• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

VOTE: How far should Australia go on legalising cannabis?

poledriver

Bluelighter
VOTE: How far should Australia go on legalising cannabis?

It appears to be just a matter of time before cannabis is legalised in some form within Australia, but state legislators are now faced with the choice of how far they should go.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has come forward with his desire to legalise medical cannabis in his state, while the NSW government is presiding over a medical trial in which marijuana is given to seriously ill people, including children suffering severe epilepsy.

Mr Andrews said it was time to drag marijuana laws "into the 21st century".

"Parents shouldn't have to choose between breaking the law and watching their children suffer," he said.

"Children are in pain, families are suffering, people are living in fear and outdated laws are getting in the way."

Canberra's Calvary Hospital emergency department head David Caldicott has backed attempts to legalise medical cannabis, but senior doctors who back full legalisation are difficult to find, with doctors warning of the dangers of street marijuana.

December 19, 2014: New Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews is pushing ahead to legalise medicinal cannabis in the state, saying it is essential for some families.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has also endorsed the use of medical marijuana.

The NSW and Victorian governments have said there is no plan to completely legalise marijuana, as has taken place in the US state of Colorado.

Countries around the world have taken different stances on the criminal status of the plant.

In the US, Alaska, Oregon and Washington have completely legalised marijuana, following Colorado's lead.

Cannabis is also used for medical purposes in 18 US states.

The Netherlands, particularly its capital city Amsterdam, is famed the world over for a lenient stance on cannabis, but the drug is actually illegal in the country.

However, possession of small amounts is not prosecuted and marijauna is available for purchase in special coffee shops.

In Canada, medical marijuana is available to approved patients, who are also allowed to grow the plant.

Portugal in the early 2000s decriminalised cannabis, making possession and limited use a medical rather than a criminal matter.

People found with marijuana in the country can be forced to attend a clinic, rather than be prosecuted.

vote here -

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-cannabis-legalisation-should-australia-adopt

Currently -

2ih2ov9.png

There is no point in partially legalising weed because experience shows that it's next to impossible to enforce once medical cannabis is available. Once common ailments like insomnia or nausea are treated then it's easy for anyone to fake the required symptoms to their doctor.

Ahh, if only the real-world polls had results like the Internet polls...

Ahh, if only the real-world polls had results like the Internet polls...

How far off are the real world polls from those numbers? I know in Washington D.C. a whopping 70% of voters voted for legalization, how does Australia compare?

How far off are the real world polls from those numbers? I know in Washington D.C. a whopping 70% of voters voted for legalization, how does Australia compare?

The thing is that America has had 20 years of lobbying for medical/recreational marijuana, whereas the issue has mostly been ignored here (beyond varying degrees of decriminalization in some states). Even the Americans who don't like the idea are used to it, have heard the debates, they're aware of it, whereas it's just not on the radar here in Aus. Even the legalization in Colorado and Washington over in the states barely got a mention in the mainstream media.

^ its rare that the media heavily broadcasts anything positive within society, sadly.

id love to see legalization occur in australia. and at a minimum, decriminalization.

...kytnism...:|

^ its rare that the media heavily broadcasts anything positive within society, sadly.

id love to see legalization occur in australia. and at a minimum, decriminalization.

Possession is decriminalized in some states, but not others. Even growing is decriminalized in some states iirc (weed isn't my thing).

afaik you can grow 1 or 2 (non-hydroponic) plants in a couple of places, ACT, SA, NT , I think you can still get fined for it in those places, just not sent to court. If anyone has any good links to Aus law regarding weed state by state post them up.

^ i too would be interested in viewing that data. im vaguely aware of SA's law and stance on growth and possession (only by word of mouth).

and crank: i too dont smoke or use weed but am a huge advocate of legalization and or decriminalization simply due its medicinal benefits and ailments for long term illness sufferers.

and crank: i too dont smoke or use weed but am a huge advocate of legalization and or decriminalization simply due its medicinal benefits and ailments for long term illness sufferers.

Likewise, not to mention that any small amount of progress we make away from the current war on drugs is a good thing in my eyes.