• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Vyvance and dex and alcohol

Beetle36

Greenlighter
Hi

Please let me know if this is in the wrong place. I recently went through 5 weeks of super heavy drinking ending up in ed.

Stayed sober for 2 weeks but in that time used some dex as well as my 70mg of vyvance. In total probably had 40 5mg dex over 3 weeks with the most being 12 in 1 day but didn't take any vyvance that day.

After 2 weeks drank again on Monday and took my vyvance + 1 dex. On Tuesday drank 10 beers and took around 90mg vyvance and 3 dex. Wednesday tiny amount extra vyvance + 6 beers.

Had to see my drug and alcohol case manager on Thursday so took small amount extra vyvance plus 3 diazopam - have a very high tolerance. Have been super anxious and each day taking small amount extra vyvance. Hard to tell how much but still around a quarter of a 70mg capsule left. Was trying to inexpertly taper.

Today taken normal dose of vyvance and 2 Diaz.

At no point did I even get wired enough to stay up all night like I used to on my dex.

Start a new job Monday and still just anxious. I told my doctor about the alcohol use but not stimulant as I have ADHD and terrified of having my script taken away.

Still anxious and limited energy but eating and slept 8 hours last night. Woke up groggy and felt slightly confused - can't tell if that was the 5 Diaz I took yesterday, small amount less vyvance or anxiety. Have managed to make it to corner store and pharmacy today after taking 2 Diaz.

Sorry for the long post but do you think what I am feeling is withdrawals or just freaking out that I had overdone it and have to start new job? My logic tells me I am just freaking out as used to do stuff like take 16-20 dex a day, run out and somehow still make it to work.

I have my regular vyvance dose for the next 3 days and 5 Diaz a day.

Opinions - freak out or withdrawals, if latter surely I should be over the worst of it? Suggestions what to do now?

Again sorry for the novel but any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like your Vyvanse dose is too high and is making you anxious. I had the same thing on Vyvanse man especially when I first started it. I got used to it eventually and this stopped, but I moved to dex IR because it feels cleaner and is much more flexible.

How long have you been on these meds? It sounds like it's been a while and you have a history with them, so my suggestion is lower your doses and definitely stop drinking because alcohol and amphetamine potentiate each other and cause harsh comedowns. Especially heavy drinking, then you have a comedown and hangover at the same time. Which as you know now is not very nice.

Anyway yeah not withdrawals, definitely just anxiety. Suggestion is take a break from the amphetamines for a bit or at least lower your dose. I find a few days is usually enough if I feel too "sped up" from my daily dex.

Thanks. Been on dex at high prescription doses for 2 years, before that ritalin and concerta. Can't really take a break now starting new job but think I have a long weekend next weekend. Appreciate your reassurance for some reason been freaking out for no reason. Partly I think from not being honest with doc.

Yeah if you have anxiety already, stims will make it worse unfortunately. I say stick to lower doses at your new job then have a break over the long weekend and you'll be good.

Thank you. Was mostly concerned it was withdrawals and was going to get worse before it got better and like I said while I was completely honest with case worker and doctor about alcohol use am too scared to tell them about stim misuse as I genuinely have ADHD and have tried non stim alternatives over the years and they have not worked at all. Having to change doctor's to get the support I need in this town sucks especially as they are worried about vyvance and I am scared they will take me off it without properly knowing my history. Sorry if repeating myself am glad to hear you don't think this is withdrawals as logic and history were telling me it shouldn't be but was stressing it was going to get worse before it got better - not exactly the look I am after starting a new job in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business. Figured that out after two years of living here!