• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

vivitrol, timeline and effects.

tiggs

Greenlighter
Firstly I would like to mention that I am new to this site, I read up most of the rules and guidelines but please forgive me if there are any mistakes or if this is in the wrong thread. Just looking for some serious advice and help even. Thank you so much.

My friend, 15 days ago received his first vivitrol/naltrexone monthly injection. For him he can only describe this experience as an absolute nightmare.
One should be clean of all opiates 7-14 days prior to receiving this shot and he continued using both h and suboxone the entire time. Regardless of this he decided to indulge his parents wishes to at least make the appointment and see what the doc has to say. The doc STILL told him to take the shot, that he will have slight withdrawals but to deal with it. Thinking the withdrawals wouldnt be so bad my friend decided why not. Took the shot and went through the worst hell of his life that night. His experience he could describe as withdrawal symptoms 10x worse then when he was smoking a bun a day, could have put him in a coma or something.
He has had nothing but misery and depression, even suicidal thoughts since the shot even today. It was supposed to help craving but he says they are tenfold at this point. He continues to try using every few days of the weeks and notices with more time he gets more and more of a buzz.... vivitrol did not work for him what so ever and all it is at this point is a countdown to its end. Hes marked days on his calendar for when it should begin to taper which appears to be now at day 15 and others experienced it to be completely gone around day 20 ish...
One more side effect that truely concerns him is the sight of the injection still slightly hurts!

I would love to hear others experiences with vivitrol, the 1 month injection not the naltrexone pills. How it has effected you positively and negatively. He would also like to know serious alternatives to get him a good buzz as he simply cant stand being sobre all it feels to him is if he is trapped, a scared little puppy that needs a way out before the depression takes hold and no, counseling is not helping either. This is a very serious and sensitive matter to him. He needs to know of others experience to how long before others could experience a good euphoria of opiates after vivitrol but for now he is curious of alteratives to help pass this painfully sobre time by, alternatives that are not costly as he is unemployed.

EDIT: I have been researching vivitrol for the past 15 days so yes I have seen the other threads regarding it.

Last edited:
Tings I am right there with you. I am only 11 days in and I feel almost claustrophobic from it. I've been thinking of ways I can go to the ER to have it reversed. Thinking this won't wear off for 3 weeks???? Idk how I'll make it.

Tings I am right there with you. I am only 11 days in and I feel almost claustrophobic from it. I've been thinking of ways I can go to the ER to have it reversed. Thinking this won't wear off for 3 weeks???? Idk how I'll make it.
I am on day 20 and i tryed to get high on H.....and did not feel anything. I was being carefull cuz ive heard of people OD wen using the same amount as before! But i did it again 3 hrs later and still nothing....i might try day 25........."i want my opiates"

Finally day 29 i used n i felt it.....oh shit it felt great like the first time......hang in there u will get there just be carefull

I'm on day 9 and its safe to say I'll never in my life get this shot again. The first 7 were completely miserable thanks to my lying doctor who just said what I wanted to hear to rope me into getting it. His first lie was telling me that it's ok to get the shot only 2 days after stopping subs and the second was when he said the only side effects would be that I would feel tired for around 3 days and then I would be fine. I was NOT fine at all. I suffered through the worse 7 days of precipitated withdrawal of my life which included but was not limited to vomiting diarrhea cold sweats restless legs convulsions pain at the injection site complete insomnia always cold depression and anxiety. 9 days in most of it is over except the depression anxiety and insomnia still linger in full force. I sure hope it gets better. I'm not looking to use I just want to not feel this way anymore. If you have any experience on when this will all go away I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!