• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Vow Of Silence

Would you take a Vow of Silence For a Year?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I’m tired of conflict. I’m tired of judgement both of myself and others. I’m tired of not appreciating the ability to speak. I’m thinking of a vow of silence. In both part related to God and my belief in Jesus Christ that I talk and think to much. I prayed for God to give me the discernment between my thoughts and His plan and this is what came to my mind about 3 hours after that pray r And another part, that when I speak I speak vulgarity. I’m rude and abrupt. I’ve embraced my shadow for long enough (see Carl Jung) thoughts? Would you attempt a day, a week, a year. To humble yourself before God.

So, what's your plan? I suppose it depends on your approach or reason for doing so. I did a homemade vow of silence for like 3 days when I was a kid to better understand solitude. Personally I think just being alone; preferably in an isolated area helps the most. It always helps me to heal anyway

I know people always say meditation helps but for me and probably others it can often be more of a distraction than a healing experience. I don't believe in divinity but I think it's important to find peace within yourself. Hopefully this helps

So, what's your plan? I suppose it depends on your approach or reason for doing so. I did a homemade vow of silence for like 3 days when I was a kid to better understand solitude. Personally I think just being alone; preferably in an isolated area helps the most. It always helps me to heal anyway

I know people always say meditation helps but for me and probably others it can often be more of a distraction than a healing experience. I don't believe in divinity but I think it's important to find peace within yourself. Hopefully this helps
My divinity is peace for me. I cannot speak on others experience with God. I just know what I believe. But my version of my beliefs and others is totally different. Short of given you a Bible lesson( I’ll spare you) Jesus is unconditional love, compassion and forgiveness. Not the judging bashing, hateful version encountered today. My goal is to understand how my words hurt others, and to strangle my need to worry about it “getting even” when someone says something I don’t like. I’ve ruined and burnt many bridges with my words, probably a symptom of my bipolar. Or maybe a lack of discipline. That said, an incident occurred in which I let my emotions get the best of me on here. And I became misogynistic, rude, cold, and hurtful and probably ruined a lot of peoples days. That said, I am who I am. They always say if you can’t say nothing nice.. my vow of silence symbols an attempt to gain control of my emotions. Something I’ve lack forever albeit lack of structure, discipline or being an outright shithead. That said, every rude word I utter could turn someone away from turning to Christ. My desire is to emulate Him. Not to disgrace Him or turn people away. As I feel that is when my right to speak impedes on something like that ..

Basically if I say something rude and I represent Christ it gives someone the wrong impression of Christ. And that sickens me.

Another thing I can tell you from memory, is to avoid eating sweets or sugary things. Rice and beans are good. You can safely do this for a few days, maybe up to 4 days depending on your system. Drink water only. And the most important thing, don't read

This is based on my experience, mind you. Reading is something that kept me thinking for hours. I don't know how it is for you, but I'm curious how this works for you

Another thing I can tell you from memory, is to avoid eating sweets or sugary things. Rice and beans are good. You can safely do this for a few days, maybe up to 4 days depending on your system. Drink water only. And the most important thing, don't read

This is based on my experience, mind you. Reading is something that kept me thinking for hours. I don't know how it is for you, but I'm curious how this works for you
I eat one time a day. And really have began to address my animal consumption, personally trying to find a plant diet that doesn’t led me to malnutrition. A lot of changes fast. But I’m awakening to who I am

It's definitely possible. You could do it with the right supplements, like vitamins and magnesium and trace minerals like zinc. As long as you still eat grains you should be all right. The issue vegans deal with is lack of vitamin B and not its absorption, assuming they get enough magnesium and zinc. I've even looked into the paleo diet but the trick with that is that you have to have a fresh source for everything so you get all the nutrients from your food. That's very hard to do unless you live on a farm next to a lake

