode.

I can't tell you what to take. But I'm guessing your doctor will not be as happy with you taking both, as opposed to one. Different doctors have different philosophies. It's easy: ask what they recommend, and abide by it. Easy.

Hey OP- did you ever find an answer as to whether or not Vyvanse and Phentermine can safely and effectively be taken together?

I'm in a similar boat... my endo prescribed me phentermine since I have PCOS and it's difficult to lose weight. I had a lot of success with it 5 years ago and kept the weight off for a few years, but this time I feel nothing. I am also prescribed Vyvanse 30mg by my primary doc, but stopped taking it right before I got the phentermine so I'm wondering if I can take both. I emailed my endo a few days ago, but she hasn't responded yet.

My wedding is in 2 months and I'm doing all the right things like healthy eating and exercise to reach my goal and I can tell this is not just a plateau. I suspect the Vyvanse had more of an impact than I realized.

Anyway, curious to learn what you ended up doing and how it's going. Thanks!

I hate to be the one to burst the bubble, but it was proven back in like, the 1980's the Central Nervous System stimulants when used for the purpose of chronic weight loss, were pretty much useless. Yes, taking stimulants will reduce your appetite, causing you to eat less and will produce immediate and noticeable weight loss, but the problem that was found decades ago to nearly universal was that once the stimulant was withdrawn, the weight would inevitably return at a rate just as "miraculously" fast as it had disappeared.

The reason why the clinic no longer would prescribe the Adipex (Phentermine), is because of these repeated and near-universal clinical findings, so to do so, would be considered putting the patient and unnecessary risk for an unlikely going on non-existent benefit. Prescribing CNS stimulants these days, except in extreme, strange cases borders on medical negligence. Please do research on the subject my friend. Exercise and proper diet are nowhere near immediate, extreme or sexy, but they are the only truly effective means of healthy weight control.