• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Vyvanse and amino acid breakdown

FonkEmonkE

Bluelighter
I apologize if this question has already been covered. I have recently switched to Vyvanse 60mg once a day over Adderall IR (generic) 60mg taken in 20mg doses through out the day. On a note unrelated to the question, my insurance does not take effect until August so I had to pay a tremendous amount of money for Shires "new and approved" formula. Got to love pharma patents.

From my basic, and definitely not biochemical knowledge, is that Vyvanse is simply dextroamphetamine with an amino acid molecule attached. Now my question (for you biochemistry majors) is, does the body breakdown this amino acid all at once (within 2-3 hours?) and covert it to dextroamphetamine or does it truly get converted slowly over the course of many more hours through out the day. I'm trying to figure out if this is a true extended release drug or more of just a delayed onset drug thats less abusable. Abuse is not my intent regardless. Sorry if any of my terminology is incorrect here. Thanks guys!

*edit* I should probably also mention part of my curiosity/confusion with this new medication is that I feel positive effects for maybe 3 hours starting one hour after dosing. Then it's like 8 hours of dysphoria/depression along with a few other negatives from still feeling drug in system.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for link! It's funny because my body was telling me exactly this. Slow(er) come up, then realitively quick peak with a very long come down. What a fantastic medication. I greatly look forward to Shires next patent.

I'm a chemistry major with pharmaceutical experience. This is different from a controlled release. Oxycontin and OP are controlled release and basically just plain old oxycodone with a particular formulation design which makes the tablet itself absorb more slowly and "gels up" which means that snorting or IV'ing it won't get into your bloodstream, only swallowing will work and it takes longer to make it past the GI tract than percocet (IR) would. Vvyanse is different, it requires a biochemical transformation into amphetamine by enzymes in your body which are known to act fairly slowly so the amount of amphetamine in your bloodstream at any one time is always pretty low so it would be tough to get high off of it. Normally when you want to use something recreationally you need to get it on board fast.

Last edited:
Interesting info, thank you for your input! From an anecdotal stand point I would disagree that it's "tough" to get high off it. Although I'm sure this was in large Shires objective. It definitely has more therapeutic value than recreational but my experience has been the thearaputic window last no more than 4 hours. I'm sure everyone's body processes this medication differently. On paper this med looks great (ONE reason 9/10 psyc doctors probably push it) but my biochemistry doesn't seem to respond in the desired manner Shire may have intended. A mid afternoon booster may rectify this but at this point, IR meds seem more practical for me. We shall see what my highly educated doctor says. Sorry for the sarcasm but I just had to switch docs because I relocated to another state and the process sucks. Especially when your previous treatment program gets changed.