It's definitely possible. You could do it with the right supplements, like vitamins and magnesium and trace minerals like zinc. As long as you still eat grains you should be all right. The issue vegans deal with is lack of vitamin B and not its absorption, assuming they get enough magnesium and zinc. I've even looked into the paleo diet but the trick with that is that you have to have a fresh source for everything so you get all the nutrients from your food. That's very hard to do unless you live on a farm next to a lake
I use garden of life whole food vitamins Nordic natural fish oil stamets 7 l theanine. Tyrosine as needed 5htp triple calm magnesium with three types. Problem is I feel like my stomach is gnawing once a day but I’ve also used cannabis daily up until a month ago and delta 8 since then

Honestly I think flax oil or just plain flax seeds once ground up are just as good if not better than cod liver oil/fish oil. Have you tried it? You can put some on a salad. That's pretty good

Honestly I think flax oil or just plain flax seeds once ground up are just as good if not better than cod liver oil/fish oil. Have you tried it? You can put some on a salad. That's pretty good
No but it would be a helluva lot cheaper on the wallet and I’m always looking to cut unnecessary spending when I figure out a better cheaper alternative

Have you ever done this before? I would not commit to a year unless you really know what you're doing.

I did this for 10 days and it wasn't too hard because I was in a community that was all doing it. Once I got back to the "real world" I wanted to keep going, but found it impossible. I had to talk to do work to make money, to tell doctors about my health, etc. Unless you just write everything to everyone, but that's still talking, in a way.

I find a vow of silence only works if you're in a supportive community, like a monastery. That's where the majority of people who try this go.

Have you ever done this before? I would not commit to a year unless you really know what you're doing.

I did this for 10 days and it wasn't too hard because I was in a community that was all doing it. Once I got back to the "real world" I wanted to keep going, but found it impossible. I had to talk to do work to make money, to tell doctors about my health, etc. Unless you just write everything to everyone, but that's still talking, in a way.

I find a vow of silence only works if you're in a supportive community, like a monastery. That's where the majority of people who try this go.
I mean I’m searching more and more that

I just realize I give a lot of power away when I speak more then needed or speaking at all when things don’t warrant a rise from me. I look around and I see people being so divided. The only way to avoid it is to not take part and use parts of my faith , knowledge of psychology, and other research such as the laws of power. most nuns I think would not be around someone who’s researching anything in the dark triad. Plus as I mentioned above I’ve hurt and laid ruin with my words. A year.. is the goal I should state. I don’t talk most of the day so a daily thing doesn’t effect me. I have it easier. I draw SSDI I don’t have a boss, I trade stocks so I just press buttons which lacks any emotion or socializing if you chose to stay private. I said some unkind things pretty much my whole speaking life and while I’ll never not think it I can chose to not say it. I’m learning more and more with my age those that have power move in the shadows and work their plans with a “velvet glove”.

I did one at a monastery too. It was great, though sometimes difficult.

I mean I’m searching more and more that

I just realize I give a lot of power away when I speak more then needed or speaking at all when things don’t warrant a rise from me. I look around and I see people being so divided. The only way to avoid it is to not take part and use parts of my faith , knowledge of psychology, and other research such as the laws of power. most nuns I think would not be around someone who’s researching anything in the dark triad. Plus as I mentioned above I’ve hurt and laid ruin with my words. A year.. is the goal I should state. I don’t talk most of the day so a daily thing doesn’t effect me. I have it easier. I draw SSDI I don’t have a boss, I trade stocks so I just press buttons which lacks any emotion or socializing if you chose to stay private. I said some unkind things pretty much my whole speaking life and while I’ll never not think it I can chose to not say it. I’m learning more and more with my age those that have power move in the shadows and work their plans with a “velvet glove”.

I sympathize with your situation and understand where you're coming from. Words can be harmful and superfluous. The only thing I can impart to you is, a vow of silence is more about the intention than it is the literal silence. You may not use your vocal cords all day, but you could be online chatting with people, posting on forums like this. Is that a wise use of your energy?

Originally, the vow of silence was to teach people how to better channel their words when they eventually spoke again... just like a vow of temporary celibacy can help you to better understand your sexual energy. These are all acts of deprivation that show you, through contrast, your own excesses and indulgences with these faculties.

Last edited:
I’m looking just to see how long I can go to test my discipline if nothing but
It’s easiest, I think, if no one else is talking either, but it’s especially lonely if you are not talking around other people, if that makes sense.
It’s easier though in some ways if you’re alone, but that has its own drawbacks because it is so isolating.
I think I stayed for 5 days without speaking except one phone call to reassure someone that I was okay, which illustrates the inconvenience of not speaking!

Honestly, since you asked, ..all this/your agenda including a big announcement of a "vow of silence", efforts to "appreciating the ability to speak", "an attempt to gain control of my emotions" or over whatever, Jesus Christ's opinion about "your talking and thinking", your "desire to emulate him", "represent him", awaken to whatever and getting away from vulgarity that way, ..to me this sounds like business as usual, more of the same, more egoic bullshit. I think it will make no difference if you do all this while your mouth is flapping, or shut. But I would encourage you to do/try it anyway, cause as soon as the food hole is closes for a while, the mind will ramp up the volume of its chatter inside and there is greater possibility to learn something about that, I think.

Unless you are on a retreat somewhere, meaning in an supportive/enabling environment as other have pointed out, this will not work out since modern life demands at least some verbal communication.

Would I take a vow of silence (for a year) in "normal" life? No, I think that's just silliness and won't work out. I will probably get locked away. But words are not the ultimate concern, from "where" they come is. That will naturally determine how much and what words flow out, if one wants/likes it or not.

Would I go on a silent retreat (for a year)? Perhaps yes, it depends. It would certainly represent a unique opportunity. I was in silent solitude for weeks more than once; very ..'revealing', let's phrase it like that. But I also know that one can be still inside, even though words are spoken on occasion. And people react very diverse to this, I found, but that's not really what it is about, is it? Anyway..

Honestly, since you asked, ..all this/your agenda including a big announcement of a "vow of silence", efforts to "appreciating the ability to speak", "an attempt to gain control of my emotions" or over whatever, Jesus Christ's opinion about "your talking and thinking", your "desire to emulate him", "represent him", awaken to whatever and getting away from vulgarity that way, ..to me this sounds like business as usual, more of the same, more egoic bullshit. I think it will make no difference if you do all this while your mouth is flapping, or shut. But I would encourage you to do/try it anyway, cause as soon as the food hole is closes for a while, the mind will ramp up the volume of its chatter inside and there is greater possibility to learn something about that, I think.

Unless you are on a retreat somewhere, meaning in an supportive/enabling environment as other have pointed out, this will not work out since modern life demands at least some verbal communication.

Would I take a vow of silence (for a year) in "normal" life? No, I think that's just silliness and won't work out. I will probably get locked away. But words are not the ultimate concern, from "where" they come is. That will naturally determine how much and what words flow out, if one wants/likes it or not.

Would I go on a silent retreat (for a year)? Perhaps yes, it depends. It would certainly represent a unique opportunity. I was in silent solitude for weeks more than once; very ..'revealing', let's phrase it like that. But I also know that one can be still inside, even though words are spoken on occasion. And people react very diverse to this, I found, but that's not really what it is about, is it? Anyway..
Thank you I appreciate you opinion and time you took to right that you have some good points and ima use those moving forward but please don’t ever assume my faith is ego again you don’t know me.

I would go with solitude, like abstaining from reading and talking which stimulate our mind, or at least it does mine. I thought you would've done this by now, honestly but that's my opinion. I mean it's not a big deal depending on your living situation. I would just do it right away and get it over with. I'm curious to hear what happens. I felt a lot better after I did it

Do you have a job? How would you communicate with people in day to day life. I guess this would be an interesting experiment if you're a hermit with no responsibilities. Maybe learn sign language so you can at least express yourself without speaking.